Pre-med help.

agentscully

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in computer programming as my major, but do med schools look down upon this? Any help will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Supposedly, all majors are considered equal. ADCOMs just want to see that you did well on your prereqs, did well overall, and did well enough on the MCAT.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
While it is generally accepted that med schools do not care what major you are, I have a general rule that I follow:

4.0 + major you like > 4.0 in a major you don't enjoy > low gpa + major you don't enjoy

Ideally you want to be in the first category, and that's generally the case with a strong work ethic and determination. However, it's also generally accepted to avoid being a nursing major, due to taking a spot away from nursing school for someone who actually wants to go into the field and the same can be said for health sciences.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know any med students who were comp sci. majors. That means it's unique. Go for it!

Also a very practical/useful degree to have if you change your mind about med school.

I don't know any med students who were comp sci. majors. That means it's unique. Go for it!

Also a very practical/useful degree to have if you change your mind about med school.

I haven't heard of any comp sci majors entering medicine school although it'd be pretty neato. I had my old English teacher tell me he had to switch his comp sci major to something more easier 'cause he couldn't handle the math. I'm definitely looking forward to learning coding languages. Thank you!

While it is generally accepted that med schools do not care what major you are, I have a general rule that I follow:

4.0 + major you like > 4.0 in a major you don't enjoy > low gpa + major you don't enjoy

Ideally you want to be in the first category, and that's generally the case with a strong work ethic and determination. However, it's also generally accepted to avoid being a nursing major, due to taking a spot away from nursing school for someone who actually wants to go into the field and the same can be said for health sciences.

I will for sure keep this in mind. For a moment I though I had to give up my programming major to major in something else I wouldn't be genuinely interested in.

I will for sure keep this in mind. For a moment I though I had to give up my programming major to major in something else I wouldn't be genuinely interested in.

Not at all, I just know from my friends that computer programming is difficult, but if you can get a good GPA in it, med schools will not care one bit. It's definitely unique as mentioned before. Make sure you cover all the ECs needed and you should be fine. Feel free to message me if you need help with anything.

Adcoms can smell passion. If you are passionate about computer science and medicine then you can definitely do both. I would recommend even using your CS background to help develop software for healthcare services.