Practicing license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mattylc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a canadian student, doing my residency in Canada.

I was wondering, in the US, is a student having completed a residency in any given speciality (example surgery) allowed to open a private general practice clinic?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a canadian student, doing my residency in Canada.

I was wondering, in the US, is a student having completed a residency in any given speciality (example surgery) allowed to open a private general practice clinic?

There will be insurance and malpractice issues if you are practicing in areas outside of your specialty, but the short answer is that once you have a license within that state, you can practice as a GP regardless of what residency path you took.

There will be insurance and malpractice issues if you are practicing in areas outside of your specialty, but the short answer is that once you have a license within that state, you can practice as a GP regardless of what residency path you took.

What exactely do you need to do to get licensed in a particular state? Is it different national licensing?

1) if you are indeed a resident, please change your status from "Pre Med" to "Resident"; however, in earlier posts you seem to indeed be a Pre-Med which leaves your first post in this thread a bit questionable.

2) there is no national medical license in the US

3) each state has their own requirements in terms of what is required for a state medical license. Here are the requirements in terms of GME. There are other requirements outside of that and you would have to contact the individual state.

Moving to the Pre-Med forum.