Preclinical classes and specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Last Ankibender

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, just wanted to open a discussion. I am currently interested in rads but I have being hating anatomy class especially neuro. Hate neuro so much

I know rads is a lot of anatomy so maybe it is not the right fit. I wanted to ask about what specialties used more physiology? Because I have enjoy class a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Hi, just wanted to open a discussion. I am currently interested in rads but I have being hating anatomy class especially neuro. Hate neuro so much

I know rads is a lot of anatomy so maybe it is not the right fit. I wanted to ask about what specialties used more physiology? Because I have enjoy class a lot.
You better love anatomy if you want to do Rads Anesthesia is more physiology, pharmacology, critical care, etc. People I know who go into Rads really like anatomy. Lots of neuro, brains, spines in Rads. Its early, you might have a change of heart as you move into clinicals. Good luck and best wishes!

Anesthesiology
Internal Medicine
Surgery Specialties
Critical Care Medicine
Nuclear medicine (imaging)

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you hate the subject matter or the way it's taught/learned? If it's the subject matter, you're gonna hate rads if you hate anatomy. But if it's about the teaching style, you may have surprises in what you like come clinical rotations.

so far as 3rd year, IM (+ its subspecialties) has used the most physiology by far. Haven't done anesthesia yet but I'd imagine that would be good for someone who likes physio + pharm

If there's a specific organ system that has the most interesting physiology to you, look into the relevant specialty for that organ. For example, If you really love the physiology of pregnancy/reproduction, then maybe ob/gyn is right for you, even though it may not use all the same aspects of physiology as IM, etc.

It might not be a good fit. But it’s hard to base it off of your anatomy class. Anatomy is super variable by school. My school prides itself on making anatomy insane and over the top. So it was very painful.

Imaging is so much better. You need to know anatomy, but it’s for the purposes of solving clinical problems. Furthermore, trying to learn it involves looking at imaging instead of whatever random crap an anatomist finds on a google search and then spending hours in a cadaver lab trying find it only to realize your partner destroyed it 30 minutes ago. Preclinical anatomy was more so about trying to memorize the phone book.

Reactions: 3 users

I wouldn’t rule out anything based on your affinity for the preclinical subject. I disliked anatomy in my first year, but seeing things in the OR was more interesting. There were only so many pieces of anatomy to know unlike learning from an anatomist’s perspective so if you weren't good at storing a million factoids in your head and that's why you didn't like anatomy that's out the window and instead things like how you reason whether or not a patient needs surgery or not is more important. Now, if you noticed you had a general difficulty with spatial reasoning, that may be something to consider when choosing a field because surgery obviously requires aptitude in that. I imagine the some concepts apply to Radiology as well.

Also for the future, you don’t have to hit 4th year to get Rads experience either. Even now you can find several webpages dedicated to XRays/CT interpretation. Whenever you see an radiological image in class, try looking at it while incorporating the clinical picture. In third year on any of your rotations volunteer to go to the Radiology reading room and pick the Radiologist’s brains.

Last edited:
Maybe is the class, I really enjoy MSK anatomy and how movement where affected by the lesions. Also enjoyed Identifying structure in the lab until gastro. But since reproductive system and Neuro I have develop such a hatred. So many rote memorization of small arteries and structures so many details. Maybe I am just tired because of the time of the year. Will wait for clinicals but will remain open to anything

Many people go on to be radiologists and surgeons who did not enjoy M1 anatomy. They generally aren't similar situations. Many people enjoy physiology but end up not pursing anesthesiology as well. Physiology is often enjoyed by med students simply because it is intuitive and fun.

I'm not saying you can't start to develop an opinion but definitely don't rule anything out based on your tedious gross anatomy class.

I found gross anatomy just another hoop to jump through in some regards and now love imaging. In talking to those further along, it's super common.

Reactions: 3 users
Maybe is the class, I really enjoy MSK anatomy and how movement where affected by the lesions. Also enjoyed Identifying structure in the lab until gastro. But since reproductive system and Neuro I have develop such a hatred. So many rote memorization of small arteries and structures so many details. Maybe I am just tired because of the time of the year. Will wait for clinicals but will remain open to anything

If you have affinity towards anything now, explore it further in your free time!

Reactions: 1 users