Practice Address

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineMan99

Family Medicine Attending (DO)
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what is an appropriate address and phone number to use on your licenses if you do not have a permanent practice location? Can you use your home address and cell phone number?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, home address and phone number is fine for a medical license. Minimal problem with doing this as you are going to be easy to find anyway.

If you are working locums then you use the locums agency as your "practice address". This is especially important if you work in Texas as your DPS and DEA have to have matching addresses IN TEXAS even as locums.

I am an owner/operator of a telehealth company. Should I change my NPI, state license, and DEA address all to our main office address? I ask this because since it is virtual medicine, patients don't actually show up at any address.

Also, if I have 5 state licenses and my business address is in IL, how do I prescribe meds to a patient living in NY (where I also have a license)? Will the pharmacist in NY think it's weird when I give him/her an IL address as my practice address, or will they not care?

I am an owner/operator of a telehealth company. Should I change my NPI, state license, and DEA address all to our main office address? I ask this because since it is virtual medicine, patients don't actually show up at any address.

Also, if I have 5 state licenses and my business address is in IL, how do I prescribe meds to a patient living in NY (where I also have a license)? Will the pharmacist in NY think it's weird when I give him/her an IL address as my practice address, or will they not care?

You'll need to look into the laws in each state. There are plenty of minefields in telemedicine, as I'm sure you're aware.

Sounds like you need to talk with the DEA about prescribing in multiple states. I know when I change practice addresses due to locums I have to let the DEA know where I am each time.

Sounds like you need to talk with the DEA about prescribing in multiple states. I know when I change practice addresses due to locums I have to let the DEA know where I am each time.

So you change your DEA address for each assignment? Does the DEA issue you a new certificate with your new address for each assignment?

You'll need to look into the laws in each state. There are plenty of minefields in telemedicine, as I'm sure you're aware.

Yes, I'm very aware of telehealth regulations. It really all comes down to having a state license in the state where you are practicing telehealth. Fortunately, my telehealth company does not prescribe any medications, so prescribing is not an issue.

When I'm asking about prescribing in multiple states, I'm just referring to locum tenens. I do short term gigs in both IL and NY.