Pre-study or remain extremely bored

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharpstickie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be starting med school at the end of July. I've been on break since mid-April and I am running out of things to do. I know that pre-studying in general is a bad idea, but I've understood the reason is because what you pre-study may not necessarily be what you need to learn.
However, I got my hands on the first year PowerPoint lectures from a student that just finished their first year at the same school. Would it really be a complete waste of time to go through those powerpoints?

Additional note: I know people will say "just enjoy your life until school starts". I think the last month and a half has been just fine. I've started a garden, learned how to fix my dryer, gone camping/hiking and logged way too many hours on rocket league and I think I've done enough relaxing. Also, my wife has the car all day at work so I can't just go drive out and do something.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Pre-studying is a bad idea because the last thing you want to do is start off med school sick & tired of studying. You want to be refreshed because that feeling doesn't last very long once you are in school lol. I don't think there is anything wrong with looking through a lecture here & there if you really want to, but don't overdo it. Most students don't pre-study and they do just fine.

When I was super bored during breaks I read books written by medical students or doctors about their experiences. It was still relaxing but also got me excited to get back to studying. Maybe give that a try.

Reactions: 3 users
Pre-studying is a bad idea because the last thing you want to do is start off med school sick & tired of studying. You want to be refreshed because that feeling doesn't last very long once you are in school lol.

This. At least in your case, you wouldn't be wasting your time, but at this point, being relaxed and refreshed will help you far more than any studying you might do.

If you feel like reading something tangentially medical, try House of God (the classic choice), Cutting for Stone (on my personal top ten favorite books list), Short White Coat, and Intern: A Doctor's Initiation come to mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
This. At least in your case, you wouldn't be wasting your time, but at this point, being relaxed and refreshed will help you far more than any studying you might do.

If you feel like reading something tangentially medical, try House of God (the classic choice), Cutting for Stone (on my personal top ten favorite books list), Short White Coat, and Intern: A Doctor's Initiation come to mind.

I'll put in a plug for intern, I really liked it. Read it during 1st year.

And in my experience, it's got some truths that medical students should know about going in.

If you want to read and feel like your studying I also recommend overidagnosed: making people sick in the pursuit of health.

Thanks for the input everyone. Once I finish up my Dan Brown books I'll have to get on Amazon. Until then, I guess I'll keep learning effective patient care techniques from Dr. House :eek:

I'll break with the SDN conventional wisdom that gets rehashed endlessly and say that I don't think prestudying is bad at all. If you're bored and you have the slides around, reading through them won't hurt and may indeed help (slightly).

Thanks for the input everyone. Once I finish up my Dan Brown books I'll have to get on Amazon. Until then, I guess I'll keep learning effective patient care techniques from Dr. House :eek:

Nah forget that dude! It would be more beneficial to learn how a real hospital is run by watching Greys Anatomy. That way you'll know exactly what the on call room is for when you start your intern year. :banana:

Meh not a fan of Grey's. I'd take Code Black or Chicago Med over that show any day of the week.

Reactions: 1 users
+1 for rocket league. I just graduated. So as a fourth year I have achieved master rank. More time than I know what to do with honestly. I still can't do those upside down aerials very well.

Congrats on starting your med school career. Honestly I don't know that I would do it again, but I am glad I did it. I'll start a career where I feel like I'm making a difference in the lives of others next month, and it's very satisfying seeing 'M.D.' next to my name. Years 1 and 2 are a lot of studying. Starting now would be minimally beneficial, but there are definitely worse ways you could spend your time. Do whatever you feel like doing, but it's 100% not necessary to start now.

Another vote for Intern. Jauhar also wrote another book called Doctored that I am planning to read over the summer. I also liked Healing Hearts: A Memoir of a Female Heart Surgeon, any of Atul Gawande's books (Complications & Better), and On Call: A Doctor's Days & Nights in Residency. There is also a pretty new book called When Breath Becomes Air written by a neurosurgeon that ends up being diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer in his 30s and dying while writing the book. I haven't read it yet but I've heard it is amazing.

I'll be starting med school at the end of July. I've been on break since mid-April and I am running out of things to do. I know that pre-studying in general is a bad idea, but I've understood the reason is because what you pre-study may not necessarily be what you need to learn.
However, I got my hands on the first year PowerPoint lectures from a student that just finished their first year at the same school. Would it really be a complete waste of time to go through those powerpoints?

Additional note: I know people will say "just enjoy your life until school starts". I think the last month and a half has been just fine. I've started a garden, learned how to fix my dryer, gone camping/hiking and logged way too many hours on rocket league and I think I've done enough relaxing. Also, my wife has the car all day at work so I can't just go drive out and do something.
The reason going through class-issued powerpoint slides is a waste of time is because class-issued powerpoint slides are probably terrible and not worth learning from. There is a reason things like BRS physiology and Pathoma exist, and it is not because the home-grown lecture material at US medical schools is good.

+1 For the book When Breath Becomes Air. It had me in tears half the time, but it was so wonderfully written. The author had a degree in writing prior to applying to medical school. It is beautiful.

Members don't see this ad :)
This even if it's temporary

I agree with getting a temporary job. I'm working as much as I can now so I wouldn't have to take out much loans.

The hardest parts are finding a job that pays well and where you're happy at.

Finding a temporary job is rough. It's also hard to find a temp job that will pay enough for it to be worthwhile.
I have a job and I'm still bored out of my mind 87% of the day and would gladly "pre-study" or at least look over what I am getting myself into.

Finding a temporary job is rough. It's also hard to find a temp job that will pay enough for it to be worthwhile.
I have a job and I'm still bored out of my mind 87% of the day and would gladly "pre-study" or at least look over what I am getting myself into.
yeah especially since my wife has a job that easily supports us comfortably.

Don't get a job. That's messed up to get a job and have them put time into training you if you're gonna leave within a month or two.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Duolingo? Learn some Spanish. Teach yourself how to play guitar (youtube vids) - chicks love a guy who can play a guitar. Work out - buy a squat rack, barbell, and some weights, make a home gym, and start now so that it's part of your routine when you start school. Cooking - since your wife works and you'll be busy once school starts, start experimenting with easy to make recipes now (check out fitmencook). Also, since you have a lot of time on your hands, do some house maintenance - change those air filters, clean those gutters, seal those window cracks, spray that external pesticide, clean out the garage/attic/spare room/closet. Wash/wax the car. Organize your finances.

Rewatch Breaking Bad. Rewatch The Wire.

Don't get a job, though. Unless it pays REALLY well, it's probably not worth it.

To each their own. Funny thing about money is that you always need it. If anyone has a solid argument against getting a couple grand in cash before they start a journey where they'll flip their financial life head over heels into temporary poverty I'd sure love to hear it.

To each their own. Funny thing about money is that you always need it. If anyone has a solid argument against getting a couple grand in cash before they start a journey where they'll flip their financial life head over heels into temporary poverty I'd sure love to hear it.

Having a kid and spending over half of your monthly check at your temporary position on daycare for said job so that you can work 50 hours a week and lose out on time that you could spend with your child. Then you end up spending money on eating out to maximize time with said child since your work schedule is erratic and you don't get home until an hour before bedtime.

But for those of you with no life outside of school and no family, by all means, get a job and make some money. Med school is expensive.

(My bitterness is showing even though I love my job and only have a few weeks left)

Having a kid and spending over half of your monthly check at your temporary position on daycare for said job so that you can work 50 hours a week and lose out on time that you could spend with your child. Then you end up spending money on eating out to maximize time with said child since your work schedule is erratic and you don't get home until an hour before bedtime.

But for those of you with no life outside of school and no family, by all means, get a job and make some money. Med school is expensive.

(My bitterness is showing even though I love my job and only have a few weeks left)
I take it would not classify yourself as "bored", haha

Last edited:

If it was the entire summer it would be one thing, but like I said, getting a job for a month is messed up towards the company that hired you.

Also, most med students are 250k+ in debt...that extra 1k isnt gonna really do much.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 5 users
If it was the entire summer it would be one thing, but like I said, getting a job for a month is messed up towards the company that hired you.

Also, most med students are 250k+ in debt...that extra 1k isnt gonna really do much.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
Who cares it is messed up to them? They are paying you and trying to profit from your labor.

Its messed up if you have to lie. Its fine if they dont care. Nipped in the bud

Also you don't have to get a job somewhere, you can make your own money. Tutor some students (helps keep you "studying" the basic sciences and getting paid for it), or start an online store selling little things. Become an uber driver or whatever. You don't need to rely on working 9-5 for a company to make some cash.

Oh and one other thing, it is fantastic that your wife can support you guys comfortably, but there is some satisfaction that comes from contributing to the coffers, even if it is in a small amount. Your wife will appreciate it, especially since you won't be helping much soon.

You're saying that like it's a bad thing. I don't know. I just feel like it's common courtesy since they are gonna put time into training you and whatever.
I'm saying you are money to them. They should be money to you. No reason to feel a special bond and that you owe them anything.

Its messed up if you have to lie. Its fine if they dont care. Nipped in the bud

Nevermind, I decided I'd like to see you two go back and forth about the ethics of finding 1-month employment in the 'Pre-study or remain extremely bored' thread of the Osteopathic subforum of the student doctor forums of the internet of mankind of the planet Earth of the solar system of the milky way galaxy of the virgo supercluster for a while

Reactions: 5 users
Are you considering buying/leasing a car for school? That's a very time-consuming endeavor and can keep your mind off of those super interesting PPTs.

And pre-studying aside, don't expose yourself to any PPTs until you absolutely have to. Idk about others, but I've grown to hate them lol
I feel like even casual conversation with our faculty would be put in PPT slides if they could

Are you considering buying/leasing a car for school? That's a very time-consuming endeavor and can keep your mind off of those super interesting PPTs.

And pre-studying aside, don't expose yourself to any PPTs until you absolutely have to. Idk about others, but I've grown to hate them lol
I feel like even casual conversation with our faculty would be put in PPT slides if they could
Thanks but but my wife and I actually bought a car when we got married a couple years back.

I've started helping out more with my local Cub Scout troop and that has been a really good way to spend my time.

Thanks but but my wife and I actually bought a car when we got married a couple years back.

I've started helping out more with my local Cub Scout troop and that has been a really good way to spend my time.

You mentioned in the OP that you couldn't go anywhere because your wife was at work. What's your plan for when school starts? Just curious, I don't doubt you've thought this through.

You mentioned in the OP that you couldn't go anywhere because your wife was at work. What's your plan for when school starts? Just curious, I don't doubt you've thought this through.
No problem. We live 5 minutes a from the school so I am planning on just riding my bike. If that doesn't work, she passes the school on the way to work anyways :cool:

No problem. We live 5 minutes a from the school so I am planning on just riding my bike. If that doesn't work, she passes the school on the way to work anyways :cool:

Dude amazing set up

Is taking notes on laptop really essential? I know college is not the same as medical school, but I've never taken any of my notes on computer, especially if they involved slides. If anything, I'd either write it in my notebook, or print out the slides and write my notes on them instead, especially if they have diagrams that you'd need to draw out.

Is taking notes on laptop really essential? I know college is not the same as medical school, but I've never taken any of my notes on computer, especially if they involved slides. If anything, I'd either write it in my notebook, or print out the slides and write my notes on them instead, especially if they have diagrams that you'd need to draw out.

I wouldn't say essential, I'm sure there are those who still write notes or the like. I never typed notes for classes before medical school either, but I forced myself to because I was spending uncomfortable amounts of time going through the days material. I still write stuff down but it's far from a comprehensive notebook, I could basically toss the paper I used afterwards. You've probably heard it a million times but you just adapt, I wouldn't let it bother you right now.

I wouldn't say essential, I'm sure there are those who still write notes or the like. I never typed notes for classes before medical school either, but I forced myself to because I was spending uncomfortable amounts of time going through the days material. I still write stuff down but it's far from a comprehensive notebook, I could basically toss the paper I used afterwards. You've probably heard it a million times but you just adapt, I wouldn't let it bother you right now.

Agreed. I'm in a PBL program but I take notes while reading or in our few lecture classes on the computer-- I was a pen-and-paper girl way back in undergrad too, but it's not fast enough, and the search function typed notes gets you makes it worth it. I do make hand-written notes in my final pass of studying before exams.

I'll be starting my second year in a couple weeks. And seriously. Do not pre study. Reason I say it is because it is Easy to burnout when things get super critical because you are worn out by the time finals roll around.

If you really want to do something, just figure out how you learn and keep a journal of your techniques. Then in medical school keep a journal of how you study. Because sometimes you will annihilate an exam and other times the exam will annihilate you. Hence, it's a good idea to keep track of how you study and what works and what doesn't.

I wish I did the above.

Reactions: 2 users
I'll be starting my second year in a couple weeks. And seriously. Do not pre study. Reason I say it is because it is Easy to burnout when things get super critical because you are worn out by the time finals roll around.

If you really want to do something, just figure out how you learn and keep a journal of your techniques. Then in medical school keep a journal of how you study. Because sometimes you will annihilate an exam and other times the exam will annihilate you. Hence, it's a good idea to keep track of how you study and what works and what doesn't.

I wish I did the above.

Would you mind sharing what worked for you?
Some people say say it's best to condense, re-write ppts into study guides, and do everything by yourself while others say to just print out slides, annotate, and not to waste time with condensing.

Would you mind sharing what worked for you?
Some people say say it's best to condense, re-write ppts into study guides, and do everything by yourself while others say to just print out slides, annotate, and not to waste time with condensing.

Well, I havent' started med school yet, but I think it's best to print out slides, and then add whatever extra info and any extra detail the professor says in class that's not on the slides. And then come exam time just study everything you got. I don't see why this method wouldn't work.

Well, I havent' started med school yet, but I think it's best to print out slides, and then add whatever extra info and any extra detail the professor says in class that's not on the slides. And then come exam time just study everything you got. I don't see why this method wouldn't work.
Some of my upperclassmen friends have told me that this is impractical because you'll be receiving between 100-150 slides of info per day and going through thousands of slides before a midterm is insane.

Reactions: 2 users

I got similar advice to Ioannes above from my friends in medical school, as well as from the SDN med students on here. You will be condensing your notes rather than adding to them, since it is a lot to remember. From what I have learned, it is like a game of figuring out what is high yield and what is low yield, and then focusing your energy on the high yield stuff. Then again I am speculating.

You will have the big picture people who need to have a skeleton first before wanting to know the details, then the detail oriented people who learn the details and then try to figure out how it connects together. You will figure out what type of learner you are when you start. When I did my masters, I learned I was more of the former.

This is what I did and will continue to do. I invested in a surface pro. I watched the video lectures and didn't go to class. I printed the ppts into 2 up and focused on a slide at a time while watching the lectures.

After lecture I'd go home and read the power points and extract high yield info. How do you do that? You ask, in this goop of info, what would be most important that a teacher would like to ask me. I start off with a base coat so to speak the first time. Then on the weekend I review it again with my second pass doing the same thing but adding a layer.

Finally I do my last pass and do the same thing about a week before the exams.

Then I type my notes and organize them based on category. The notes I type must be such that I never look at the ppts again.

Finally the couple nights before the exam I review my typed notes and annotate them. And I also type a new sheet called "things I know I forget", for each set of notes (by subject)

I read my things I forget sheet the night before and the morning of my exam. This has worked well enough for me to keep me in honors

Btw I'm a non trad student with a family and still have time for my family as well.

This is what I did and will continue to do. I invested in a surface pro. I watched the video lectures and didn't go to class. I printed the ppts into 2 up and focused on a slide at a time while watching the lectures.

After lecture I'd go home and read the power points and extract high yield info. How do you do that? You ask, in this goop of info, what would be most important that a teacher would like to ask me. I start off with a base coat so to speak the first time. Then on the weekend I review it again with my second pass doing the same thing but adding a layer.

Finally I do my last pass and do the same thing about a week before the exams.

Then I type my notes and organize them based on category. The notes I type must be such that I never look at the ppts again.

Finally the couple nights before the exam I review my typed notes and annotate them. And I also type a new sheet called "things I know I forget", for each set of notes (by subject)

I read my things I forget sheet the night before and the morning of my exam. This has worked well enough for me to keep me in honors

Btw I'm a non trad student with a family and still have time for my family as well.

Is there a way to print the ppts into 2 up without having a surface pro? Also, what do you mean by base coat as well as adding a layer?