Pre-Residency Ortho Research Fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Opout

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a medical student in Pakistan, currently in my 4th year (out of 5 years). I'm planning to take my Step 1 at the end of the year, but I know that regardless of my score, I'll most likely have to do research in the US for a year or two before I can think about matching. My question is, are there any pre-residency research fellowships for orthopedics in the US that are open to IMGs? I'm not picky geographically; I just haven't seen any positions available in orthopedics like I have in other specialties, specifically ophthalmology.

If anyone can give me any insight/guidance, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Though you may already know this, you're facing an immense uphill battle if you want to land a US categorical ortho residency. Very, very few programs have foreign medical graduates in them, and when that DOES happen, it's typically someone who is already an attending in thier home country but is willing to re-train in the US system.

That said, there are a few programs that seem receptive to outstanding foreign graduates. Off the top of my head, I've seen them at Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, Wright State, and Wake Forest. Wake Forest has a research track that has attracted a number of FMGs in the past, so that may be your best bet. But seriously, the competition for you guys is so tough that it's unfair. I saw fellowship-trained orthopaedic traumatologists from foreign countries on the trail this year applying for 5 year US residencies...

Harvard usually takes an IMG that did research there

Members don't see this ad :)
Though you may already know this, you're facing an immense uphill battle if you want to land a US categorical ortho residency. Very, very few programs have foreign medical graduates in them, and when that DOES happen, it's typically someone who is already an attending in thier home country but is willing to re-train in the US system.

That said, there are a few programs that seem receptive to outstanding foreign graduates. Off the top of my head, I've seen them at Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, Wright State, and Wake Forest. Wake Forest has a research track that has attracted a number of FMGs in the past, so that may be your best bet. But seriously, the competition for you guys is so tough that it's unfair. I saw fellowship-trained orthopaedic traumatologists from foreign countries on the trail this year applying for 5 year US residencies...

Thanks so much for your reply KinasePro. I honestly did not know about the research track at Wake; that sounds like a wonderful opportunity! I do appreciate the difficulty of my position, but I can totally understand why programs tend to stick with AMGs. Why take a chance on the foreign guy when there's so much less risk involved with the best and brightest AMGs?

I've seen both sides of the argument of IMG attendings having a leg up. Some people say it's advantageous to have so many years of training in a foreign country. Others say it's too much of a hassle for programs to teach the American system and protocols to someone who is so "set in their ways", and also may not have as many years left to practice. It's a fine line I suppose, and probably varies with specialty. Regardless, I think more will be clear once I have my Step 1 score and I have secured some USCEs.

Harvard usually takes an IMG that did research there

I will look into Harvard research as well. I'm currently trying to secure an elective there, so hopefully that will give me better insight! Thanks massmocha.

Reactions: 1 user
UIC has some sort of research program. And they are known for taking FMGs.

Good luck !

UIC has some sort of research program. And they are known for taking FMGs.

Good luck !

You guys are all so awesome! Thanks so much OrthopodBella, I really appreciate it!

SUNY Downstate has multiple IMG's in their program. It's not Harvard or Mayo but I'm sure they provide great training.

SUNY Downstate has multiple IMG's in their program. It's not Harvard or Mayo but I'm sure they provide great training.
Hah which of us IMGs can afford to limit ourselves to world renowned programs? A residency anywhere would be enough, let alone a university program. I wasn't aware of SUNY Downstate having multiple IMGs, thank you for that info.