Potential MCAT 2015 study schedule for retaker from 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erythrocyte666

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have yet to receive my scores, but in case I bomb:
1) should I look for Jan. spot and have 1.5 months or take the new one in April and have much longer time, keeping in mind my biggest issue had been verbal with sciences generally 12-15 from 20 FLs? I'm innately deficient at verbal (avg. 9 after 400+ psg practice), but good at absorbing information; so would the 2015 MCAT give a greater opportunity to "dilute" a deficient verbal score?

2) My rough potential 2015 MCAT schedule: review BS and PS material before winter break, focus only on sociology/psychology and learn in solid detail during winter break with some VR practice, and practice moderately during spring semester.

Members don't see this ad.

If you were averaging 12-15 on your science sections for 20 FLs then your content knowledge seems to be amazingly rounded (presuming the AAMC FLs are part of those 20). I think 1.5 months is enough to hammer down on VR, but I'd recommend a very intensive study schedule with many different opportunities to practice your VR. If an average of 9 after 400+ passages is not good enough for you, even with those science scores, then you may want to consider experimenting with different strategies. The key to VR is really not to study harder, but smarter - and to explain that cliche in the context of VR, this means don't force a strategy that doesn't quite work for you. Sometimes you have to overhaul, but you also need to make constant tweaks.
My advice would be to study VR everyday for the next 1.5-2 months and take a late Jan. test if you can catch a seat.

If you were averaging 12-15 on your science sections for 20 FLs then your content knowledge seems to be amazingly rounded (presuming the AAMC FLs are part of those 20). I think 1.5 months is enough to hammer down on VR, but I'd recommend a very intensive study schedule with many different opportunities to practice your VR. If an average of 9 after 400+ passages is not good enough for you, even with those science scores, then you may want to consider experimenting with different strategies. The key to VR is really not to study harder, but smarter - and to explain that cliche in the context of VR, this means don't force a strategy that doesn't quite work for you. Sometimes you have to overhaul, but you also need to make constant tweaks.
My advice would be to study VR everyday for the next 1.5-2 months and take a late Jan. test if you can catch a seat.

Thanks for the response.
Yes, the 20 FLs include TPR, AAMC, and old Kaplan exams. My biggest concern is that I could barely muster a 9 VR average (probably even lower on the real thing) after 4+ months of studying; how would I raise it 1-2 points in 1.5 months (keeping in mind finals)? Other thing is that I actually need to secure A Jan. spot, let alone the latest one!
I'll most probably be following your advice above if possible, but am I reasonable in assuming that MCAT 2015 gives more potential to "dilute" inferior VR score if Soc/Psych are as content-based as the sciences?

Yes, it would. Others may disagree, but I think you're right in the simple fact that you can afford to miss some questions in the CARS (VR) section of the new test because you'll have more opportunities to make them up in the old science sections (which will have 59 questions instead of 52) and the new 59 question psych section. So the impact of those CARS question are "diluted" as you put simply because there are more questions. But that sword can cut both ways, and a very low score anywhere can hurt you despite a high overall score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it would. Others may disagree, but I think you're right in the simple fact that you can afford to miss some questions in the CARS (VR) section of the new test because you'll have more opportunities to make them up in the old science sections (which will have 59 questions instead of 52) and the new 59 question psych section. So the impact of those CARS question are "diluted" as you put simply because there are more questions. But that sword can cut both ways, and a very low score anywhere can hurt you despite a high overall score.

Seriously, why the heck do they have to give these new fancy names to the sections?! Just makes it more intimidating.
Also, am I right in assuming the psych/soc section to be as content-based as the science sections? If I were to learn the psych and soc as thoroughly as I did the sciences, would that give me a good chance of scoring high despite my verbal deficiencies? OR would the psych/soc section be like half-verbal skills, half-knowledge?

My best guess is that the psych section will be similar to the BS section of today's test in the way questions are asked. I got that vibe from the only AAMC practice test that is currently available, but that's just one test. My bet is that most of the passages will be experimental and the questions will ask you to analyze the experiment from a number of aspects or make inferences based off the information, like the current BS section. And while I think some discretes may be stone cold regurgitation questions, my money's on the majority being more "case-study" examples (think genetics, ex. what is the probability of a son receiving an x-linked recessive gene...).
So after that long-winded response, my answer to your first and second questions is "yes."