Pre-MSTP: Volunteering/Shadow Hours Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Genore

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, all. I'm a junior currently and am trying to decide on which summer research program I should do this summer. Currently, I have acceptances at three programs, one of which is pre-MSTP specific. This program has built in physician/physician scientist shadowing, which sounds great to me particularly because I think I'm lacking in this area. However, my PI thinks that research-wise one of the other programs might be a better fit for my interests (it happens to be his alma mater, coincidentally). So, finally to the question:

How many hours of shadowing/medical volunteering do I need to be competitive for MSTPs?

This year, I was considering switching to a straight PhD program so, when scheduling conflicts arose with the hospital I had been volunteering at last semester, I never started back up with that and just spent that extra time doing research. Thus, I really only have about 50 hours of medical volunteering and about 25-30 hours of shadowing at the moment. Most of my friends are pre-med so I feel like amount is much lower than it should be. The MSTP summer program would definitely help make up the difference. I'm pretty sure I would be happy at any of the programs, but I just want to make the decision with full information.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't choose a research program just because it has shadowing integrated. The point of such a program is to do research, so go where the research is strongest/most in line with your interests. You can shadow/volunteer wherever/whenever you want, though I think 30 hours of shadowing is probably sufficient. If you feel you need more experience to understand what a physician does, then do more.

From Neuronix's sticky:

7) What about other extracurriculars?

The extent to which these matter depends in part on the school. For MD/PhD by far the most important EC is your research experience. You do want to have some amount of volunteering and/or shadowing to convince people you know something about the MD side as well. Different programs are different in this regard, but it's best to cover your bases by showing that you have some knowledge about what you're going into on the MD side.

You do not need an extensive EC list. Everyone knows that many EC lists are a lot of filler anyways. If you have an extensive EC list, in general it's not going to help you much for MD/PhD admissions (sorry!). It comes back to the research experience.​

Thanks for your advise. I wouldn't be choosing it JUST because of the integrated shadowing. All programs have strong research in my subject areas; my adviser, because of his experience at there, thinks I would be most challenged by the program at his alma mater. However, both places have PIs who do research in the areas I find interesting.

I have a fair amount of research already. I started working in a university research lab in high school as a lab assistant (high school "SURF") and then got my own project my senior year at another university in my hometown. I have been working on two research projects at my university for nearly three years now, and I conducted research at another SURF last summer. I'll be presenting at a number of conferences and should have a manuscript submitted before applications come around. I have a feeling that's enough. ;)

I talked to a couple of MSTP students at last summer's SURF, but I do feel like I would benefit from shadowing actual physician scientists.

For other pre-MSTPs, how many hours of shadowing do you guys have?

Members don't see this ad :)
I did 6 months or so of volunteer work in our TBICU....4 hours a week or something like that IIRC. Did zero shadowing. It's been 10 years, so my experience may be irrelevant for you young'uns. ;) I don't really see a huge benefit in shadowing MD/PhDs specifically; you've basically experienced what they do separately -- See patients in clinic/round on the floor and run their labs.

By any chance...does this pre-MSTP program happen to be in a state shaped like a mitten....?

:) Thanks for your input. That makes sense, though I would like advice on how to balance both lives successfully.

Haha. It's not...but one of the other programs I have an offer from is.