prelim medicine -how hard to scramble into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
SO I really want to get a prelim IM spot, and I wanted to know is it really tough to get a spot in the scramble process? I am also a DO, and there traditional rotating internships, but I personally prefer a medicine spot. Does the AOA have prelim IM spots? I'm under the impression they do not.

Members don't see this ad.

not hard depending on your stats. I have step 1 240+/- 5, Step 2 235+/- 5 and passing Step 2 CS first try. It wasn't the most fun I've ever had tho. stressful is an understatement actually.

I'm a recently graduated med student who matched to advanced neuro but I'm still looking for a prelim. I've contacted numerous programs but spots don't seem to be opening up. Any ideas about the timeline of scrambling into a spot?
Thanks,
Adam

Sent via the SDN Mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
I matched with COMLEX scores only. I actually think it is getting tougher. My prelim year has 4 months of wards and 3 ICU months at a small community program. The categorical residents are almost all IMG's and FMG's. All the prelims this year are american grads (8 MD 3 DO). 2 going into derm (1 at mayo clinic), 2 rads, 1 ophtho, 2 PM&R, 2 anesthesia (in NYC and cali).... cant remember the rest. So to me it seems getting a prelim med spot is harder than an advanced in some cases given the gap in "desireable grads" between prelim and categorical. Not really an easy year by any means, and it still seems to be filled primarily with high very quality prelims, in fact I 'm surprised they took me. All in all, it is more of a regional thing. All of my prelim and TY year interviews were fairly close to my school, except one. Good luck.

If I had known about the AOA/ACGME merger when applying last year I may have just done a DO traditional year. Worst case those tend to be available as a backup.

good luck! let us know if you find a program. i hope you do! have you contacted your home institution or your neuro one to see if they have anything?