Pre-match - how do make it legit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jklmn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, here's a Fellowship Match scenario that I need to understand; NRMP's policy document is very confusing, and I need clarification: my primary question is: is any part of this a violation of the NRMP's policies?

Situation:
- applicant enrolls in NRMP for fellowship application
- applicant interviews at a fellowship program (that was, at that time, in the Match) he/she decides is his/her #1 choice
- applicant sends "thank you" letter to the fellowship PD, and in that correspondence, applicant explicitly tells the PD, "you are my #1 choice; i am ranking you #1."
- shortly thereafter, fellowship PD contacts applicant to discuss further; in discussion, PD expresses interest in applicant as his/her top fellowship candidate. PD offers applicant the fellowship position outside of the match, but specifies to applicant that in order to do so, applicant must withdraw from the NRMP match process.
- applicant verbally accepts offer for the fellowship position.
- PD emails applicant with "as per our discussion...." --offer for the fellowship position; "please reply to this email to let me know if you accept...."
- applicant emails PD back and again accepts the position via email.
- applicant withdraws from NRMP match process.
- Fellowship PD sends applicant contract to sign for fellowship position.

Anything wrong with the above events? If not, how could this be resolved legitimately? Just need to ensure both applicant and program PD are compliant with all the rules, so all goes smoothly.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.