Practicing Dr, choosing branch and reserves vs guard??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Page

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a practicing family physician, board certified, with an MPH in environmental health and a fair bit of disaster management background. I have always been interested in the joining the U.S. military, but continued the civilian route through school residency and my first job.

I would like to serve in the reserves or guard, but am having a difficult time looking at all options comprehensively and objectively to choose which fits my needs/desires best. I have spoken to several recruiters, reservists, guardsman, and active duty military, and while their insight has made me quite confident that this is a venture I want to set forth upon, I still haven't settle on with who. I was hoping that opening this up to a broader audience here might give me some thought to further direct my decision.

There are a few areas I am not quite clear on the differences between the reservs vs guard and between the branches.

1. Educational and professional opportunities, I have a very strong interest in training as a flight surgeon, but I am overall just interested in advanced training that might open doors to more unique opportunities
2. Interesting deployments/experiences etc.
3. Loan repayment

My current sense is that the guard, either air or army offers more along these lines overall. But I have had limited input from any reservists who've had any similar interests who could enlighten me as to opportunities there.

Thanks for your help

Members don't see this ad.

are you small private practice or an employee? (what is your current work environment)

I am an employee, in a large group that would be quite capable and willing to accommodate any absences for military service

Current army guard policy is 90days boots on ground with up to 30days get ready/come back time. Supposedly a cool down abouy 2 years....can't speak reserves. Officer training is about 3-4weeks.

I've heard the air force tends to have nicer facilities