pre-med after undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jankodejenko

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, this may be a stupid question but I still need help please.

What are the ways to pursue pre-med/med school after graduating from undergrad school. I graduated with a BA in anthropology at ucla with a 3.1 avg, no sciences.

I know there are things called informal post baccs, post bacc, 2nd degree bach (at participating universities), and masters. I'm hearing that you can apply to a school to "just take classes" even after you graduate from undergrad but I believe at schools at ucla after you have graduated you actually can't take any more classes there.

please help! I'm sitting at home doing nothing and i want to move forward!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about UCLA specifically, but you need to go to any school (preferably a 4 year university) and complete the necessary prerequisites. This can be done in a formal post- baccalaureate program, or you can just take the classes at your own pace wherever you choose to go. Post-bacs are simply formal programs that allow students who hold a baccalaureate degree in any discipline complete the prerequisites to med school in a specific sequence, usually in 12-18 months.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, this may be a stupid question but I still need help please.

What are the ways to pursue pre-med/med school after graduating from undergrad school. I graduated with a BA in anthropology at ucla with a 3.1 avg, no sciences.

I know there are things called informal post baccs, post bacc, 2nd degree bach (at participating universities), and masters. I'm hearing that you can apply to a school to "just take classes" even after you graduate from undergrad but I believe at schools at ucla after you have graduated you actually can't take any more classes there.

please help! I'm sitting at home doing nothing and i want to move forward!

I believe UCLA has an Extension program where it allows you to take classes a la carte? That would allow you to take the necessary pre reqs for med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I returned to my undergrad institution and re-enrolled under a different major. I had completed an economics degree, and I just returned as a biology student. At my institution, re-enrollment is very easy for a student who has already completed a degree. I filled out a one page form, sent a $20 application fee, and got a letter in the mail confirming re-enrollment a week or two later. Not sure how it works at UCLA, but I imagine that you could enroll under a different major and take additional classes.

The registrar's office at the school you want to attend will be able to tell you what your options are. Just shoot them an email and explain the situation.

If you can't take courses at UCLA, I'm sure there are other schools in the area that would be happy to have you. It's way easier to get into college once you have a degree.

Why not try continuing your studies abroad ? or an internship perhaps? www.diversityabroad.com, this site may help you if you want to consider my advice. I have been under their study and internship program and I can say they can make you maximize the experience.
ooh yes I heard about that and very interested in doing so! thanks!

I'm sure there is a school in your area that will allow you to continue to take classes after you have graduated if UCLA doesn't work out. You're probably best off applying as a degree seeking student rather than just taking courses at large because you will get to register for classes earlier.

Your 3.1 cGPA is pretty low, but with no science courses you could set yourself up for a great sGPA if you do this right.