Pre-med Help NEEDED!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kady

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had an ok first year (3.0 GPA), second year was horrible (dropped to 2.00--failed 1 class). Third year I got nearly all 4.00's in all 10 classes. But my GPA is still around a 2.45.

I calculated, that if I get 4.00 all through 4th year, my GPA will only go upto a 3.00.

What should I do? Will I get into medical school? What are my chances?

PLEASE HELP ME! I am completely losing it now

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe? Can you get in to medical school with a 3.0? Yes. It is possible. Will you get in to medical school with a 3.0? Who knows? We don't know what the rest of your application looks like. What you get on the MCAT (hint: you need to score high) will be a big factor, what your clinical experience is, where you decide to apply. (DO schools or just MD schools?)

It's hard to say based off of the very limited information you have given. My advice is to focus on trying for that 4.0 for the next year. When you know what your final GPA looks like then you will be able to really assess your application. Right now it is just speculation.

Schools like upward trends. If you have two solid years of all A's, that could potentially balance one horrible year. Just make sure they realize it's not a fluke.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to knock the MCAT out of the park. Also, you might want to consider post-bacc or DO programs.

Take classes you enjoy and do well in them to boost your gpa. Consider a post-bac if you didn't do so hot in your pre-reqs.

It is ok that you are worried. But, it seems like you have a really good upward trend going on. If you focus on that upward trend and do really well from now on, you may have a better shot rather than just coasting.

My advice:
-Do well on MCAT
-Keep the upward trend
-Polish your resume (clinical experience, ECs, blah blah etc.)
-Apply broadly
-Go to a post bacc if necessary

G'Luck

I had an ok first year (3.0 GPA), second year was horrible (dropped to 2.00--failed 1 class). Third year I got nearly all 4.00's in all 10 classes. But my GPA is still around a 2.45.

I calculated, that if I get 4.00 all through 4th year, my GPA will only go upto a 3.00.

What should I do? Will I get into medical school? What are my chances?

PLEASE HELP ME! I am completely losing it now

If you end with a 3.0, even with a strong MCAT (35+), your best option (of course, imo) is still osteopathic medicine. Most MD schools will have difficulty justifying accepting a 3.0 uGPA.

That being said, the 3.0/35 would make you a great candidate for DO school (based on numbers only, since we have nothing else to work with). Some DO schools may request you to do a year of Postbac to replace grades from that sophomore year.

If MD is what you want, then you have some extra work coming up. MD applications don't let you replace grades like DO schools. Instead, MD schools average your 2 grades. It would take forever for you to pull your GPA to something competitive. Therefore, I think your best option is an SMP (Special Masters Program) as preparation for applying to MD schools. The SMP GPA gives you a whole new graduate GPA to show schools. Your uGPA won't disappear, but a 3.0 with a strong SMP (3.5 minimum) and a good MCAT (32+) would set you up for some interviews at the less selective schools.

I

Last edited:
I really appreciate the help. But I also really want to get into Med School.

Please note that DO school is also 'Med School.'

My MCAT scores is 33 overall. And I have two years of research experience in a neuroscience lab. And I also have 2 years of volunteer experience in Hospital setting (assisting patients during their day surgery and attending surgeries). I'm also very involved on campus (human rights activist).

Will my background boost my potential to get into Med-school?!

That stuff will definitely help, but your (potential) 3.0 will still be a lot to overcome. You really need to try and push out a publication from that 2 year research experience in order to have something outstanding on your application. You also have not mentioned clinical shadowing - something you would certainly need.

An MCAT of 33 is an excellent score in general. Unfortunately, imo, if you are shooting at MD schools, a 3.0/33 still won't cut it. Perhaps your state schools if you're lucky (that is, you're not from CA/TX/MA). Basically, you would need more "outstanding" stuff to try and get into MD schools with a 3.0/33. Note that you would be a great candidate at DO schools, where average acceptance last year was 3.5/27 I believe. You are sort of flip-flopped, but that upward trend will be nice to talk about.

DO's are not considered physicians in Canada and thats where I am from and where I want to practice.

Oh, my bad. Just know that on this forum, pre-DO, DO students, and DOs may be a bit offended if you suggest they are not physicians.

And in terms of clinical shadowing, what exactly are you referring to.

Clinical shadowing means basically following around a doctor. Getting to understand how he/she interacts with their patients, and if possible, watching them in the OR (obviously, if they are a surgeon).

Are there schools that I have a potential of getting into to.

With a 3.0 (that you don't have yet) and a 33, I really don't think so. Others may contradict me, but that is my opinion. It will be really tough without raising that GPA further.

I would agree that with a cGPA of 3.0 and MCAT of 33 that a US allopathic med school admission is highly unlikely. have you investigated the admissions standards in other countries?

Oh, gosh.. sinking into a depression :(

DO's are not considered physicians in Canada and thats where I am from and where I want to practice.
This statement is not true for all of Canada. here is an exerpt from an International Practice Rights summary on the Pre-osteopathic Forum:
Canada

Alberta
Scope of Practice: unlimited

British Columbia
Scope of Practice: one licensure pathway provides D.O.s with unlimited practice rights,
and another pathway limits D.O.s to practice OMM

Manitoba

New Brunswick

Newfoundland
Scope of Practice to be determined

Northwest Territories

Nova Scotia

Ontario
Scope of Practice: Unlimited

Prince Edward Island
Scope of Practice: no provisions exist for licensing US-trained D.O.s

Quebec

Saskatchewan
Scope of Practice: limited to OMM

Yukon Territory

DOs are considered doctors in Canada! They are the new up and coming thing. Check out premed101.ca or .com or whatever it is, that pre-med Canadian site! You can come and practice in Canada as a DO!