Prelim vs. transitional for neuro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

piggaloo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone!

Just wondering if any of you have ranked transitional programs on your supplemental lists for neuro. I was under the impression that neuro programs are looking for a prelim year rather than transitional, but Emory neurology lets you rank their transitional program for the internship (they say you can rank this transitional program for neuro programs other than Emory as well).

Anyway, is it worth ranking this program on my other supplemental lists, or should I first make sure they meet the various requirements for neuro programs in general (like the 7-8 months of internal medicine exposure etc.)? On the other hand, if it's good enough for Emory's neurology program, is it not safe to assume it ought to be good for other neuro programs also (considering there are common ACGME requirements for all neuro residencies)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, everyone!

Just wondering if any of you have ranked transitional programs on your supplemental lists for neuro. I was under the impression that neuro programs are looking for a prelim year rather than transitional, but Emory neurology lets you rank their transitional program for the internship (they say you can rank this transitional program for neuro programs other than Emory as well).

Anyway, is it worth ranking this program on my other supplemental lists, or should I first make sure they meet the various requirements for neuro programs in general (like the 7-8 months of internal medicine exposure etc.)? On the other hand, if it's good enough for Emory's neurology program, is it not safe to assume it ought to be good for other neuro programs also (considering there are common ACGME requirements for all neuro residencies)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

If it meets the requirements for Emory, then it will meet the requirements for all neuro programs.

Any transition program should give you enough freedom to make it fit any neuro programs requirements. just make sure you know what those are (and most places are about the same)

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel that preliminary programs are favored over transitionals for neuro training. I rather have a solid year of internal medicine than a bunch of short rotations throughout different fields just doing scud work for a hospital. In my opinion, that's why transitional programs exist..

Hi, I will be applying for a neuro residency and was a bit confused about this: Since there are so many 3 yr rograms which require a prelim / transitional yr, i was wondering if is it safe to assume that if i search under freida for internal medicine residencies, using the filter (offers prelim positions) that all the programs that show up would qualify as a prelim for neuro?

would appreciate any help

thanks

Hi, I will be applying for a neuro residency and was a bit confused about this: Since there are so many 3 yr rograms which require a prelim / transitional yr, i was wondering if is it safe to assume that if i search under freida for internal medicine residencies, using the filter (offers prelim positions) that all the programs that show up would qualify as a prelim for neuro?

would appreciate any help

thanks

that's what i did, and so far, it's been ok. good luck!

Reopening this thread because im confused. I read through the posts here, read through the NBPN website, and discussed this with another student who also decided late in the game to go into neuro and we are both lost...still waiting to hear back from a neurologist I just emailed, but I figured I'd shoot this here if anyone can help.

I've already matched into a Navy psych internship, but decided during my last med school rotation, that I actually might want to be a neurologist. Things work different in the Navy, so there's no NRMP contract, the internship is more like a transitional year, and if I do Navy neurology I can do a res/intern afterward to make up for the rotations that I didn't do intern year that are required, so I might not need to repeat the whole internship.

My question is this: let's say I decided to do a neurology residency outside of the military. Would I need to repeat the entire internship year or is it possible to just do the rotations that I am lacking? I guess another way to phrase this would be, what happens if a person does an internship that is not compatable with the requirements? Anyone have this experience? Also, any experience with trying to match into a PGY-2 position with just a years notice? Would you try to enter the match two years before?