posterior lens capsule...

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyenerd123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, i'm learning about anterior/posterior lens capsule in lab,

I was wondering if anyone had tips on how to tell if they are focused on the POSTERIOR lens capsule? it's difficult for me to tell whether i'm focus on it or not...please share any tips you guys got, it'd be much appreciated.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

is it when the back beam is in focus? does that make sense to anyone?

Bring the beam in from the side on a slight angle, focus on the anterior capsule and then just push forward a little bit. The posterior capsule will come into focus and it will be obvious.

Members don't see this ad :)
KHE - i'm not sure if this is going to make sense, but I will try... I usually have no problems w/ the anterior capsule, but from there, if i push the slit lamp forward just a little bit, I can get my back beam focused, is that how you know?

hi, i'm learning about anterior/posterior lens capsule in lab,

I was wondering if anyone had tips on how to tell if they are focused on the POSTERIOR lens capsule? it's difficult for me to tell whether i'm focus on it or not...please share any tips you guys got, it'd be much appreciated.

thanks!

It can be tough, no doubt, especially when there is dense cataract (as this will make it impossible for the posterior capsule to appear very clear). I'd suggest (somewhat as KHE has recommended) narrowing down to a bit wider than a parallelopiped. Start by focusing on the iris, as — given all its fine detail — this tends to be straightforward; have your beam between thirty and sixty degrees. The anterior lens capsule and the iris are at approximately the same focal plane, so you now will be focused on the former, as well.

Now, push your lamp forward, which will move you through the patient's crystalline lens. Eventually, you should reach a point where the beam is sharp again — this is the posterior capsule. If you go past this, you'll be in the anterior vitreous, which also is important to examine, but which will not give you a "surface" on which to be focused.

P.S.: Another fun one is learning how to know where in the vitreous you are. :D

The posterior capsule will come into focus and it will be obvious.
6PckcN