Air Force Potential HPSP. How does it work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mr.mkitty

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I've recently been accepted into a medical school and would be an auto accept for the Air Force HPSP.
When I started college I tried to enter the Air Force but was medically denied due to a hip surgery that I had during high shcool; so, I do truly have an interest in doing the HPSP.
But could someone please walk me through how the residency for HPSPs works? The way I currently understand it is that after medical school you can enter into either civilian residency, or go into an Air Force run residency.
If this is the case, is it difficult to get the option to go civilian? Does the Air Force want their HPSPs to go into their residency programs?

Members don't see this ad.

What makes you think you're not going to be denied again?
Because I was trying to enter the Pararescue program which has strict medical requirements. I assumed the medical requirements were lighter for doctors.

Members don't see this ad :)
These are great questions... However I'd be careful assuming you're an auto accept. Yes the requirements for pararescue is probably higher, but you still have to hit the bar required of every person who puts on the uniform. A conversation you Should probably have with a medical/hpsp recruiter.

Additionally, because my hip injury doesn't
These are great questions... However I'd be careful assuming you're an auto accept. Yes the requirements for pararescue is probably higher, but you still have to hit the bar required of every person who puts on the uniform. A conversation you Should probably have with a medical/hpsp recruiter.
Yeh, it was my mistake to say auto accept since I only meant that I exceed their gpa and mcat requirements. But I would have to figure out the medical issue with my recruiter.
However, can anyone say how the residency works since that's something I'm very curious about.