Prelim Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GumBougie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious what the opinions are of Transitional Year vs. Surgery vs. Medicine. Will it set you behind the rest of your fellow anesthesia residents if you decide to do a transitional year that may not have lots of medicine and surgery requirements? How much does your prelim year training affect your actual anesthesiology residency? Does anyone who has already completed a transitional year wish they did a surgery or medicine prelim?

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious what the opinions are of Transitional Year vs. Surgery vs. Medicine. Will it set you behind the rest of your fellow anesthesia residents if you decide to do a transitional year that may not have lots of medicine and surgery requirements? How much does your prelim year training affect your actual anesthesiology residency? Does anyone who has already completed a transitional year wish they did a surgery or medicine prelim?

There are several older posts on this topic which were pretty helpful.

I did a medicine prelim, because I thought that attaining a strong medicine background was very important to have a good foundation for anesthesiology. However, in retrospect perhaps a transitional year that has medicine and surgery months (and allows for an anesthesia elective) is a better idea, because my experience has been that knowledge of the surgical procedures helps a lot in terms of timing, for example, and knowing what to expect from the anesthesia side. I've felt like a newbie in terms of the practical aspects of the OR, and this seems to be a very evaluated aspect in anesthesia residency. So, if you want to be seen as a strong anesthesia resident from the outset, my advice is go transitional.

I don't think it makes a difference so do what you'll like most or hate the least whichever the case may be.