Prelim/transitional Interviews in Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Su Little

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to see other peoples experiences of applying for preliminary/transitional year positions in any of the Chicago programs.

So far I've applied to about 20 programs with only 1 interview so far

12/7 - Michael Reese

Anyone else in similar position please post replies.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I applied as well. Did not apply to Michael Reese though.

ONly heard back from St Francis - Rejection

I applied to a bunch of the chicago transitional programs, and I have only heard back from one...Swedish Covenant (interview 11/13).

i've applied to the chicago programs as well..heard from:
west suburban
swedish covenant
michael reese (prelim)
macneal
rush (prelim)
uic (prelim)

thanks for the replies!

Could you also add stats like Step scores/intended specialty/FMG or AMG?

For me: Step 1/2 - 94/96, neurology, FMG

Step 1/2 = 94/92, radiology, american IMG

Of the Chicago prelim/transitional programs I've applied to, I've gotten

Invitations from:
Advocate Illinois Masonic
Northwestern NMH/VA
Northwestern ENH
St. Francis
MacNeal
University of Chicago

Waitlisted
St. Joseph
Resurrection

Have not yet heard from:
Weiss Memorial
Swedish Covenant/Finch

I've received prelim/transitional invitations from:

UIC
Rush
Lutheran General (IM)
St. Francis (IM)
Cook County (IM) - cancelled
MacNeal (TY)
West Suburban (TY)
St. Joseph Hospital (TY)

-Step 1 243 (98), haven't taken Step 2 yet, applying to Radiology, us med student

Out of curiosity, for all those that have recieved more than 2 interviews...how early were your applications sent?

How many transitional/preliminary interviews are people planning to go on?

3 interviews: Rush; Cook County; Michael Reese

1 on waiting list: West Suburban

2 on hold: St Francis and Resurrection Westlake

Anyone who has already been on any Prelim/transitional interviews in Chicago, please post your experiences.

Interviews so far...

Prelim:
St Francis
Lutheran

TY:
MacNeal
Resurrection
West Suburban

I've applied to all TY programs in chicago. Hoping to get more interviews than what i have now. I think i'd be comfortable with 7 or 8 interviews in total for matching purposes. St. Joseph's just waitlisted me for some reason while offering interviews to some classmates of mine. This is getting ridiculously competitive. Oh well.

Just a warning about MacNeal - its not the program that it used to be. I'm a resident at MacNeal and we were told one thing and found that everything changed mysteriously between interview and first day. The main thing is that we were told there were 2 ICU months and a research month, but somehow that became 3 ICU months when the family medicine service dropped a month. This is not the only thing that they have changed/screwed us over with. The administration is not supportive and know that they can make us bend over and take it because we're not there next year and they dont' have to keep us happy. Beware of programs like this. Having a residency director who is supportive and on your side makes a huge difference to your experience.

Got my first rejection today:( , Loyola, apparently they received over 2000 applications! :eek: This is crazy, as I just spoke to my neurology program secretary at Hopkins and she said she's received about 250 applications.

any opinions on lutheran general, rush, NU prelim (chicago campus)? thanks a ton for your input!!

Lutheran General will have 3 less prelim spots next year compared to previous years. Also the call schedule will be Q6 instead of Q5 in previous years.

hi everyone - hope you are all hanging in there!
i am scheduled to interview at macneal TY on jan 16th, but am hoping to switch to jan 15th... anyone interested? please PM me! thanks in advance.

i applied to most of the TY programs as well as a couple of prelims. this is who i have heard from so far:

interviews
macneal TY
west suburban TY - at the interview, the PD said they are interviewing 70 ppl total
swedish covenant TY - heard they are interviewing 200 ppl!
st. francis IM
rush IM - rumored to be a pretty rough year

waitlist
st. joe's TY

certified my ERAS application on september 23. ophthalmology applicant, US student
GOOD LUCK :luck: