Pre-med vent/frustration thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

byeh2004

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post about the frustrations you are currently encountering right now in your undergrad as a pre-med. I currently attend a university where its really hard to relate to other pre-meds being that they are competitors and non-premeds have no understanding to what goes on in your daily life. I hope this thread may help each one of us relate to each other and maybe give support to one another in the trials and tribulations we face everyday at school.

I'm a psych major and also premed. One of my major frustrations currently is the fact that I always have to postpone my taking of psychology classes that conflict with my core science classes. This quarter has been the second time I had to do this, now I'm wait-listed for a history class in which I have major doubts to which I will be able to get in.

I'm pretty sure everyone of us has encountered this but, don't you hate it when someone who doesn't quite know you in the class persistantly ask you what you got on your midterms? When you tell them you did good, they keep on asking what you got, go through the ranges of the scores, and try to leech that percentage out of you like a freaking interrogator. And the worst thing about it is they have that really friendly looking smile on their face that you can totally see through their facade...

Members don't see this ad.

byeh2004 said:
Post about the frustrations you are currently encountering right now in your undergrad as a pre-med. I currently attend a university where its really hard to relate to other pre-meds being that they are competitors and non-premeds have no understanding to what goes on in your daily life. I hope this thread may help each one of us relate to each other and maybe give support to one another in the trials and tribulations we face everyday at school.

I'm a psych major and also premed. One of my major frustrations currently is the fact that I always have to postpone my taking of psychology classes that conflict with my core science classes. This quarter has been the second time I had to do this, now I'm wait-listed for a history class in which I have major doubts to which I will be able to get in.

I'm pretty sure everyone of us has encountered this but, don't you hate it when someone who doesn't quite know you in the class persistantly ask you what you got on your midterms? When you tell them you did good, they keep on asking what you got, go through the ranges of the scores, and try to leech that percentage out of you like a freaking interrogator. And the worst thing about it is they have that really friendly looking smile on their face that you can totally see through their facade...
haha, I think that SDN is just one big thing that people use to vent their frustrations. but in relation to your grade digging people. it doesn't really matter if they know, unless you are seriously not wanting to tell them. it won't affect your grade and worse comes to worse just make up a number or say "get a life" and walk on. that's one of those things that fades away. one of my best friends never talked about his grades to anyone and he got the rep for that and no one asked him after sophomore year. so it's just one of those things u have to deal with...but it does suck you're surrounded by ppl like that. sorry.

virilep said:
haha, I think that SDN is just one big thing that people use to vent their frustrations. but in relation to your grade digging people. it doesn't really matter if they know, unless you are seriously not wanting to tell them. it won't affect your grade and worse comes to worse just make up a number or say "get a life" and walk on. that's one of those things that fades away. one of my best friends never talked about his grades to anyone and he got the rep for that and no one asked him after sophomore year. so it's just one of those things u have to deal with...but it does suck you're surrounded by ppl like that. sorry.

until they start deleting posts and threads, like last night, and throw already anxious pre-med students over the edge. the mods should not be playing with our already raw emotions and borderline dangerous stress level

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks guys

i got another one i think we can relate to, ok its a monday night and your ready to go study your bio or whatever course you want to study, and then all of a sudden you realize that you havent done your pre-lab prep for chem lab, and your lab is tomorrow.. gosh I hate it when that happens, it knocks like an hour or more away from my studying

byeh2004 said:
thanks guys

i got another one i think we can relate to, ok its a monday night and your ready to go study your bio or whatever course you want to study, and then all of a sudden you realize that you havent done your pre-lab prep for chem lab, and your lab is tomorrow.. gosh I hate it when that happens, it knocks like an hour or more away from my studying

at least you handed yours in. I screwed up last week- I thought the lab write-up was due this week. I went to hand it in, only to find that they already handed back the write-up because it was due last week :mad:

bah

Yesterday I had my first chem-lab. Yeah, I am a very early pre-med student, only my second quarter.
One of the pre-req's for Chem was to have at least a year of high school chem, which I did. But it wasn't the best high school class, just a small class barely funded. I went to a poor country school. We did a few labs, but usually just with a bunsen burner and a flask, maybe an eye dropper, that's it.
So naturally I was lost yesterday when he whipped out pipets and burets. He explained them a little, but I think he saw how everyone knew it (minus me of course) and skipped over it. I felt so confused and lost as I went through the extemelely basic intro-type lab.
My friend helped me but I was still a bit lost as to how to read the buret, and my data reflected this. Seems like everyone else either had a more extensive high school chem, or they took chem 101 a previous quarter.
I'm not trying to whine or make excuses, I plan on going to see the professor during office hours this week before the next lab. I know it's probably not hard at all, I just got flustered and in a hurry. It happens.

ementges said:
I'm not trying to whine or make excuses, I plan on going to see the professor during office hours this week before the next lab. I know it's probably not hard at all, I just got flustered and in a hurry. It happens.

That's exactly what you should do. And don't worry, you're not whining. And once you see your professor, you'll be all set. :luck:

Psycho Doctor said:
until they start deleting posts and threads, like last night, and throw already anxious pre-med students over the edge. the mods should not be playing with our already raw emotions and borderline dangerous stress level

:confused: you mean the monster thingy? i thought it was kinda funny :p Or did something else happen?

don't worry man... the first time i had college chem lab, i felt it was so hectic, but you'll get the hang of it, just always prepare before hand and you'll be fine

You're probably a freshman. Premeds relax as time goes by.

The reason that most people get frustrated is because they think life is a race. If life is a race then nobody is watching and the winners and losers both get shot. Point is- lower your work load and spread it out over more time.

byeh2004 said:

Oh my gosh, I know exactly what you are talking about! Except I did it the other way around.
Rice is kind of small, so they do not offer several sections of classes. Unfortunately, the psyc classes occur at the same time as many of the basic science classes. Since I wanted to be done w/ my major early and I knew I was taking at least a year off, I went ahead and started my basic sci classes that did not interfere (bio, g-chem, orgo lab, bio lab, calc) and took the remainder during the summer over a span of two years.

Now I wondering if med schools will look down on this b/c Rice does not offer most basic sci classes in the summer (so I had to go back home, Los Angeles, to take them. I did really well, but being a pre-med I worry about every little minute detail.

cya!

byeh2004 said:
don't worry man... the first time i had college chem lab, i felt it was so hectic, but you'll get the hang of it, just always prepare before hand and you'll be fine

Thanks for the support :) You too Tinkerbelle. I was pretty discouraged driving home yesterday (I go to a local branch of a University, Ohio State, transfeirng to Ohio U. this fall), but it's my first ever college lab, so no real need to get too upset. Just do all of the pre-lab material and go in and see the prof. for help with the unfamilair instruments.
Thanks again, I love this forum, everyone is supportive and genuinely nice, most of the time ;)

tinkerbelle said:
:confused: you mean the monster thingy? i thought it was kinda funny :p Or did something else happen?
the monster thing was very funny. then they took it down and started deleting every post and thread discussing it; they deleted my poll about guessing what the news was; then they deleted every post that made mention of them deleting posts or their April Fool's joke.

Frustrations? Read my signature... :eek:

carn311 said:
Frustrations? Read my signature... :eek:

haha lol... compared to bio lab i dont think chem lab isnt that bad but its quite a hassle... but man oh man... my bio1 lab was a separate grade from bio lecture (is that universal at all universities?) that in itself was the most grueling 3 hours of my life since i had it on tuesdays from 7-10pm

has anyone encountered a gunner experience?