Prematch offer in GI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lccjblu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have insight into how a prematch for GI fellowship occurs or how frequently it is extended? I am planning on applying for GI fellowship in the future and have a SO who is applying for a non-IM fellowship, so our ideal situation would be to both get a prematch offer as relying on the match itself could be quite risky.

How does a prematch offer come about? (eg do you go to an interview and a PD thinks you're awesome and offers it up? Do you have to propose it yourself and see if the program thinks you're worth it?)
Is it a common occurrence? I am mainly looking for a university program so I can pursue an academic career, but beyond that the "competitiveness" is not a huge concern.

The only thread I could find was: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/prematch-vs-match-question.1040320/

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have insight into how a prematch for GI fellowship occurs or how frequently it is extended? I am planning on applying for GI fellowship in the future and have a SO who is applying for a non-IM fellowship, so our ideal situation would be to both get a prematch offer as relying on the match itself could be quite risky.

How does a prematch offer come about? (eg do you go to an interview and a PD thinks you're awesome and offers it up? Do you have to propose it yourself and see if the program thinks you're worth it?)
Is it a common occurrence? I am mainly looking for a university program so I can pursue an academic career, but beyond that the "competitiveness" is not a huge concern.

The only thread I could find was: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/prematch-vs-match-question.1040320/
Highly unlikely outside of your home program. Especially for GI

Fellowships aren't under the same strict regulations as residency programs WRT "all in", but they have to put 75% of their spots through the match.

Your best bet is for you to match first (assuming your SO isn't applying to a Derm or surgical sub-specialty fellowship) and have your SO find something in the same location...or to just wait until you're done.

Highly unlikely outside of your home program. Especially for GI

Fellowships aren't under the same strict regulations as residency programs WRT "all in", but they have to put 75% of their spots through the match.

Your best bet is for you to match first (assuming your SO isn't applying to a Derm or surgical sub-specialty fellowship) and have your SO find something in the same location...or to just wait until you're done.

Thanks for the advice. My SO is on the pediatrics side and their fellowship match day is actually a week before adult GI. She also has a lot fewer centers that offer her fellowship Ina field that is just as competitive. Unfortunate, really, but it's good to know going into the process that a pre match is unlikely.

Do you think it would be considered a red flag if I applied, interviewed then pulled out of the match without ranking any programs if none of my interviews were lining up with my SO? I would plan on applying the subsequent year.

Do you think it would be considered a red flag if I applied, interviewed then pulled out of the match without ranking any programs if none of my interviews were lining up with my SO? I would plan on applying the subsequent year.
If her match is before yours, you should have a good idea if the interview offers are lining up before you even start interviewing.

It's not a huge red flag but it's something you may have to explain away.