Practice vs Actual MCAT Performance and Score... Need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dbouz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I recently took the MCAT and am trying to gauge my score to decide whether I should continue studying or not.

I know people generally say that you tend to score within your average AAMC FL's but is that only true if you perform the same on your real test as you did on your practice? For example, I always finished my practice tests on time and felt fairly confident in my answers, thus my scores tended to be fairly similar (30-34). But on the actual test I ran out of time, had to rush through last passages of each section and did not feel confident at all. In fact, I felt that I had to guess much more than on my practice tests.

Does this mean that I will be the case where I don't fall within my average? I know this question is hard to answer and everyone is different. But for those of you who felt the same way that I do (didn't perform the same way on your actual test) how did your test score compare with your gut feeling and practice tests?

Thank you to those who respond!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,

I recently took the MCAT and am trying to gauge my score to decide whether I should continue studying or not.

I know people generally say that you tend to score within your average AAMC FL's but is that only true if you perform the same on your real test as you did on your practice? For example, I always finished my practice tests on time and felt fairly confident in my answers, thus my scores tended to be fairly similar (30-34). But on the actual test I ran out of time, had to rush through last passages of each section and did not feel confident at all. In fact, I felt that I had to guess much more than on my practice tests.

Does this mean that I will be the case where I don't fall within my average? I know this question is hard to answer and everyone is different. But for those of you who felt the same way that I do (didn't perform the same way on your actual test) how did your test score compare with your gut feeling and practice tests?

Thank you to those who respond!!!

No, this isn't true. At least for me it wasn't. I always finished all of my practice tests with about 10-15 minutes to spare on BS and PS and I usually finished Verbal on time. On the actual exam, I finished BS and PS with less than 5 minutes on each and I ran out of time on Verbal and had to basically guess for all of the questions on the last passage and I felt a lot less confident than I did after my practice tests. I still scored within one point of my average AAMC FL score.

I would say that you should take the time until you get your score back to RELAX. If you scored well and don't need to retake, great, you won't have wasted your time. If you do need to retake, you'll have had the time to clear your head and recharge your batteries and your restudying will be more successful that way.

Reactions: 1 user
No, this isn't true. At least for me it wasn't. I always finished all of my practice tests with about 10-15 minutes to spare on BS and PS and I usually finished Verbal on time. On the actual exam, I finished BS and PS with less than 5 minutes on each and I ran out of time on Verbal and had to basically guess for all of the questions on the last passage and I felt a lot less confident than I did after my practice tests. I still scored within one point of my average AAMC FL score.

I would say that you should take the time until you get your score back to RELAX. If you scored well and don't need to retake, great, you won't have wasted your time. If you do need to retake, you'll have had the time to clear your head and recharge your batteries and your restudying will be more successful that way.

+1

All my best scores for FLs were tests when I felt like I failed.

The real mcat feels harder than the FLs for most people. If you are going to start studying for a retake i'd recommend light studying (e.g., flashcards and small reading each and every day) that way you don't get burntout if you do have to retake and if you dont have to retake it wont be a big deal. Don't judge your score off of post-test thoughts alone.

Also, a lot of people score within in their range or overshot it a little (i did the later). Just wait until April 22nd if you took it on march 22nd. you have 22 more days.

source: I retook my mcat and started studying the day after I took the real deal. I also know what it's like to get burntout studying for the mcat and it is really detrimental. I had to give myself a month space from the mcat at one point and my score shot up just because I wasn't burnt out after that break.