Practicing in rural location - SCS trial and refer out for implant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PainApp2021

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I might be signing a contract for a rural practice. I would be able to do SCS trials, but would not be able to put in implants due to no ASC/OR. Is it possible to just do trials on my own in the clinic and refer out for the implant to a larger city 2 hours away? Thanks for any input

Members don't see this ad.

I might be signing a contract for a rural practice. I would be able to do SCS trials, but would not be able to put in implants due to no ASC/OR. Is it possible to just do trials on my own in the clinic and refer out for the implant to a larger city 2 hours away? Thanks for any input

Yes. We had this arrangement with a doc in fellowship. He trialed and would send to us for implant. If I’m remembering correctly, he’d let us know when he had a successful trial and send records and images and they’d get scheduled straight to the OR. No preop visit with us to save them the drive. Then one postop visit in a week to check the incision with us. Then back to him.

I do implants for 2-3 local pain docs. Insurance, time consumption vs lack of pay are reasons. I am no better than the average needlemonkey.

Reactions: 1 user
I refer out to surgeons for paddle leads. Keeps referrals going both ways.

Reactions: 1 users