Pre-Med Requirement Layout

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdo0251

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!

I am currently a freshman on the Pre-Med path and was wondering, what are people's thought (and/or medical schools) on spacing out all your Pre-Med Requirement? For example, taking one larger science each semester, such as Biology during Sophomore Year, General Chem Junior, Organic Chem Senior, Physics 5th year with Psych, Soci, and Biochem somewhere during the four years.

Has anyone done that before? Is it looked down upon?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you a nontrad? If you are just coming out of high school this may not be the right board.
At any rate there really aren't any rules regarding the order or pace of prereqs -- lots of us on this board took them all during a postbac well after completing college. Nobody looks down on any of this. Take them at whatever pace youll do well in them and that wont break the bank. The goal is to come away with a high GPA and MCAT score while at some point along the way picking up good health related ECs. If you can do that you will get looked at.

Are you a nontrad? If you are just coming out of high school this may not be the right board.
At any rate there really aren't any rules regarding the order or pace of prereqs -- lots of us on this board took them all during a postbac well after completing college. Nobody looks down on any of this. Take them at whatever pace youll do well in them and that wont break the bank. The goal is to come away with a high GPA and MCAT score while at some point along the way picking up good health related ECs. If you can do that you will get looked at.

Im currently a Freshman in college, going to be a Sophomore. Im nontraditional in a sense that Im not planning on doing the same as everyone; I want a high GPA and a high MCAT with a alot of EC, but I'm a first generation student and have no idea what I am doing. Just wanting to play it smart ... But thank you so much for your response!

Members don't see this ad :)
Check out the pre-allopathic board for answers that more directly apply to you. Like @Law2Doc said, you posted on the board for students who generally did not take pre-reqs during undergrad.

Im currently a Freshman in college, going to be a Sophomore. Im nontraditional in a sense that Im not planning on doing the same as everyone; I want a high GPA and a high MCAT with a alot of EC, but I'm a first generation student and have no idea what I am doing. Just wanting to play it smart ... But thank you so much for your response!

A nontrad is someone who didn't do the normal progression from high school to college to med school. It encompasses the career changers, late bloomers, soldiers and the like. You are a very traditional student, many of whom are first generation students who have no idea what they are doing. As mentioned, pre-allo is the most appropriate forum for your questions. Good luck!