Prelim and categorical IM in the same program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

skyblue2000

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I am an IMG needing a visa (223, 228, Cs pass, all 1st attempt), and I was wondering if there would be any point to applying for prelim IM IN THE SAME PROGRAMS as where I applied for categorical spots.

My thinking is if I can't secure a categorical spot, and I do get prelim, at least next year I could apply for any vacant PGY2 spots...
That being said, since I already applied to basically all the programs I qualify for (give visa and meet USMLE score cut offs), the prelim spots would be at the same program as the categorical spots. I don't want to inadvertently make my categorical application less appealing.
Also, when you apply for prelim, it asks you what your interest is as PGY2... I would write Internal medicine? Which also seems strange..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you