Postop Rotation (Where to study?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JWebar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Next month I begin my rotation in the post anesthesia unit and I was wondering where to study for it...
Do you know any good sources for studying about post anesthesia care and postop complication management? Are there any good textbooks about this or should I just stay with Miller/Barrash?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are usually some chapters about the post-anesthesia period in the big textbooks. They'll go over some of the usual problems: adequate pain management, PONV, thermoregulation, as well as some more urgent situations such as emergence delirium, somnolence, altered mental status, hypotension, residual NMB, hypoxia, etc. Most of it isn't difficult to manage, but things can happen in the PACU. It might have just been my luck, but my 2 week rotation through PACU was almost like a mini-ICU rotation. I had to cardiovert someone, code someone, deal with delirium, reintubate, etc.

And then of course I had to do lots of signouts.

It can be a pretty easy block, so find some time to study.

You don't need to study. It's just being a doctor. Use what you know. Problems you will deal with in likely descending order of occurrence: pain, nausea, blood pressure, glucose, respiratory function, emergence delirium, etc.

PACU rotation is good for seeing what your patients look like 15-45 minutes after you drop them off. As a resident when you get them to PACU they are likely fairly somnolent and not complaining of anything. Now you can see what the after effects of your anesthetic look like and it will hopefully help you better plan your intraop management.