Pre med prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Dr. Josh

I'm rather new at this and don't even have a pre med advisor yet so please excuse the stupidity of my question. What are the minimum pre-med prerequistes even if you're not a science major? Does it look bad if those are your only science courses?

Members don't see this ad.

The minimum is generally one year of gen chem, one year of orgo, one year of biology, one year of physics, all with labs. Some schools make you do biochem, and some make you have a year of english and/or a year of math.

I don't know if it looks bad if you don't take more; they like see more advanced courses, I think ,but if you're a non-science major then I guess they don't expect that as much.

Dr. Josh said:
I'm rather new at this and don't even have a pre med advisor yet so please excuse the stupidity of my question. What are the minimum pre-med prerequistes even if you're not a science major? Does it look bad if those are your only science courses?

As long as you do well, you only need to take the minimum requirements. Whatever you end up doing, the most important things are to do well in whatever you study, do well on the mcat, and have a well-rounded non-academic life (volunteering, leadership, research, sports, so on...). Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools also require psychology or x number of units in humanities (although if you're not a science major you probably have that covered easily.)

If you do well in the minimum requirements, that it the most important (as well as the MCAT in those subjects, as mentioned above.) To prepare for the MCAT, our advising office stronly encourages you to take some upper division biology classes including genetics, physiology, and biochem. Although not required by most schools, it can't hurt, and you'll have to study that material in med school anyway.

So I was wondering whether to retake Physics I that I got a C in but I Passed Failed it so it doesn't show up on my transcript. the thing is that I am a senior now so I wanted to take it first semester but I will have already had to apply to schools (mostly DO and a few MD) by them so it's not like they will see my re-attempt at it. I should have retaken earlier if anything. :( But yea, I have two questions:

1) Will they force me to take the P/F option if and want to see the grade since it will appear on my transcript that I did take the course? Or will they let it pass and just wanna see my re-attempt grade?

2) Is it worth it? Should I just take a better higher level biology class and do well in it to prove that I could do it and make up for Physics somehow?

Majorly confused.:confused:

So I was wondering whether to retake Physics I that I got a C in but I Passed Failed it so it doesn't show up on my transcript. the thing is that I am a senior now so I wanted to take it first semester but I will have already had to apply to schools (mostly DO and a few MD) by them so it's not like they will see my re-attempt at it. I should have retaken earlier if anything. :( But yea, I have two questions:

1) Will they force me to take the P/F option if and want to see the grade since it will appear on my transcript that I did take the course? Or will they let it pass and just wanna see my re-attempt grade?

2) Is it worth it? Should I just take a better higher level biology class and do well in it to prove that I could do it and make up for Physics somehow?

Majorly confused.:confused:

IMO, I would retake it bearing in mind any difficulties you had. Pass/fail simply determines whether you finished with a grade above or below 60% (depending on your school). That said the difference between an A and a C is substancial (2.0 vs 4.0) and it would make me question why you took it as pass/fail if I were reading your transcript.

Just my input however, there are people wiser than I who can give you a better answer.

OP: As stated above, ALL schools require 1 year of biology, chemistry, organic chem, and physics. Some schools require social sciences, english, math (usually calc I), biochem, but the biggest thing to remember is to check each individual school (MSAR published by AAMC is the bible for this).

I'm most likely gonna take it again. But the thing is I would have applied already by then with the P on my transcript. Is that allowed?

Because if I take it over the C would significantly lower my GPA despite whether I retook the course or not. I guess I'm asking what's the point of a higher GPA after the primary application unless it's to show them that I can get above a C the second time around.

I should probably also mention that the course is getting in the way (like it's in the time slot which is why I' questioning whether I need it or not) of this course that I need for in order to go thru with my Honors Program Thesis in biology research.