Potential MD/PhD applicant- Psych major w/no biomed research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CryingOnTheInside

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am planning on applying for a MD/PhD in the upcoming cycle. Unfortunately, I realized this fact a little late, and I am struggling to find research opportunities for my gap year. It isn't that I have no research (I have a publication in clinical trials with 2 more on their way in psychology), I just don't have any biomedical research. Are there still post-baccs that are accepting applicants into their labs? The only one I have applied to was the NIH IRTA and that was a month ago and I still have not received a reply (but with the current situation, I completely understand). If anyone has advice for me, that would be fantastic! Stay safe everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

There is a physician scientist forum here where you will probably get better answers. @Fencer often has sage advice for people interested in MD/PhD programs.

Well are you interested in pursuing an MD-PhD in "traditional" biomedical science research? If you're background is in social science research and you're interested in pursuing an MD-PhD in the social science or a "non-traditional" field, that is always a possibility. Of course there are not as many MD-PhD programs that cater to such fields of study, but they are out there. Feel free to direct message me if you want more info related to such programs or want to talk about the logistics of non-biomedical science MD-PhD programs!

For the NIH IRTA program: you can't just apply through the portal and expect to get a position. You need to actively reach out to any and all PIs you would like to work with. You may be at a slight disadvantage not having any bench etc. experience going in, but you can leverage the skills you do have (statistics, writing, whatever) to market yourself when you send out emails.

But, if you're planning to pursue a PhD in psych and not a biomed field, you should join a psych-related lab. There are some that mix the two, especially in NIMH (National Institute of Mental Health.)