Potential per-diem job and vacation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeekerofTruth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the situation. I have applied to many places and I have zero luck with any. I have a connection with the director of a pharmacy around 40 minutes away from my house. She is my last hope basically. Otherwise, I'll end up getting a job near campus or no job at all. This is because all the places back home want people all year round, weekdays and weekends. My connection had told me she would let me know nearer to Summer if a position opens up and most likely it would be per-diem on the weekends only.

Meanwhile, my parents have been waiting years to take a certain trip out of the country and this year is the best time for them/us. They're about to book the tickets in a few days. Here's the thing, if I do wind up getting this job, then I will have to miss two weekend shifts. I wouldn't be concerned unless my connection already mentioned it wasn't too worth it for either side for me to come in only on weekends and she knows I won't want to work during the school year. I told her I would come back monthly to work if it was necessary to get this job but she understands that I won't want to. She has another pharm tech who she never calls back to work during the school year and she wants to keep the same situation with me.

The problem - the hospital does not want to open up more than one per-diem tech position for her. What she wants is to hire multiple techs so that every day would be covered.

How am I supposed to live other aspects of my life if people keep me hanging? What she told me was she might either get HR to hire multiple techs or pay me under the table or I can quit once the summer is done. I like any of the options as long as I get a position for the summer. Yes, I already interviewed.

Ideally, I would like her idea of getting HR to let her hire multiple techs so I can take my two weekends off with ease. This would be in the middle of July.

Imagine that she is reading this now and knows who I am....

Anyways, what should I do? If I did get this job, when would be the best time to tell her? Frankly, my parents are going to book the tickets in a few days and they don't really want me to take this job anyways.

Members don't see this ad.