Pre-II update letter timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PatentForamenOvale

Reaction score
Hi!

My premed advisor said that it would probably be a good idea to send updates to schools I haven't gotten an II from mid-November so that they're more likely to review it before the holidays to hopefully get me an II in the new year.

I'm just wondering what you guys think about this and how much the timing matters because my lab just submitted a publication (I'm sixth author, which isn't super up there, but its my second ever publication I'm contributed to, so I'm proud of it!) and it likely won't be published until mid-December.

If I submitted in mid-November, I would only be updating on volunteer experience (started in August), getting a TA position, a conference abstract (on the same topic as the publication), and maybe that I got scuba-certified as a fun hobby update (thoughts on this as well?). I feel like these aren't super significant, so if sending the update a month later won't likely make a difference, I'll probably just wait until the publication goes through (hopefully!!) before sending the update.

Tldr; Send update in mid-November with pub still in review? Or hope it gets accepted and send an update in December instead? Also, thoughts on hobby updates?

Members don't see this ad.

Wait for the publication.
Please don't send a hobby update!
Thanks for the reply! One more question-- what about for schools that wrap up interviews early? I know an update likely won't make that big of a difference, but for schools like NYU that finish up IIs early, would it be weird to send my update in November with the arXiv preprint of the publication and a note that the paper is undergoing peer review for a journal? I guess I just don't want to regret not updating them in case it was just enough to tip the scales, but I also don't want to hurt my chances by sending an update that seems insignificant...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply! One more question-- what about for schools that wrap up interviews early? I know an update likely won't make that big of a difference, but for schools like NYU that finish up IIs early, would it be weird to send my update in November with the arXiv preprint of the publication and a note that the paper is undergoing peer review for a journal? I guess I just don't want to regret not updating them in case it was just enough to tip the scales, but I also don't want to hurt my chances by sending an update that seems insignificant...
In other words, why not just send an update? You have nothing to lose because it won't matter if you upset them if you didn't get an II anyway. Are you worried that they will remember in case you have to reapply?

Reactions: 1 user
I more or less agree with @gyngyn and @Mr.Smile12 . An update pre-II about submitting a paper is unlikely to move the needle. But if you're worried you'll miss you "chance" at certain schools, you're unlikely to hurt yourself by sending so if it will make you feel better you can send the letter

Reactions: 1 user