Pre-Dental newbie

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted798281

Good morning everyone!

I am currently a senior college and planning to apply for dental school. However, I do not know exactly the process of register for DAT, what is the minimum GPA to apply, or the process of applying. I am hoping you guys can help me out here. By the way, I am from Houston, Texas.

I am graceful for your help.

Have a great day!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are a senior with little experience with shadowing, volunteering, etc., I would take a gap year and build up a resume.

Reactions: 1 user
What's your overall and science gpa first of all?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good morning everyone!

I am currently a senior college and planning to apply for dental school. However, I do not know exactly the process of register for DAT, what is the minimum GPA to apply, or the process of applying. I am hoping you guys can help me out here. By the way, I am from Houston, Texas.

Have a great day!

Hello fellow Houstonian!

Average GPA for matriculation is right around 3.5 - 3.6 , while average DAT is about 19-20. You register for the DAT test online, prior to actually taking it. There are plenty of seats available, and some people register months ahead.

There is no "minimum" GPA, but I think it's safe to say that you should aim for higher than 3.2ish. You'd also want about 100 hours of shadowing and about 100 for volunteering as well. Keep active in student organizations and build your resume wisely. You'll need 3 letters of recommendation from professors so schedule meetings with them and give them all the necessary information.

Since you're in Texas, you'll want to complete an application on TMDSAS, which will apply you to the 3 in-state schools we have. In addition, if you want to apply out of state, you'll need to complete an application on AADSAS as well. The cycle opens around May-June, and it's recommended that you apply as soon as you can!

Good luck! Don't hesitate to come back to this forum for more information.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello fellow Houstonian!

Average GPA for matriculation is right around 3.5 - 3.6 , while average DAT is about 19-20. You register for the DAT test online, prior to actually taking it. There are plenty of seats available, and some people register months ahead.

There is no "minimum" GPA, but I think it's safe to say that you should aim for higher than 3.2ish. You'd also want about 100 hours of shadowing and about 100 for volunteering as well. Keep active in student organizations and build your resume wisely. You'll need 3 letters of recommendation from professors so schedule meetings with them and give them all the necessary information.

Since you're in Texas, you'll want to complete an application on TMDSAS, which will apply you to the 3 in-state schools we have. In addition, if you want to apply out of state, you'll need to complete an application on AADSAS as well. The cycle opens around May-June, and it's recommended that you apply as soon as you can!

Good luck! Don't hesitate to come back to this forum for more information.

Hey thank you so much for your information. My GPA is 3.2 right now. I am trying to finish my bachelor this year and study for DAT over summer. And if you have taken the DAT, can you please tell me what is the hardest section and how did you study for yours? In addition, do you know when is the application deadline for all the schools in Texas?
However, dental hygienist will be my back up plan if I don't get accepted to dental school. Would you recommend to go for dental hygienist first then dental school?

Thank you for your help a lot.

If you study DAT in summer, then your application would go in late. I don't know due dates for schools in TX (but u can find them very easily online. Just go to those school's websites) but most of school's due date is between November and december.
Most of people send in their application around august. For 3.2 GPA you will need solid DAT score (above 20)

Many people struggle with PAT but some people are naturally good at PAT. For DAT prep,check DAT forum. People often post gow they studied and their scores there.

Dental hygienist program is also expensive. Why would you waste your money on the program you don't want? Shadow dentists first, then make up your mind. The average age of acceptees of dental school is 23- 24. You don't have to rush.

Good morning everyone!

Have a great day!

You register for the DAT online. I think the average matriculant has a score of 19-20.

Minimum GPA is usually listed on each school's website. It's best to have at least a 3.0 overall and science GPA so that you don't get screened out. I think ideally you want to have a 3.2+ since the average matriculant has like a 3.5-3.6.

You also want to have a good amount of shadowing. The most common number people say is to have 100+ hours.

Good luck!