pre-med at CC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nadooshhxo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in my first semester at a California community college as a Psych major and pre-med. I contacted a couple of UC Med schools:
UCLA: ok to take some pre meds at cc
UCSD: totally ok
UCI: totally ok
UCSF: totally ok, we don't look down upon applicants who took pre-med courses at a CC

I was planning on taking all the pre-reqs at my cc. To look competitive, after I transfer to UCLA, I would take a couple of upper division science classes along with biochem, histology, human physiology at UCLA.

Although those med schools said it was fine, I'm still skeptic. Do you suggest I go through with taking ALL of my pre-reqs at my cc? Or save some for UCLA? Which ones should I save (I was thinking Organic chem)?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Permitting you do well in all of the pre-reqs, it doesn't really matter at all. CC "has the potential to be viewed differently." Ultimately it's about creating a cohesive application that incorporates all of your learning experiences, and if you explain in your application how CC was more financially viable and provided a better learning experience for you personally, there's nothing to worry about. However, medical schools in CA are very competitive -- something to keep in mind regardless of where you complete your undergrad. GPA is ultimately the most important, paired with a good MCAT and good ECs, you can make yourself marketable regardless of where you did your pre-reqs.

Reactions: 1 user
Permitting you do well in all of the pre-reqs, it doesn't really matter at all. CC "has the potential to be viewed differently." Ultimately it's about creating a cohesive application that incorporates all of your learning experiences, and if you explain in your application how CC was more financially viable and provided a better learning experience for you personally, there's nothing to worry about. However, medical schools in CA are very competitive -- something to keep in mind regardless of where you complete your undergrad. GPA is ultimately the most important, paired with a good MCAT and good ECs, you can make yourself marketable regardless of where you did your pre-reqs.
Thank you!! Gave me some hope, I'm planning on doing all except for organic chem at my cc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!! Gave me some hope, I'm planning on doing all except for organic chem at my cc.

I personally know a few people who did prereqs CC and then got accepted into MD schools, so I'm not just saying it to boost your hopes. I took the 2 years of CC path and I'm now in my 3rd year at university doing well-- I felt the educational process was better at CC as well with smaller class sizes and teachers that cared a bit more. (Plus it was SO much cheaper!)

Best of luck to you.

I'm from California too, and transferred from a CC to a UC. I took all of my prereqs at my CC except for the two semesters of physics. Hasn't been an issue for me, still got II's. Chill, don't worry about it.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm from California too, and transferred from a CC to a UC. I took all of my prereqs at my CC except for the two semesters of physics. Hasn't been an issue for me, still got II's. Chill, don't worry about it.
Thanks! How long did it take you at your CC? I figured out taking all the prereqs (except ochem) at the CC & it's gonna take me 3 years..

I did 4 years (!) at a cc and now in my second year at a UC. I also felt that the education at CC was better for reasons listed above. My UC GPA is actually higher than my CC GPA haha. It was the best decision I could have ever made, hands down.

Thanks! How long did it take you at your CC? I figured out taking all the prereqs (except ochem) at the CC & it's gonna take me 3 years..

Took me 4 years, but that's because I started as a nursing major. As others have said, my science classes were much more challenging than the classes I took at UC. I feel like the quality of education I received at the CC was better than at the UC, especially when it came to applying the material to novel situations; I always got the experimental questions in my UC exams correct while all the other students moaned about how it was unfair, they never saw it before. lol

I did 4 years (!) at a cc and now in my second year at a UC. I also felt that the education at CC was better for reasons listed above. My UC GPA is actually higher than my CC GPA haha. It was the best decision I could have ever made, hands down.
Definitely agree, were you a science major?

Last edited:
Californian community colleges are definitely not the same thing as community colleges elsewhere in the US.

Why do you say that?

I know for sure that CCs are largely looked down upon by many medical schools in the country (I'm not talking about Californian CC). Typically because it is very easy to get into a 4 year college in vast majority of states.

I know for sure that CCs are largely looked down upon by many medical schools in the country (I'm not talking about Californian CC). Typically because it is very easy to get into a 4 year college in vast majority of states.
CC is CC lol How can you say California cc is more credible than any other cc?