Pre-Med courses taken at Community College?? (and during HS) ANY AND ALL HELP WELCOME!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaylaleilani

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, please take the time to read. It looks longer than it actually is, I PROMISE! :nod:

I am currently a junior in high school who plans on going to medical school; however, I am part of a program called middle college, in which I take college classes at a local CC in order to fulfill both high school and college requirements. Before I graduate high school, I plan on taking a bunch of general education classes (arts and humanities) but also the following classes which overlap and fall under the category of "pre-med" requirements. My main concern is how medical schools will view these credits, especially the fact that they will be taken during high school. SPECIFICALLY Chemistry and Math....

MATH SEQUENCE:
finite mathematics (currently in)
trigonometry (needed for physics)
then either:
pre-calc + applied calc
OR statistics

BIO CLASSES:
human biology
human anatomy
intro to the life sciences (a introductory bio class for non science majors.. didn't have the best HS bio teacher so i plan on taking this before general biology so i can be adequately prepared)

CHEM CLASSES:
general chemistry - two semesters (the reviews on this teacher from fellow students are great, they say she really teaches a lot, ivy league grad, etc.) OR elementary chemistry, a one semester class as review/preparation - and just wait to take the chem sequence + ochem at a 4 year

PHYSICS:

preparation for physics course to be taken the semester before i graduate hs

-

The thing I am most conflicted about is chemistry. I really want to take it from this professor. Should I? And if I do, when I go to a four year university should I take OCHEM directly after? Or possibly even take the same chem class again at the university since the previous had been done although at a college, while still in HS and to prove I can handle higher institution coursework?

Members don't see this ad.

I tested out of physics/maths/chemistry/english. All but english I repeated in uni to show I could handle the increased rigor of the coursework.

You will probably still want to do a year of chem/bio/physics/math at university to show you can handle it, but at a lot of universities having these CC credits will let you skip the introductory sequence and go straight into the more interesting 200 and 300 level classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you take some upper-level science classes at a 4-yr school, to show you can handle the work, you'll be fine.

If you keep the credits, you can get into upper-level courses rather quickly, which are usually more interesting than the intro classes. The difficulty of these courses can vary, and you should generally take one semester of a higher-level subject for each semester of a pre-req that you fulfill with dual-enrollment credit.

If you decide to retake, you'll have the luxury of prior exposure to the material, which would certainly help as you adjust to the academic rigors of a 4-yr institution. Only downside is that you might get bored with the repetitiveness

Take chemistry in your program, and then decide which of these two situations would fit you better!

Reactions: 1 user
ok
If you keep the credits, you can get into upper-level courses rather quickly, which are usually more interesting than the intro classes. The difficulty of these courses can vary, and you should generally take one semester of a higher-level subject for each semester of a pre-req that you fulfill with dual-enrollment credit.

If you decide to retake, you'll have the luxury of prior exposure to the material, which would certainly help as you adjust to the academic rigors of a 4-yr institution. Only downside is that you might get bored with the repetitiveness

Take chemistry in your program, and then decide which of these two situations would fit you better!

alright thanks!