Pre-Reqs and Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyeSeeEverything

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on submitting my applications sometime in August but there are still a few pre-reqs I haven't taken yet (microbio with lab, biostats). I'm taking microbio in this upcoming fall and biostats in the spring because that is the only semester it is offered at my school. Can I still apply before I take these classes as long as I complete the courses before I officially begin optometry school?

As for shadowing, I don't have any experience yet in optometry but I did shadow in a hospital for about 60 hours although none of it was optometry related. I begin shadowing my eye doctor later this week. Should I bring a small notepad to take notes with? Should I dress somewhat business casual? I also plan on shadowing an optician and an ophthalmologist. What other ways can I shadow optometrists in a different setting?

Members don't see this ad.

I plan on submitting my applications sometime in August but there are still a few pre-reqs I haven't taken yet (microbio with lab, biostats). I'm taking microbio in this upcoming fall and biostats in the spring because that is the only semester it is offered at my school. Can I still apply before I take these classes as long as I complete the courses before I officially begin optometry school?

As for shadowing, I don't have any experience yet in optometry but I did shadow in a hospital for about 60 hours although none of it was optometry related. I begin shadowing my eye doctor later this week. Should I bring a small notepad to take notes with? Should I dress somewhat business casual? I also plan on shadowing an optician and an ophthalmologist. What other ways can I shadow optometrists in a different setting?

I'm in the same position as you with the pre-reqs and as far as I know it's okay as long as you complete the requisites before you start optometry school. You can indicate that the pre-reqs you are taking are in progress and will be completed by the time you matriculate.

The whole point of shadowing is to get an understanding of what the profession is like. Admissions committees want to see that you have a good understanding of what you are going into and that you're not just applying blindly. It seems as if you had an interest in med school but decided to take another route - if this is the case, I would definitely mention your hospital shadowing on your application and talk about it in your interviews. Compare and contrast your hospital shadowing to your optometry shadowing - what things did/didn't you like about both and why does optometry seem like a better fit for you? This is what admissions personnel want to know, not that you spent 50 hours following around some doctor. I prefer to dress formal (suit and tie) when shadowing to give a good impression but business casual is fine too. No need to take any notes.