predents.com questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdmOMR

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well Ive heard many times that stats on SDN and predents.com are over inflated and only represent a very tiny portion of the applicants. I was wondering just how inflated do you guys and gals think these stats are? Is it way-off or just a couple tenths/points off for GPA/DAT, or is it pretty accurate? I have a hard time gauging because the stats given by the schools from years past are assumably lower than this year so I cant tell which way is up.

Also what do you think about NYU going from a saftey school to nearly just as competetive as all the other schools within a cycle or two? Is it a rising stats factor or just the school making a change?

Also, to certain people on this board, I know its funny to put your GPA is 89 with 29's across the board, and you can do what you want, but kind of takes away the ability to see the averages of people getting in for those who havent recieved any news on their acceptance yet or for those who are applying in future cycles. I liked it better when your GPA was a 1.x and you had 10's across the board...made my chances look better :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

You have to realize that most of the people here are overachievers. I would consider myself a wannabe, being that I'm working my butt off through grad school to show schools I'm a serious student, while some of these kids breeze through undergrad without having to bat an eye. It's difficult to realize, but this group of over-achieving nerds (myself included) is a small piece of the pie. My stats are by no means spectactular, but I'd like to think I'm competitive.

I know of two people who went to Purdue and took several of the same classes as me. One got a 17 in her sciences and was accepted at Case, and waitlisted at Louisville. Given she has a 3.8gpa, but still......18/17/??. Also I know of someone else who had a 14 in orgo and was told if he retakes it and gets at least a 15, he's assured an interview at his school "x."

Remember, predent.com may actually be pretty accurate as of right now. Like picking teams for baseball. You want the big, strong, fast kids first. Then as the pickings slim down you go for the second and third tier kids. Same for dschool. When people chose their schools, slots will open up. It's almost an exponential effect given that the average person I think applies to 8 schools.

Take home lesson, don't let these huge numbers on this forum or predents discourage, nor frustrate you. Where there is a will, there is a way.

P.S. Cars rule

You have to realize that most of the people here are overachievers. I would consider myself a wannabe, being that I'm working my butt off through grad school to show schools I'm a serious student, while some of these kids breeze through undergrad without having to bat an eye. It's difficult to realize, but this group of over-achieving nerds (myself included) is a small piece of the pie. My stats are by no means spectactular, but I'd like to think I'm competitive.

I know of two people who went to Purdue and took several of the same classes as me. One got a 17 in her sciences and was accepted at Case, and waitlisted at Louisville. Given she has a 3.8gpa, but still......18/17/??. Also I know of someone else who had a 14 in orgo and was told if he retakes it and gets at least a 15, he's assured an interview at his school "x."

Remember, predent.com may actually be pretty accurate as of right now. Like picking teams for baseball. You want the big, strong, fast kids first. Then as the pickings slim down you go for the second and third tier kids. Same for dschool. When people chose their schools, slots will open up. It's almost an exponential effect given that the average person I think applies to 8 schools.

Take home lesson, don't let these huge numbers on this forum or predents discourage, nor frustrate you. Where there is a will, there is a way.

P.S. Cars rule

Ya I can see what your saying is true...that as we get closer to next school year the statistics will go down slightly after all the heavy hitters have picked their schools and the schools begin to fill the rest of the class with the less statistically endowed. The big numbers can be scary (and definatly were when I first started looking at them), but I try to not let it get to me and rather use it as inspiration to become an overachiever (which has worked thus far this year). Thanks for the reply.

And P.S. Cars do rule!

P.S. Cars rule

Wow, you really gave a kickass response on this thread. Be sure to reply to all of my post!!!:thumbup: :thumbup: