Pre-match Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RunawayTrains

Reaction score
Hi, I recently pre-matched to my school of choice and had some questions about what comes next.

Is it possible that even though I pre-matched that I will not actually be accepted, the school says that the pre-match is conditional depending on things like transcripts and a background check. I reviewed my transcript and the info I put in my application and they match up perfectly, also I have a misdemeanor that was expunged through a pre-trial diversion but I already listed that on my primary. The reason I am asking is because I have an upcoming interview to a back-up school, and I feel like I should give up my interview seat to someone else, but people have told me to keep all my options open even though I got pre-matched to the school I want to go to.

Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

There was another post here describing why they believed you should vehemently scout all options available to you prior to making your decision. While a common belief among type As (especially younger ones), I don't believe it is helpful.

"The paradox of choice“ by Barry Schwartz provides an excellent discussion of why maximizing choices is often (paradoxically) deleterious, particularly for larger life choices. He describes the difference there between “maximizers” and “satisficers”, with the former earning a marginal amount of more money over the latter, but the latter overall being very successful, and more content with their success, than the former (the maximizers second-guess success constantly, display high neuroticism and stress measures, and are overall much more unhappy):

You can choose to go on your second interview, but if you are content with your pre-match, it will save you time and energy to drop it (you will also be helping another student out in the process). Congratulations on the acceptance, and enjoy your well-deserved time before you start school.

Reactions: 1 user
There was another post here describing why they believed you should vehemently scout all options available to you prior to making your decision. While a common belief among type As (especially younger ones), I don't believe it is helpful.

"The paradox of choice“ by Barry Schwartz provides an excellent discussion of why maximizing choices is often (paradoxically) deleterious, particularly for larger life choices. He describes the difference there between “maximizers” and “satisficers”, with the former earning a marginal amount of more money over the latter, but the latter overall being very successful, and more content with their success, than the former (the maximizers second-guess success constantly, display high neuroticism and stress measures, and are overall much more unhappy):

You can choose to go on your second interview, but if you are content with your pre-match, it will save you time and energy to drop it (you will also be helping another student out in the process). Congratulations on the acceptance, and enjoy your well-deserved time before you start school.

Thanks for the advice! My pre-match offer is a guaranteed acceptance right? I just want to make sure I don't mess up and miss an opportunity because I thought the pre-match was locked in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your prematch is a real offer but all incoming students have to pass a Certiphi background check.
You have divulged the episode so if it matches up with your background check it may go through ok.
Only going through the procedure will tell you what will happen.

Last edited:
Your prematch is a real offer but all incoming students have to pass a Certiphi background check.
You have divulged the episode so if if it matches up with your background check it may go through ok.
Only going through the procedure will tell you what will happen.
Yeah I explained in full detail what happened on TMDSAS, so I would assume that the school sent a pre-match with that information being known

I have never heard of pre-med matching medical school. Is there an algorithm that texas use to do this?

People are happier with more choices; the extremal case of single-option aversion is highly substantiated. People are much happier when they have sufficient time / expertise to research and understand each option. I protest the term “paradox of choice”, which is primarily built on research (of questionable reproducibility) where participants must choose among less / more options in a fixed amount of time. In later interviews, Schwartz admits his claims were not adequately tested before he wrote the book; his responses to new research are purely anecdotal. The boring and “common sense” solution is to allocate an appropriate time for each choice based on how complex / impactful the choice is; this choice seems quite complicated and quite impactful!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users