Practicing for Verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dipraman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on taking MCAT in March and most of the people I have talked to have advised me to not start content review now since I will pretty much forget everything. However, I do want to start preparing for the MCAT and I feel like verbal is going to be the hardest section for me. So, I figured the only thing I could do right now is focus on verbal.

I have bought EK 101 verbal and PR Hyperlearning books but I would like so save good bit of those passages for when I really start studying (~December). So my question to you guys is that what types of magazines, journals, etc are good for verbal prep and specifically what things should I focus on?

Sorry for such an open ended question. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, I prepared by reading novels. Pick out some interesting books at B&N and try to allot time each day to reading. Read the news every morning. Doing this will help you with how to read quickly and identify key words and phrases. I know this may sound lame, but READ CRITICALLY!

EK 101 will definitely help you in getting a feel for the kind of questions they will ask you, but there's no silver bullet to tackling passage topics or anything like that. Over my entire course of studying, practice exams, and the real thing, I've encountered so many different topics... Dinosaurs, art, music, psychology, medicine, birds, insects, fashion...

Reading magazines, journals, etc. isn't going to help you with VR. The passages in VR are rarely difficult to comprehend. Rather, it's the ambiguous nature of the questions and answers, and the seemingly arbitrary logic (sometimes you're supposed to make inferences, sometimes not) that make VR hard. The only way to prepare for VR is with a ton of practice passages, and even then you shouldn't expect your score to improve very much from where you start out at.