prematches for my DO/FMG friends?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amyl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anybody get a prematch offer? or is this confidential until match day? anybody know of any places that offer DOs and FMGs prematches after their interview? without a rotation? Umich is the only one i can think of that i have heard about.

Members don't see this ad.

Two years ago I had a buddy sign at Hopkins outside the match. Last year one signed a Michigan. Haven't heard about any this year.

I think signing out of the match is only for FMGs and not for DO...I could be wrong though

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed about 2 weeks ago at a place that is by and far my top choice and one I absolutely loved. My interview went well and got good feedback from the people who interviewed me. As a Caribbean med student, is it wise to email the program and ask if they sign out of the match? Would asking this seem like I am desperate? This is going to be my #1 choice on my rank list and for me, it surpassed all the other programs. I am fairly competitive with good scores on Steps 1 and 2. My only hiccup is that I went to a caribbean school. Any advice would be great here.

no i would not call and ask to be signed out of the match. tell them they are your number one and then pray. maybe someone will disagree with me and that would be great. a top program for me told me i was ranked to match -- not sure if i believe the pd or not.....hopeful but realistic, I guess. i would have signed a prematch if offered but wasn't. i don't think this is the kind of thing you ask for....
but thats just my uninformed opinion....

no i would not call and ask to be signed out of the match. tell them they are your number one and then pray. maybe someone will disagree with me and that would be great. a top program for me told me i was ranked to match -- not sure if i believe the pd or not.....hopeful but realistic, I guess. i would have signed a prematch if offered but wasn't. i don't think this is the kind of thing you ask for....
but thats just my uninformed opinion....

That is what I was thinking. But I know a couple of community based IM programs that signed a few people from my school outside of match. Again, it is IM so that might be the reason why. Another person in my class actually got a contract outside the match but it was at a hospital on probation so they turned it down.

a friend of mine got IM outside the match as well. they offered though he didn't ask and it was after an away rotation, not after just an interview. in anesthesiology i think prematches without a rotation are pretty rare unless the program isn't that strong. i don't know why that is though. i mean if that program was really ranking me to match then why not just whip the contract out then.... that is why i wonder if the pd was really telling the truth...if i was ranked to match and i told them i wanted to come there then why not. i am a DO so it would have been legal....

Both my wife and I were signed outside of the match for anesthesiology at the same program. Actually two different programs gave us this same option. We both already signed our contracts. We are both DO's.

Take Care.