predental AND premed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iheartz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok honest question. Would it be bad to apply to med school and dental school at the same time? I really like both professions... should i just pick one and just apply to that?

Members don't see this ad.

Search the forums, many people have done just that. Personally, I think it's overkill because applying to one is enough if you just add some safety schools.

You would have to make sure that you do not apply to the same mediacal schools as dental schools, otherwise the school will see you are aplying to both and throw out your application. (After cashing your check of course)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you apply to medical school, and then at any time, whether it's the same year, or in subsequents years, apply to dental school, expect your biggest hurtle to be explaining to the adcoms exactly why you chose to switch to dentistry. They do not want the "med school rejects" coming over to dental school. I applied to med school first, then, while I was working for a doctor, realized what a mess the proffession was. I started looking into dentistry and found it to be an infinitely better match for my goals, skills, everything. So I actually withdrew my med school apps after secondaries, started studying for the DAT, and applied to dental school in the next cycle. So it even cost me a year, and still at my interviews for dental school last year, they were very upfront about letting me know that my having applied to med school and now switching to dental was by far my biggest challenge to overcome.

Also, in your AADSAS app, you will have to enter that you applied to med school, which years, and to what schools, so they will know.

You should spend more time gaining some exposure to both professions before you apply. They are really VERY different in every way. Personally, I don't see how you can just be willing to take whichever one gets offered to you first. Do a lot of shadowing and ask a lot of questions about what life is like outside of the office. I would think, regardless of which you choose, one will stand out as a better match for your skills and goals.

If you apply to medical school, and then at any time, whether it's the same year, or in subsequents years, apply to dental school, expect your biggest hurtle to be explaining to the adcoms exactly why you chose to switch to dentistry. They do not want the "med school rejects" coming over to dental school. I applied to med school first, then, while I was working for a doctor, realized what a mess the proffession was. I started looking into dentistry and found it to be an infinitely better match for my goals, skills, everything. So I actually withdrew my med school apps after secondaries, started studying for the DAT, and applied to dental school in the next cycle. So it even cost me a year, and still at my interviews for dental school last year, they were very upfront about letting me know that my having applied to med school and now switching to dental was by far my biggest challenge to overcome.

Also, in your AADSAS app, you will have to enter that you applied to med school, which years, and to what schools, so they will know.

You should spend more time gaining some exposure to both professions before you apply. They are really VERY different in every way. Personally, I don't see how you can just be willing to take whichever one gets offered to you first. Do a lot of shadowing and ask a lot of questions about what life is like outside of the office. I would think, regardless of which you choose, one will stand out as a better match for your skills and goals.

Great advice.

Sooner or later you will need to decided with which you want to spend the rest of your life.

There are dental safety schools? No condescending tone here. I'm really asking.

Nope. not unless you're parents are filthy rich and were able to get a new wing added to the school you wanted to go to.

admissions is more competitive then ever. with there only being ~4500 seats, and ~12000+ applicants, you are lucky if you get in.

are there any predents who were once premed who could shed more light

are there any predents who were once premed who could shed more light

There are tons of them in my class. I was pre-med in high school, so that doesn't really count. I think it was more of an excuse for me to hang out with the crazy asians who studied all the time.

Dentistry and medicine are very different and your daily life in both professions would likely be very different as well.

That is how you should decide.

Any influence from your parents? I knew a classmate in college had 2 sibling at TOP med schools, both parents are Real Doctors as far as they are concerned, and my classmate went dental. If you come from that and still chose dentistry, you're committed for sure!! Poor guy had to deal with a lot of crap at first but they'll be jealous i bet!

There are dental safety schools? No condescending tone here. I'm really asking.

There are no "safety schools" per say, but there are "match" schools and "reach" schools. A match school usually is your state public school (unless you are from California) and private schools with lower admissions stats and larger class sizes, and a reach school would be out-of-state public school and private schools with higher admissions stats.

What that person meant to say was apply to more matches, as there are plenty, rather than applying for a totally different profession..

Ive applied for med school this year and evrything but now that ive learned a lot more about the profession, I really want to do dentistry but i feel so lost... I graduate this may with a 3.8 overall and 3.65 sci gpa. idk i just thought id throw that out there. any pointers on where to get started? I know i gotta take the dats and register to apply. of course im gonna wait for the next cycle. :rolleyes:

Ive applied for med school this year and evrything but now that ive learned a lot more about the profession, I really want to do dentistry but i feel so lost... I graduate this may with a 3.8 overall and 3.65 sci gpa. idk i just thought id throw that out there. any pointers on where to get started? I know i gotta take the dats and register to apply. of course im gonna wait for the next cycle. :rolleyes:

If you have the GPA you say you do, you should be able to get into med or dent. The true question is... if you get into medical school this year, would you be willing to say "no, thanks" and apply for dental school in May/June of 2009? Given your situation and that up until a couple of months ago, without much of any exposure to the dental field, you wanted to do medicine... I would place my bet that it is unlikely you would ditch med acceptance for a chance at being accepted into dent the following year... unless you were rejected from the med schools you applied to. Is that true?

If you have the GPA you say you do, you should be able to get into med or dent. The true question is... if you get into medical school this year, would you be willing to say "no, thanks" and apply for dental school in May/June of 2009? Given your situation and that up until a couple of months ago, without much of any exposure to the dental field, you wanted to do medicine... I would place my bet that it is unlikely you would ditch med acceptance for a chance at being accepted into dent the following year... unless you were rejected from the med schools you applied to. Is that true?

I dont think i would reapply for med if i got declined from my target schools but if i got accepted, i would PROBABLY go.

Just think hard and go for what you really want. There are many of med rejects in my school and most of them are not too happy with what they are studying right now.

Just think hard and go for what you really want. There are many of med rejects in my school and most of them are not too happy with what they are studying right now.

I don't know of many med school rejects in my class, but for the life of me I can't understand the philosophy of "I don't care what I do for my future, I'd be happy with either... so whatever I get into, fine."

I bet that that person would be much happier in medicine than dentistry. I feel you really have to like dentistry to go into it. Going into it myself, I wasn't absolutely sure but I guess I lucked out because my enjoyment of the field is increasing all the time.

There are many of med rejects in my school and most of them are not too happy with what they are studying right now.

This is why the profession has such a high suicide rate. :scared:

i really dont understand why dentists have such a high suicide rate... is this backed up by statistical evidnce? it seems like there are other professions that would have a higher suicide rate... :rolleyes:

if you get into both schools, will you attend med and dental school at the same time?

i dont understand what will change in the future. pick a profession now

i really dont understand why dentists have such a high suicide rate... is this backed up by statistical evidnce? it seems like there are other professions that would have a higher suicide rate... :rolleyes:

LOL... While this isn't a serious post, I have an idea on the subject. And no, I don't think it is true that dentists are #1 in suicide. While the study wasn't found to be viable and conducted in the 70s, here is my take. It is fairly difficult to kill yourself unless you really know what you are doing or are brave/stupid enough to shoot yourself in the head/chest. Dentists on the other hand have the knowledge and the access to the drugs they need to carry it out. Same goes for all professions where you are under stress, have access to drugs and know which ones to use to depress your respiratory system enough and get around the brain stem vomit reaction to too much of a drug in your system. I'll bet the rate for MDs is fairly high as well but still small overall.

PS You should have applied to Case's DDS/MD program...it is only 1 extra year prior to your residency.