Pre Med At Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

haus55

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will caribbean schools accept pre med sciences from a community college? The reason I ask is that i have my degree in finance and have a pretty good job and the only place with night science classes near me is a community college. I am in Chicago land if anyone knows of anywhere else. I wish to go part time after work.

Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

The best thing to do is to call the schools and ask them. They have admissions counselors who can answer these questions, and are happy to do so.

You'll get the most accurate info this way.

has anyone in here gone to a caribbean medical school who did some sciences at a community college? if so which school? thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
You can do them there but be sure to get A/A+ because CC courses might be considered easiet than university courses.

That has come up with at least one person I know.
University courses are considered "harder."

sciences have never been a problem, i took my biologies at the university of illinois at chicago and got A's in both of them. I dont plan on getting any less than an A at the community college. Some backround, i am looking into going to a caribbean school because i screwed my gpa up my first 2 years in college because i never went to class as i had to work full time. I got A's in AP chem and Physics in H.S. which used the same books as the univ of illinois. I cant quit my job to go school full time and take these classes during the day thats why i want to go to a cc. If i get A's in the remaining sciences i will have a 3.85+ science gpa, the problem is i have a 2.5 cumulative because i majored in finance and didnt go to any lecture or do any homework for two years. Here are my questions: will a 2.52 overall with a 3.85+ science gpa disqualify me from american med school? Second, if i get A's in the sciences i take at the CC, Will schools in the caribbean care they were at a CC? Particularly SGU, Ross, AUC thank you all for your time

McGillGrad said:
You can do them there but be sure to get A/A+ because CC courses might be considered easiet than university courses.

I can speak first hand that IN NO WAY are CC classes easier then University classes at least where i went.. I took all my pre-reqs (except inorganic 1 & 2) at a university and recieved all A's in them, with the exception of physics 2.......my first year i took inorganic chemistry at nassau community college in NY (its considered one of the most respected CC in the US) and recieved B+ in both inorganic one and 2

I believe as long as you do well u should be fine
I know people who did pre reqs at NCC transfered to 4 year university' s and are now in both US MD and DO programs

MSc44,
Who did u have for Inorganic at Nassau?
I'm actually going to take Inorganic 2 at Nassau this Spring, though I'm doing Stony Brook Post-Bacc... but Chem 132 was filled so I had to take Inorg 152 at Nassau so I can take Orgo over the summer.
Would u consider Nassau on the same level of difficulty as Stony Brook? (I took Chem 131 at SBU and got an A-... i figured i'd get an a at Nassau?