Pre-Req's & Work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Will be taking/re-taking a few courses and would like to hear some feedback on those that have worked alongside of taking courses and how it has affected entrance into MS (DO/MD).

I've heard mix-ed reasoning behind how schools evaluate if you can 'handle' MS and course load weighs heavier as an indicator vs. working and part-time coursework...

My sGPA needs some help as it is around a 3.4/5 currently. Would like some direction on whether to work and take part time courses (around 2 courses) or just put a full-time schedule?

Your thoughts are appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

How many hours a week would you be working while being a part-time student? 2 courses at a time doesn't seem like a lot unless you are working 40 hours a week. Then again, I had to work 30-40 hours a week with a FT schedule so I'm not a good judge of that. The only way that is possible is being really strict about social time and making studying a priority. Why did you do poorly in the classes before?

I did 2-3 courses at a time for seven semesters while working 40 hours a week. I'm not 100% sure I understand your question though actually.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did 2-3 courses at a time for seven semesters while working 40 hours a week. I'm not 100% sure I understand your question though actually.

I've heard some state that schools don't take into consideration whether your working volunteering, etc. on the side and they prefer to see that you can take a "full" load of courses as it shows you can handle MS. My question is how accurate is this statement and if you take a part-time load and work, will this count against you for applications.

I've heard some state that schools don't take into consideration whether your working volunteering, etc. on the side and they prefer to see that you can take a "full" load of courses as it shows you can handle MS. My question is how accurate is this statement and if you take a part-time load and work, will this count against you for applications.

Well, I got accepted by doing it.

I don't think anyone will be able to give you a definitive answer: for one thing, it's going to vary by school, and for another no school will make any sort of categorical statement to that effect. Just do what you need to do.

How many hours a week would you be working while being a part-time student? 2 courses at a time doesn't seem like a lot unless you are working 40 hours a week. Then again, I had to work 30-40 hours a week with a FT schedule so I'm not a good judge of that. The only way that is possible is being really strict about social time and making studying a priority. Why did you do poorly in the classes before?

Will be working 35-55 hours/wk. Struggled in 2 of my science courses b/c of my father's cancer/passing. Was not mentally there...