Pre Reading...MCAT before Post Bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oliverkahn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm a non-trad kind of in a strange situation. I am a 29 year old banker and will be attending a formal 1 year post bacc program starting in late spring of 2017. I took all of the pre-req classes (besides bio 2 and orgo 2) back in 2007 or so, and did pretty well (3.65 science GPA). I can't wait to get back into it. The post bacc program is 1 year and most people take the MCAT at the end of the year and then either link or do a glide year. I'm not sure which I would prefer at this point.

Anyway, in the next year or so I'd like to spend some time re-familiarizing myself with the pre-reqs. This serves a few purposes:

- Will help me refresh my memory to perform well in post-bacc program (which I understand will be pretty intense)
- Will ultimately help me prepare for the MCAT - the more prepared I am going into the pre-reqs courses, the more time I can spend prepping for MCAT during the year
- Will keep me motivated and excited while working in finance for yet another year

This may sound crazy, but if I am feeling confident after 12 months of this I may spend 3-4 months studying and attempt the MCAT before the postbacc. If I can eke out a score good enough to link then I will save myself a lot of stress and hassle during the school year. If I bomb it and have to re-take after the post bacc I have a pretty good excuse.

My question: for each of the pre-reqs, can any of you recommend a text book or guide book that serves as a solid content review? Given it's been 10 years, it would have to basically start from scratch. Here's what I've heard so far:

- Chem: Schaum's College Chemistry
- Bio: Campbell
- Orgo: Pushing Electrons and Klein's Orgo
- Physics: Nova physics? Anything else?
- Biochem: The Oregon State textbook and lectures online look awesome
- Psychology: apparently Yale has a free course online that's good?

Can any of you recommend any alternate resources? Ideally if it's possible to find a whole course online, including textbook, lectures, lecture notes, problem sets, etc? Doesn't MIT have some of this available? What would you all do in my situation? How about wikipremed?

Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.