PPI and Serum Magnesium

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

codebluewinniethepooh

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Why long term use of proton pump inhibitors causes decrease in serum magnesium? my search online was not fruitful
Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

because acid promotes absorption of food-bound minerals (non-heme iron, insoluble calcium salts, magnesium) and also vitB12. decrease acidity for long time may decrease all of these.

because acid promotes absorption of food-bound minerals (non-heme iron, insoluble calcium salts, magnesium) and also vitB12. decrease acidity for long time may decrease all of these.
Thank you Faisal 2000, it make sense. Just to comment on your response I don't acid has anything to do with B12, unless it is causes by destruction of parietal cells, in this case it will shut down both acid and B12.

Thank you Faisal 2000, it make sense. Just to comment on your response I don't acid has anything to do with B12, unless it is causes by destruction of parietal cells, in this case it will shut down both acid and B12.

Cobalamin is released from food by gastric enzymes, binds to R-binders released by the saliva and stomach, and then binds to intrinsic factor in the alkaline small bowel. Patients with achlorhydria of any cause do not absorb vitamin B12 because
hydrochloric acid is required to free vitamin B12 from food Cobalamin is released from food by
gastric enzymes, binds to R-binders released by the saliva and stomach, and then binds to intrinsic factor in the alkaline small bowel. Patients
with achlorhydria of any cause do not absorb vitamin B12 because hydrochloric acid is required to free vitamin B12 from food.

(from mayo clinic medicine)