Postpartum Psychosis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jules A

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is discouraging to read in news that lawyers are criticizing medicating postpartum psychosis. In my limited, anecdotal experience the cases I have seen in ED or inpatient were generally admitted on SSRI only or if on antipsychotic woefully under-dosed.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Really sad case. I can’t find the article that listed Seroquel as 50mg but here is the gist of what has been written:

“Her defense attorney, Kevin Reddington, alleged that Clancy– who faces first-degree murder charges – was a victim of a health care system that fails women with “postpartum depression – and even postpartum psychosis.”
He claimed that she was prescribed drugs– including Prozac and Seroquel — that included homicidal ideation among their side effects.”

and:

“Her defense attorney claims the mother of three was overmedicated, taking 12 different types of antidepressants when she allegedly took the lives of her three children last Tuesday in their Duxbury home, WCVB reported.
"Her husband actually went to the doctor the week before and asked for help and said, you know, you're turning her into a zombie and it was just a brutal, brutal existence that they were living," Reddington said.
Reddington said he is considering arguing in court that Clancy lacked criminal responsibility because of those medications.”

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve been following this case too. I’m not sure if this person was over medicated we all know it’s commonplace. I’ve been wondering how this case might impact prescribing practices if this argument holds up in court.

Reactions: 1 user
I understand only the very general outlines of this case because I can't bring myself to read the tragic details.

But it really strikes me that when people who are not in treatment for their mental health act violently, politicians and the media raise a great hue and cry about how we need to 'fix mental health care' so people don't 'slip through the cracks.'

Then when someone who is in active treatment gets violent, all of a sudden it's the fault of the clinicians who 'overmedicated' her with drugs that 'cause homicidal ideation' (??).

Reactions: 13 users
I understand only the very general outlines of this case because I can't bring myself to read the tragic details.

But it really strikes me that when people who are not in treatment for their mental health act violently, politicians and the media raise a great hue and cry about how we need to 'fix mental health care' so people don't 'slip through the cracks.'

Then when someone who is in active treatment gets violent, all of a sudden it's the fault of the clinicians who 'overmedicated' her with drugs that 'cause homicidal ideation' (??).
We’re in a no win situation I guess. Whatever happens mental health is culpable. Bad outcomes don’t exist. We somehow have the power to control all outcomes.

Reactions: 8 users
We’re in a no win situation I guess. Whatever happens mental health is culpable. Bad outcomes don’t exist. We somehow have the power to control all outcomes.

Remember, this is her defense attorney who's saying this. The defense attorney whose primary ethical obligation is to try any method to get his client a lighter sentence, even if she's guilty of the crime committed. This is not unexpected.

Reactions: 2 users
Another classic case of treatment causing disease fallacy.

”They were COMPLETELY NORMAL until they started those meds doc, I swear!”

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Remember, this is her defense attorney who's saying this. The defense attorney whose primary ethical obligation is to try any method to get his client a lighter sentence, even if she's guilty of the crime committed. This is not unexpected.
Absolutely but when lay people read this it is likely leaving a lasting negative impression of medication and who knows how many women struggling will be afraid to take much needed medication. Blaming the medications, blaming the psychiatrist what a lousy way to attempt to justify a tragedy. I can't find the article I saw with what was supposedly the actual last regimen not the entire med trial history as above. If I recall it was only maybe 3-4? A SSRI, Ltg, low dose Seroquel possibly Mirtazapine? I can't speak for her case but in my opinion and experience Seroquel 50mg is definitely not overmedicating a patient with postpartum psychosis.

Reactions: 4 users
Absolutely but when lay people read this it is likely leaving a lasting negative impression of medication and who knows how many women struggling will be afraid to take much needed medication. Blaming the medications, blaming the psychiatrist what a lousy way to attempt to justify a tragedy. I can't find the article I saw with what was supposedly the actual last regimen not the entire med trial history as above. If I recall it was only maybe 3-4? A SSRI, Ltg, low dose Seroquel possibly Mirtazapine? I can't speak for her case but in my opinion and experience Seroquel 50mg is definitely not overmedicating a patient with postpartum psychosis.
This is the same for kids... I saw a NY times article about how a kid was on 10 medications but they counted two pills of the same medication (Prozac 10mg+20mg for a total of 30mg) as two medications, not to justify this medication regimen.

overmedicated? she strangled her kids, seems like she may have been undermedicated, especially if seroquel 50mg. Im guessing she may of had psychosis but was functional and perhaps people were not quite aware of how bad it had gotten. That's my guess at least. The idea that she became homocidal from prozac and seroquel is laughable. The easy counter to that is if that were the case then the world would look like an episode of "the last of us" with amount of people on prozac. This lawyer is reaching. He should stick with the insanity plea. Also I wonder if there was any substance use- not impossible.

People have this weird idea that we can fix acute psychosis from simply talking to someone sweetly, rather than using evil medications.

Reactions: 5 users

What's wrong with an insanity defense? Seems more appropriate to the situation vs maligning the treatment providers.

Reactions: 8 users
What's wrong with an insanity defense? Seems more appropriate to the situation vs maligning the treatment providers.
Show me an attorney who loses 5 seconds of sleep over "maligning the treatment providers" and I will bake you a cookie myself.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Because he's a criminal defense lawyer and he's going to do anything possible to get his client off or get a lighter sentence for her. That's quite literally his job. So yes I bet they try for an insanity defense as well. Why would he care about the doctors? They aren't his client.

I just wouldn't phrase this as "It is discouraging to read in news that lawyers are criticizing medicating postpartum psychosis.". No, a defense lawyer is criticizing these medications in an attempt to defend his client. It's not correct but also pretty expected behavior.

I think he would really have a better argument for the Seroquel having been underdosed rather than over medicated. I can imagine a fair number of reasonable experts who would be willing to testify that. I don't like most of the experts who would try to claim Seroquel 50 is too much.

I can't speak for her case but in my opinion and experience Seroquel 50mg is definitely not overmedicating a patient with postpartum psychosis.
I think he would really have a better argument for the Seroquel having been underdosed rather than over medicated. I can imagine a fair number of reasonable experts who would be willing to testify that. I don't like most of the experts who would try to claim Seroquel 50 is too much.
<Not a doctor or student>
I can't speak to what happened to her but 50 mg to me felt like some dystopian anesthesia. Absolutely hated it. I was given it for Tourette's tics. I couldn't stay awake once I took it, and I was in full blown agitation panic from "fighting" the turning off effect (and no agitation before taking it). It was not like a sedative like a benzo that made me relaxed. Instead it felt like my brain was glitching, like throwing an electric appliance in a bath tub and it was shorting out--like I was having to go to sleep in the middle of the day while having some sort of epileptic type feeling. I'd eventually fall asleep in a type of fit. I started taking it at night once I knew I was already falling asleep so I wouldn't feel that feeling (meaning its onset was after I was already asleep). Eventually stopped it. Seemed to have no effect on Tourette's tics one way or another. But the name "major tranquilizer" for that class is fitting. From my understanding the sedating effects are not linear, and the husband was complaining she was like a zombie. I could see that at 50 mg. Not over-medicated for treating psychosis, but I could see how the perspective would be over-medicated just because it's such an incredibly sedating (and in my case dysphorically sedating) drug even at a low dose.

I don't know if she was having psychosis or not, but if she was, I don't know why you would use Seroquel which you can't quickly titrate up.

I can't speak to what happened to her but 50 mg to me felt like some dystopian anesthesia. Absolutely hated it. I was given it for Tourette's tics. I couldn't stay awake once I took it, and I was in full blown agitation panic from "fighting" the turning off effect (and no agitation before taking it). It was not like a sedative like a benzo that made me relaxed. Instead it felt like my brain was glitching, like throwing an electric appliance in a bath tub and it was shorting out--like I was having to go to sleep in the middle of the day while having some sort of epileptic type feeling. I'd eventually fall asleep in a type of fit. I started taking it at night once I knew I was already falling asleep so I wouldn't feel that feeling (meaning its onset was after I was already asleep). Eventually stopped it. Seemed to have no effect on Tourette's tics one way or another. But the name "major tranquilizer" for that class is fitting. From my understanding the sedating effects are not linear, and the husband was complaining she was like a zombie. I could see that at 50 mg. Not over-medicated for treating psychosis, but I could see how the perspective would be over-medicated just because it's such an incredibly sedating (and in my case dysphorically sedating) drug even at a low dose.

I don't know if she was having psychosis or not, but if she was, I don't know why you would use Seroquel which you can't quickly titrate up.
I think what is missing here is that psychosis is not the same across the board. There are various levels and severities of psychosis. Many people can respond well to a low dose seroquel. You don't treat a tiny mouse with a horse tranquilizer. I appreciate hearing your perspective. There are a lot of details of the story that we just aren't aware of, and, seroquel 50mg may have been an appropriate dose for her symptology at the time it was prescribed. In an ideal world if there were concerns about her safety, she would have been prescribed an involuntary hospitalization for observation and treatment.

So obviously everyone will react differently to medications, but your experience with seroquel is extremely atypical. At 50mg you're basically just taking an anti-histamine with some anticholinergic effects, so you might as well have been taking benadryl from a physiologic perspective. It doesn't really start having serotonergic effects until around 200mg and doesn't really start hitting dopamine until around 400mg. It does have linear effects, and unless your doc was planning on increasing by quite a bit I'm surprised you got it for tics.

It's much more likely that Clancy was feeling like a zombie because of another med or a med combo than 50mg of seroquel (or most likely d/t post-partum illness), but I guess it's possible that the seroquel did it. Also, you can definitely titrate seroquel fairly quickly. It's not uncommon to increase by 50-100mg every day/every other day, and for truly psychotic patients who aren't med naive it's not uncommon to start at 200mg and jump to 600mg+ in a week.

I think what is missing here is that psychosis is not the same across the board. There are various levels and severities of psychosis. Many people can respond well to a low dose seroquel. You don't treat a tiny mouse with a horse tranquilizer. I appreciate hearing your perspective. There are a lot of details of the story that we just aren't aware of, and, seroquel 50mg may have been an appropriate dose for her symptology at the time it was prescribed. In an ideal world if there were concerns about her safety, she would have been prescribed an involuntary hospitalization for observation and treatment.
Low-dose seroquel is not effective for primary psychotic disorders. If psychosis is secondary to insomnia, maybe, but for true psychosis? No. If they were suspecting insomnia-induced psychosis in the post-partum setting, benzodiazepines QHS would be first line here anyway. This isn't even an "ideal world" issue. If her psychiatrist knew she was truly psychotic with HI she should have been admitted and they could be legitimately screwed. I haven't read the case in depth, but admitting patients who are psychotic with HI and means to harming their target is standard of care.

20 years ago there would have been less pressure on the psychiatrist as our understanding of reproductive psych was not good (see the Andrea Yates case). Today, we've got actual protocols for this and there's a growing number of reproductive psychiatrists who specialize in patients like this.

So obviously everyone will react differently to medications, but your experience with seroquel is extremely atypical. At 50mg you're basically just taking an anti-histamine with some anticholinergic effects, so you might as well have been taking benadryl from a physiologic perspective. It doesn't really start having serotonergic effects until around 200mg and doesn't really start hitting dopamine until around 400mg. It does have linear effects, and unless your doc was planning on increasing by quite a bit I'm surprised you got it for tics.

It's much more likely that Clancy was feeling like a zombie because of another med or a med combo than 50mg of seroquel (or most likely d/t post-partum illness), but I guess it's possible that the seroquel did it. Also, you can definitely titrate seroquel fairly quickly. It's not uncommon to increase by 50-100mg every day/every other day, and for truly psychotic patients who aren't med naive it's not uncommon to start at 200mg and jump to 600mg+ in a week.

I agree my experience is atypical—I know because it seems like so many people these days are prescribed around 50 mg Seroquel for sleep, and they all seem to like it for that. I had that same soporific effect but did not go down gently. Never been able to tolerate MAC anesthesia either (I know not the same class--but same agitation inducing effects). Only general works for me without causing agitation (although don't emerge from it well).

When I said it didn't have linear effects, I wrote the "sedating effects" are not linear—as in the effects people expect when they use Seroquel to fall asleep. I read the last psychiatrist article on Seroquel a long time ago, and my understanding is that those soporific effects level off at a fairly low dosage due to exactly what you said: the antihistamine receptors getting saturated before the drug then starts to saturate serotonin and dopamine receptors at higher dosages. It's hard to know what exactly the husband meant by zombie, but I was just relating my experience to say that yes 50 mg could be quite soporific. It seems like that's quite common given people take it for sleep. I was saying it was both possible she was undermedicated for her alleged condition (as you state below) but also still *feeling* overmedicated—of course as you said it could have been from any of the other medicines she was on, and there doesn't seem to be a clear account of her regimen. When you say the effect is linear maybe my misunderstanding is that the dopamine saturation is even more sedating—I never got to that level. I couldn't imagine being any more sedated than I was (asleep) on Seroquel, and even though I read that article so long ago I was more under the impression those higher doses started to work on thought process disturbances rather than amplifying that initial sedating effect at the lower level.

Regardless, if psychosis is what she had, wouldn't you want a medicine where you could get to a therapeutic dose faster than a week? The only other atypical I have much knowledge of is Zyprexa, which I believe you can start at a much higher dosage (10 mg or so) that hits dopamine receptors on day 1.

From what i've seen, it seems like 50 mg of seroquel is a modern day nostrum--given for all sorts of ailments, and there's not really enough to speculate whether it was bad prescribing, but as you say below, it's often given for insomnia.

Low-dose seroquel is not effective for primary psychotic disorders. If psychosis is secondary to insomnia, maybe, but for true psychosis? No. If they were suspecting insomnia-induced psychosis in the post-partum setting, benzodiazepines QHS would be first line here anyway. This isn't even an "ideal world" issue. If her psychiatrist knew she was truly psychotic with HI she should have been admitted and they could be legitimately screwed. I haven't read the case in depth, but admitting patients who are psychotic with HI and means to harming their target is standard of care.

20 years ago there would have been less pressure on the psychiatrist as our understanding of reproductive psych was not good (see the Andrea Yates case). Today, we've got actual protocols for this and there's a growing number of reproductive psychiatrists who specialize in patients like this.

the vast majority of psychosis does not significantly respond to 50mg seroquel. In fact if I recall the the start of a therapuetic dose for FIRST BREAK psychosis is around 150mg, for people with their first episode of psychosis, and significantly higher for others. Perhaps in neurocognitive disorder patients 50mg seroquel may be fine, but if someone comes in with psychosis im not going to jump to 50mg seroquel.

I’ve heard Seroquel 50mg referred to as expensive Benadryl.

the vast majority of psychosis does not significantly respond to 50mg seroquel. In fact if I recall the the start of a therapuetic dose for FIRST BREAK psychosis is around 150mg, for people with their first episode of psychosis, and significantly higher for others. Perhaps in neurocognitive disorder patients 50mg seroquel may be fine, but if someone comes in with psychosis im not going to jump to 50mg seroquel.

i agree with your point above. The recommendations for treatment of frank psychosis is around 400mg. There are situations where someone is appropriate to start at 50mg. I think of psychosis as a spectrum. If someone's anxiety level is escalating and has a psychotic element to it, starting at low dose seroquel can be helpful. My main point here is defending the viewpoint that while low dose seroquel does not treat frank psychosis, it can be helpful for patients who are low on the psychotic spectrum, and it can be at the very least an appropriate starting point.

Apparently she was inpatient for 5 days but insurance wouldn’t approve further days. She was doing intensive outpatient per reports.

Apparently she was inpatient for 5 days but insurance wouldn’t approve further days. She was doing intensive outpatient per reports.
Broken system. She probably was not even close to being ready for IOP and no one wants to pay for longer term residential treatment. The stress of trying to do IOP and take care of the kid almost guarantees worsening symptom.

Oh wow, that really boosts her defense (I say as a lay person). I wonder if the insurance company could be held liable?

That is true from a physician's perspective. But the undertreated argument segways into an insanity defense which you may know is not a get out of jail free card, but rather a one-way ticket to the state hospital for at least several years if it's a murder charge, and potentially decades locked in the state hospital. Different states handle NGRI hospital time differently. Some continually reevaluate a person's dangerousness and work towards monitored release from the hospital. Others keep you in the hospital until the maximum of your potential sentence if you had been convicted. Which for a murder charge is the rest of your life.

The argument that the meds made her do it is much more advantageous from the lawyer's perspective. This argument will be an involuntary intoxication type argument, that she took medications in good faith and, through no fault of her own, the meds rendered her incapable of forming the intent to commit the crime. This actually could be a get of jail card if you get a jury to believe it. But in all likelihood the lawyer knows it won't fly with a jury, but it may be leveraged to get a better plea bargain from the prosecutor. Which could mean pleading not guilty by reason of insanity to a manslaughter charge rather than 1st degree murder, so even though you go to the state hospital, you aren't there as long.

Aspects could be wrong because IANAL

That is true from a physician's perspective. But the undertreated argument segways into an insanity defense which you may know is not a get out of jail free card, but rather a one-way ticket to the state hospital for at least several years if it's a murder charge, and potentially decades locked in the state hospital. Different states handle NGRI hospital time differently. Some continually reevaluate a person's dangerousness and work towards monitored release from the hospital. Others keep you in the hospital until the maximum of your potential sentence if you had been convicted. Which for a murder charge is the rest of your life.

The argument that the meds made her do it is much more advantageous from the lawyer's perspective. This argument will be an involuntary intoxication type argument, that she took medications in good faith and, through no fault of her own, the meds rendered her incapable of forming the intent to commit the crime. This actually could be a get of jail card if you get a jury to believe it. But in all likelihood the lawyer knows it won't fly with a jury, but it may be leveraged to get a better plea bargain from the prosecutor. Which could mean pleading not guilty by reason of insanity to a manslaughter charge rather than 1st degree murder, so even though you go to the state hospital, you aren't there as long.

Aspects could be wrong because IANAL
The fact that they are talking about NGRI or NGRII and not competency at this point means that nobody involved actually thinks she isn't going down for these charges. You don't start claiming insanity or involuntary intoxication until a fair amount later.

The real get out of jail free is to remain incompetent for 90 days. In most states that's a golden ticket. Then around 100 days you can have a miraculous and sustained sanity.

Oh wow, that really boosts her defense (I say as a lay person). I wonder if the insurance company could be held liable?
no, its unlikely. The insurance companies only make the decision to cover the stay; they do not tell the doctor whether or not they should be discharged. Ultimately the physician discharges, and in theory can still keep the person inpatient even if insurance stops covering the stay.

When you say the effect is linear maybe my misunderstanding is that the dopamine saturation is even more sedating—I never got to that level. I couldn't imagine being any more sedated than I was (asleep) on Seroquel, and even though I read that article so long ago I was more under the impression those higher doses started to work on thought process disturbances rather than amplifying that initial sedating effect at the lower level.
I'd be interested in seeing that article, as personal experience as well as what I was taught is that sedating effect of seroquel is also linear. However, for my personal experiences this may also be partially d/t patients developing tolerance to the histaminergic aspect of it and requiring higher doses as a result.

Regardless, if psychosis is what she had, wouldn't you want a medicine where you could get to a therapeutic dose faster than a week? The only other atypical I have much knowledge of is Zyprexa, which I believe you can start at a much higher dosage (10 mg or so) that hits dopamine receptors on day 1
You could go up much quicker with seroquel (start at 200mg and increase to 400mg in 2-3 days), but there's just better options imo (like zyprexa). If they legit believes it was post-partum without an underlying psychotic disorder, lithium would be first line anyway.

Yikes, that makes it sound like this was likely a very avoidable outcome and all the more tragic.

You could go up much quicker with seroquel (start at 200mg and increase to 400mg in 2-3 days), but there's just better options imo (like zyprexa). If they legit believes it was post-partum without an underlying psychotic disorder, lithium would be first line anyway.
I've had multiple cases with psychosis over the years and if med naïve my go-to is generally Li + Zyprexa to start. It tends to settle them and get them sleeping fairly quickly.

no, its unlikely. The insurance companies only make the decision to cover the stay; they do not tell the doctor whether or not they should be discharged. Ultimately the physician discharges, and in theory can still keep the person inpatient even if insurance stops covering the stay.
That is shameful. They should have some responsibility.

I'd be interested in seeing that article, as personal experience as well as what I was taught is that sedating effect of seroquel is also linear. However, for my personal experiences this may also be partially d/t patients developing tolerance to the histaminergic aspect of it and requiring higher doses as a result.

Yikes, that makes it sound like this was likely a very avoidable outcome and all the more tragic.

agree zyprexa to stabilize in acute psychosis/mania, can always cross titrate to a weight neutral SGA on outpatient setting if metabolic effects become an issue but priority is to stablize anyways. Ive only ever started seroquel on inpatient setting for psychosis in neurocog disorders

agree zyprexa to stabilize in acute psychosis/mania, can always cross titrate to a weight neutral SGA on outpatient setting if metabolic effects become an issue but priority is to stablize anyways. Ive only ever started seroquel on inpatient setting for psychosis in neurocog disorders
The only times I will choose to start seroquel for psychosis is if A) they've tried a bunch of other meds which weren't helpful and they're losing weight and not sleeping. B) They've been on seroquel before and it worked well. C) They've struggled with EPS even with low potency APs like olanzapine and clozapine isn't an option. For the last group you can obviously try prescribing to control the EPS, but I don't like the polypharm mess and have had a few where we legit couldn't give anything else for EPS (glaucoma + AUD hx + bradycardia).

This is the article:

That is shameful. They should have some responsibility.
Insurance calls themselves healthcare companies and their business model is to prevent treatment and they are shielded from liability. Important point is that we make money when we treat patients, they make money when patients aren’t treated or if they can get us to treat them out of the goodness of our hearts because we aren’t soulless corporate entities.

I wonder what the level of care of the IOP was and what kind of supports were available. Also makes me wonder if we have any evidence to support efficacy of other interventions for post-partum besides medications. I would think that having a granny or nanny would probably be more effective than individual or group psychotherapy which would be the typical IOP, but that’s just my intuition, I work with a younger group s haven’t had much experience with this specific disorder.

Reactions: 3 users
Insurance calls themselves healthcare companies and their business model is to prevent treatment and they are shielded from liability. Important point is that we make money when we treat patients, they make money when patients aren’t treated or if they can get us to treat them out of the goodness of our hearts because we aren’t soulless corporate entities.

I wonder what the level of care of the IOP was and what kind of supports were available. Also makes me wonder if we have any evidence to support efficacy of other interventions for post-partum besides medications. I would think that having a granny or nanny would probably be more effective than individual or group psychotherapy which would be the typical IOP, but that’s just my intuition, I work with a younger group s haven’t had much experience with this specific disorder.

I mean I think anything that means the mother while actively psychotic is spending less time alone with the children is probably going to improve outcomes overall.

I mean I think anything that means the mother while actively psychotic is spending less time alone with the children is probably going to improve outcomes overall.
But are children always or even typically the targets of postpartum psychosis-induced violence? Is that inherent in postpartum psychosis? Is postpartum psychosis unique among psychoses? Are there some normal postpartum processes that aberrate or do the normal postpartum processes in some people produce what but for the timing is bread and butter psychosis? It seems that's common in cases you hear in the media that the mother targets children, but I don't know if that is true as a general rule. Those just might be the cases that garner the most attention, or also that the children are whom the mother is around the most, or that among the violence that takes place in this form of psychosis children are the least able to defend themselves, thus end up dead the most commonly, and thus in the news.

But are children always or even typically the targets of postpartum psychosis-induced violence? Is that inherent in postpartum psychosis? Is postpartum psychosis unique among psychoses? Are there some normal postpartum processes that aberrate or do the normal postpartum processes in some people produce what but for the timing is bread and butter psychosis? It seems that's common in cases you hear in the media that the mother targets children, but I don't know if that is true as a general rule. Those just might be the cases that garner the most attention, or also that the children are whom the mother is around the most, or that among the violence that takes place in this form of psychosis children are the least able to defend themselves, thus end up dead the most commonly, and thus in the news.
I don’t think we are just referring to the extreme negative outcome of violence. I certainly wasn’t. A severely depressed mother, especially one who is psychotic, is going to have difficulty responding to and meeting the needs of their infant appropriately. I am referring more to the attitude of society regarding mental health in general and the conflation of normal mood fluctuations and typical rapid recovery of mild to moderate case with the moderate to severe cases that need a more comprehensive approach to be effective that we are typically working with.

I don’t have a single mild case on my entire caseload right now. About half have a history of severe illnesses that have improved to a more moderate phase and the rest that are struggling with severe symptoms and we are just in beginning phases of treatment. None of these patients are going to be functioning independently and symptom free in 8 sessions or even 8 months. I do get mild people through the door every so often and they tend to get better in a few weeks which is one reason why there are none on my caseload. Also, I don’t take insurance so the mild cases can wait for a counselor covered by their insurance and often get better while waiting. If they don’t get better while waiting, then they get worse and the counselor might not be up to the task. By the time they get to me, they’re often in pretty dire straits. I think the system works best for the insurer. I’m still trying to figure out if I can make it work for me and my patients.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
But are children always or even typically the targets of postpartum psychosis-induced violence?
Most new mothers are not violent. But yes, when violence occurs, the child is the most typical victim.
The child is far and away the most salient individual in the mother's world, and thus often a focus of delusions/paranoia.

Is that inherent in postpartum psychosis? Is postpartum psychosis unique among psychoses? Are there some normal postpartum processes that aberrate or do the normal postpartum processes in some people produce what but for the timing is bread and butter psychosis?
Postpartum psychosis is a misnomer and there is some discussion about renaming it more appropriately. It appears to be a subtype of episode of bipolar disorder. Phenotypically it is not similar to primary psychotic disorders, which often present with negative symptoms like flat affect and social withdrawal. PPP more often presents with an agitated paranoia.

Reactions: 5 users
Most new mothers are not violent. But yes, when violence occurs, the child is the most typical victim.
The child is far and away the most salient individual in the mother's world, and thus often a focus of delusions/paranoia.

Postpartum psychosis is a misnomer and there is some discussion about renaming it more appropriately. It appears to be a subtype of episode of bipolar disorder. Phenotypically it is not similar to primary psychotic disorders, which often present with negative symptoms like flat affect and social withdrawal. PPP more often presents with an agitated paranoia.
Totally agreed that it does not fit very well into the schizophrenia spectrum. It does slot in nicely with the psychiatric tradition that describes the cycloid psychoses, especially if there isn't really a clear affective disorder hx otherwise.

Ah, I see your confusion. Seroquel is an interesting med and does have linear sedation, but like any other med there will eventually be a plateau of the effect once occupancy of the receptor responsible for the sedation (largely histamine here) reaches a high enough level. Seroquel is interesting because it continues to have further effects (though not so much sedating) as you increase dose even once the histamine receptor occupancy has plateaued. So I guess it would be most accurate to say that seroquel has linear sedating effects up to around 300-400mg, but does not at doses above that.

Agreed, my pregnant or postpartum patients who were floridly psychotic with a history of schizophrenia worried me also but in general especially after the birth have presented as rather indifferent toward the baby.