preliminary invite mean real invite?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocDO2B

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering here. If a program gives you an invite for a preliminary spot does that mean they may have crossed talked with the ophthalmology department and are planning on giving you an invite as well?? Just a very optimistic thought, but I'm wondering if programs don't want to "waste" their prelim interviews on students with no chance of getting an actual residency spot or do they even consider this...

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering here. If a program gives you an invite for a preliminary spot does that mean they may have crossed talked with the ophthalmology department and are planning on giving you an invite as well?? Just a very optimistic thought, but I'm wondering if programs don't want to "waste" their prelim interviews on students with no chance of getting an actual residency spot or do they even consider this...

I don't think it means anything. Usually after you match ophtho then there is crosstalk.

Probably doesn't mean anything. Prelim programs interview a ton of people from all different specialties. Unlikely they'd crosstalk with so many departments. The burden is probably more on YOU to determine if you want to "waste" a prelim interview trip on a place you don't think you'd get an advanced spot.