Pre-Med student thinking about switching to Pre-Dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DKB15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After a couple of seminars at my school, dentistry is something that really caught my eye. I attend a HBCU and some of our former students came and talked to us about this career. I know I can shadow my dentist back home. When I told him I was Pre-Med he tried to convince me about dentistry. I mean he is always happy every time I see him. Should I just continue volunteering regularly at the hospital etc... What EC do you guys recommend?

And where should my GPA be for applying? I am an African American male. Going into my second year (Undergrad).

Currently I am at a 3.15 GPA(Freshmen Yr/:shrug:) but I'm expecting >3.3/3.4 by the end of my second year!

Thanks!!!! Just very curious and thrilled to get rolling!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Why do pre-meds always wanna be us.....

Oh yea pre-dents and dentists are cooler.

Reactions: 6 users
Lol I mean I am only 18!

It is even crazier that I have to choose something that I will do for the rest of my life.

I just want to be happy and do something I love!!!

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I think you should start shadowing your dentist back home to start with. Once you get a better idea of which route you ultimately want to take, you can more fully commit to that profession's admissions process. The 2014 ADEA guide will answer a lot of your stats-related questions, but for most schools, a 3.5-3.6 will be a good target. I think the big thing for you, no matter what you decide to do, is to focus on rocking all your undergrad courses, particularly your core sciences (Bio, GChem, Orgo, Physics). Once you hit junior/senior year, you can take the DAT/MCAT, and as long as you've been doing your shadowing/volunteering/research, you'll be good to go.

Lol I mean I am only 18!

It is even crazier that I have to choose something that I will do for the rest of my life.

I just want to be happy and do something I love!!!

:)

Do you have any dental or medical experience?

If no, get some.

And get good grades in school.

And learn the 15 rules of surviving dental school, it is somewhere here in SDN

Also I am majoring in
Psychology? Yay or nay?

thanks!

Hip hip hoor-yay

After a couple of seminars at my school, dentistry is something that really caught my eye. I attend a HBCU and some of our former students came and talked to us about this career. I know I can shadow my dentist back home. When I told him I was Pre-Med he tried to convince me about dentistry. I mean he is always happy every time I see him. Should I just continue volunteering regularly at the hospital etc... What EC do you guys recommend?

And where should my GPA be for applying? I am an African American male. Going into my second year (Undergrad).

Currently I am at a 3.15 GPA(Freshmen Yr/:shrug:) but I'm expecting >3.3/3.4 by the end of my second year!

Thanks!!!! Just very curious and thrilled to get rolling!!!

Wow!! That is really cool - i am glad that you are thinking about dentistry. My first suggestion is to keep your grades up. Do everything in your power to study hard to keep your GPA higher.

The hardest struggle in getting into dental school is keeping your GPA high.

you can take the DAT/MCAT, and as long as you've been doing your shadowing/volunteering/research, you'll be good to go.
GYgGEV

Most psych courses won't count towards you science GPA, if thats something you want to show......but as long as you do prereqs it doesn't matter what your major is. My two good friends in dental school are both econ majors.

I did neuroscience and looking back would've picked something else.....

Nope, it is just whenever I go to my dentist back home he always tries to convince me to look into it.

Just want to do something I love and not be 35 stuck with something I don't enjoy doing.

You should consider applying for the 2015 SMDEP (Summer Medical and Dental Education Program). I believe you can apply as a sophomore. More info about SMDEP is here:

http://smdep.org/

Go make friends with the pre-health advisor on your campus. The application will open on November 1 for those interested in Summer 2015 and I think the deadline is next March. I've had friends who have applied and got in, and the experiences they had really made up their minds about what they wanted to do. Good luck!

Yes I was just told about that I def will look into it!