Pre-med club worth putting on application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wayves

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before, but at my school we have a very active premed club and we do community service and invite docs from the affiliated med school/hospital to give lectures. I'm wondering if it's worth putting this down? I know a lot of people don't believe in "pre-med clubs" but I spent a lot of time doing things with them including volunteering. I really don't think it's fair to completely leave it off. What do you think? Is there a way I could count some of the things we did? I didn't hold a leadership position but I participated a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

If it's something that you think is meaningful enough, put it on there. Don't put it on just because you think it's bad to not have 15 activities.

You did stuff, so sure. That's part and how you spent your time and if you want to convey that, there's no reason not to, as long as it's not the cornerstone of your app.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you volunteered a lot and did other things there, and you really enjoyed being in it, then for sure put it down!

Pre-med clubs have a bad rep because often, people assume that one can just join one and automatically assume some special status. But if you love being with the people there and like what the club does, then don't be afraid to admit it. Even if you're a participant, if you've been doing something on a regular basis within the club, that's worth putting because it will show admissions that you did something long-term.

Of course, it might just be that I'm biased because I'm in a pre-med club myself...that I really, really, REALLY like...:nod:

If you volunteered a lot and did other things there, and you really enjoyed being in it, then for sure put it down!

Pre-med clubs have a bad rep because often, people assume that one can just join one and automatically assume some special status. But if you love being with the people there and like what the club does, then don't be afraid to admit it. Even if you're a participant, if you've been doing something on a regular basis within the club, that's worth putting because it will show admissions that you did something long-term.

Of course, it might just be that I'm biased because I'm in a pre-med club myself...that I really, really, REALLY like...:nod:

On the application, it isn't labelled "extracurricular activities". It's "experiences". What experiences do you gain by being a "member" of a premed club? Attending general meetings and socializing certainly is using your time, but how much value does that add to the overall picture of you as a person?

Compare that with someone who spends time counseling at risk youth or volunteering at soup kitchens. Nothing is forbidden from being put on an app, but you should put it into perspective. Why do admissions want you to list experiences?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sure this has been asked before, but at my school we have a very active premed club and we do community service and invite docs from the affiliated med school/hospital to give lectures. I'm wondering if it's worth putting this down? I know a lot of people don't believe in "pre-med clubs" but I spent a lot of time doing things with them including volunteering. I really don't think it's fair to completely leave it off. What do you think? Is there a way I could count some of the things we did? I didn't hold a leadership position but I participated a lot.

I've been feed this SDN kool-aid for years and don't really care for it. If you have done something meaningful in your premedical club, then put it down.

In my club we don't have "general meetings". We have events. Additionally, there are pretty strict attendance policies to stay in the club. We also partner with the medical school and have medical student mentors. Also, I think next year I will be elected treasurer. Will this change anything?

As long as you can write something meaningful about it with 750 characters (or an additional 1300ish characters if it's one of your "most meaningful activity"), then totally put it down.

If you have been already elected treasurer, then mention it. It will show that people picked you, because they saw your commitment to the club. If not, then don't put it down.

I had been in my club for 4 years and was an officer. It was a very meaningful experience for me.

On the application, it isn't labelled "extracurricular activities". It's "experiences". What experiences do you gain by being a "member" of a premed club? Attending general meetings and socializing certainly is using your time, but how much value does that add to the overall picture of you as a person?

Compare that with someone who spends time counseling at risk youth or volunteering at soup kitchens. Nothing is forbidden from being put on an app, but you should put it into perspective. Why do admissions want you to list experiences?

True, but that doesn't mean that you can't say that you didn't have any experiences because of it. I know some clubs do regular volunteering at the same place. But yeah, I agree that there's a big difference between "member" and "actually did something interesting."