Pre-interview resident dinner...what do you wear?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StarDOc14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If it doesn't specify on the invites... what do you wear to the dinner? Business casual? casual? for women is a conservative dress appropriate?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you can go wrong with business casual. It is highly unlikely that they would expect anything more formal than that and you'll still look decently relaxed if others show up in casual clothes. If the dinner is at a restaurant, you can check their website to get a sense of how formal it looks.

I wore slacks and a button down dress shirt without a tie to every dinner. I felt over-dressed to maybe one or two dinners, but never under-dressed. It's better to feel like you dressed too nicely than not enough.

Business casual. You resident may be in scrubs if coming to the hospital. Sometimes we get caught and have to stay late and do not have time to go home and change. Do not make a big deal about it if they show up in scrubs. Last year this happened to one of our residents and the candidate made a big deal about it. They could not believe she was going out to dinner in scrubs. It happens. Just let it go.

I was planning on slacks and a polo shirt. Is that kosher?