Premed at Stanford vs. USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yah i saw your usc was south carolina. i'm agreeing with you/have personal expeirence withwhat i bolded. all else being equal, you just have an advantage (whether you or like it or not) coming from a top school. i turned plenty town to go to college for free
Lol I know you saw the SC thing but i dont think solitarius saw it. :p
@mo2017 , just in case this got lost in the messages, I think you need to weigh two things:

1. Does your daughter do better in an environment where she is the cream of the crop (USC) or does she do better when she is surrounded by ambitious people? (or is there no preference?)
2. If there is no preference, will taking the scholarship allow you to take out less loans? Or are you well off enough that you can afford Stanford Undergrad and 280K+ out of pocket? (You don't have to answer that question on the boards. Just something you should consider with your family.)

Members don't see this ad.

coming from a top school will give you a boost whether you are applying to Hopkins or a no name state school. that's how it works.
Not always the case. If all else is equal, sure, but am I gonna give guy from ivy league a pass compared to ucsd guy with a slightly higher gpa or mcat? No. Considering NOT everyone in medicine and academia in most universities comes from big names, don't consider them to be really impressed by name alone. Those of us in the real world have worked with graduates from all ranges of colleges and there is no correlation to your undergrad in how good you may be for a job. Ivy league is mainly a way for the rich to network, but medicine has a lot of FMG and graduates from multiple colleges.

Reactions: 1 user
Schools would be stupid to just simply base all of their judgement of you off of MCAT, if it was that perfect, they wouldn't even care about your GPAs. These schools have been around for so long that they know the quality of education specific institutes offer their students, if they know any average joe can get an 3.6 at U of w/e, they will take that into account, and therefore you will be less competitive than someone who earned at a 3.6 at a university that is known to be tougher.

I'm definitely not someone who likes the idea of grade inflation, but even if Harvard does grade inflate, it doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't providing a great education level and learning experiences to their students. There is a reason why these universities consistently are top ranked...
A lot of it comes down to interviewer/adcom individual preference too, I assume. i.e. if this specific person turned down a full ride scholarship to a state school to go Ivy, they will probably place more emphasis on prestige of ugrad institution than someone who did it the other way. If i were sitting on an adcom, I would give someone coming from a state school brownie points for being smart about their money, haha :p It's not really objective is it? The adcom is comprised of human beings...

Members don't see this ad :)
Not always the case. If all else is equal, sure, but am I gonna give guy from ivy league a pass compared to ucsd guy with a slightly higher gpa or mcat? No. Considering NOT everyone in medicine and academia in most universities comes from big names, don't consider them to be really impressed by name alone. Those of us in the real world have worked with graduates from all ranges of colleges and there is no correlation to your undergrad in how good you may be for a job. Ivy league is mainly a way for the rich to network, but medicine has a lot of FMG and graduates from multiple colleges.
twinsies. I had the same idea haha. :D

No but that's what the MCAT is for...so that you can compare applicants from different schools. Also, most Ivies have grade inflation... so dude. My GPA was probably harder to earn here than at Harvard.

I doubt that, considering the bottom 10% of Harvard probably has significantly higher SAT scores than your 90%, I'd imagine a Harvard quality student (as long as they tried) could have a strong GPA at any school in the country. Harvard students deserve their grade inflation

Lol I know you saw the SC thing but i dont think solitarius saw it. :p
@mo2017 , just in case this got lost in the messages, I think you need to weigh two things:

1. Does your daughter do better in an environment where she is the cream of the crop (USC) or does she do better when she is surrounded by ambitious people? (or is there no preference?)
2. If there is no preference, will taking the scholarship allow you to take out less loans? Or are you well off enough that you can afford Stanford Undergrad and 280K+ out of pocket? (You don't have to answer that question on the boards. Just something you should consider with your family.)

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, USC has ambitious students too. They invented tinder over there. :naughty:

I doubt that, considering the bottom 10% of Harvard probably has significantly higher SAT scores than your 90%, I'd imagine a Harvard quality student (as long as they tried) could have a strong GPA at any school in the country. Harvard students deserve their grade inflation
derp. Okay. I mean...I made a 2290 on my SAT, which is higher than the average at Harvard. So...I'm not sure that I scored lower than the bottom 10 % at Harvard and I'm definitely in the top 90% at my school... The IQR at the honors college at U of SC is 1390-1470. In 2011, the average SAT score for freshmen at SC honors college was a 1427. So that kind of kills your little theory there.
And why do Harvard students deserve their grade inflation? Because they had higher standardized exam scores? How does that relate to what you're supposed to be learning in college? http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...at-harvard-is-a-big-problem/?tid=pm_local_pop
This just means that they're not being given a great education. They're being lied to...

you wont. many adcoms will.
But what if he ends up on an adcom some day? What if I end up on adcom someday? What if you end up on an adcom someday. Aren't there people like us on adcoms? Who came from state undergrad institutions and ended up at some of those big name med schools?

edit: wait you have been on an adcom, haven't you?

But what if he ends up on an adcom some day? What if I end up on adcom someday? What if you end up on an adcom someday. Aren't there people like us on adcoms? Who came from state undergrad institutions and ended up at some of those big name med schools?

Yes, imagine yourself on sitting on the ADCOM with two applications on hand exactly the same in every way, except for undergrad institution, one has graduated from a party school and the other from Stanford. Whom will you pick?(no coin toss)

there are people like us on adcoms. they just aren't as prevalent

Yes, imagine yourself on sitting on the ADCOM with two applications on hand exactly the same in every way, except for undergrad institution, one has graduated from a party school and the other from Stanford. Whom will you pick?(no coin toss)

I would choose the applicant who shows curiosity, maturity, deliberation/thoughtfulness, and passion/tendency to pursue her passions whether they are in research, community service, or whatever else. I would also look to make sure that his reasons for pursuing medicine sounded like they would weather the test of all the crap that doctors have to do. Because I think that said person will advocate for her patients and be a dedicated physician who is happy with his career. Now, if that person comes from Stanford, great. If that person comes from a state school, great. If both match that description, I'd pick the girl who went to the state school and made the financially wise decision. Because this person knows the value of money. And financial sense is important in a physician.

I would choose the applicant who shows curiosity, maturity, deliberation/thoughtfulness, and passion/tendency to pursue her passions whether they are in research, community service, or whatever else. I would also look to make sure that his reasons for pursuing medicine sounded like they would weather the test of all the crap that doctors have to do. Because I think that said person will advocate for her patients and be a dedicated physician who is happy with his career. Now, if that person comes from Stanford, great. If that person comes from a state school, great. If both match that description, I'd pick the girl who went to the state school and made the financially wise decision. Because this person knows the value of money. And financial sense is important in a physician.

i hope you're on an adcom one day :)

Members don't see this ad :)

If the two of us were lawyers in court, I'd have a smile stretching from ocean to ocean.

Now I could type a TL;DR post, but I won't. I will simply say that there is a deep reason for your bias and it seems to stem from your experiences with money.

Last edited:
If the two of us were lawyers in court, I'd have a smile stretching from ocean to ocean.

Now I could type a TL;DR post, but I won't. I will simply say that there is a deep reason for your bias and it seems to stem from your experiences with money.
Wait...you mean the experiences with money that come from being the daughter of two physicians? Yes, we're actually well off. But that doesn't mean I haven't learned that money is valuable. Is this a bias? Or is it a form of reasoning? I never denied that my personal experiences don't tinge my decision making. But, your choosing the guy who went to Stanford over the guy who went to a state school is also an inherent bias towards prestige. Decision-making by an adcom is biased by nature; it is tinged by their experiences. I would be worried if it weren't -- we don't want doctors who are robotic MCAT 42 GPA 4.00 with no perceivable emotions/ unable to relate to patients.

Edit: actually all medical decision making is tinged with bias. Without making judgement calls based on past experiences, you cannot be a physician. Lesson brought to you by the Dean of the University of Pittsburgh on interview day during our PBL session.

Edit 2: I don't want to put words into anyone's mouth and I'm not 100% sure it was the dean. So...let's just go with really old, experienced physician at Pitt for now.

Last edited:
Wait...you mean the experiences with money that come from being the daughter of two physicians? Yes, we're actually well off. But that doesn't mean I haven't learned that money is valuable. Is this a bias? Or is it a form of reasoning? I never denied that my personal experiences don't tinge my decision making. But, you're choosing the guy who went to Stanford over the guy who went to a state school is also an inherent bias towards prestige.

It's not reasoning, it's you making up the idea that kids from state schools are more financially responsible. A definite prejudice, not a bias and certainly not informed by reasoning.

On the contrary, my idea about selecting for students from better institutions is not because the name "Stanford" is magical, but rather because they tend to on average recruit better students than less well known schools.

Decision-making by an adcom is biased by nature; it is tinged by their experiences. I would be worried if it weren't -- we don't want doctors who are robotic MCAT 42 GPA 4.00 with no perceivable emotions/ unable to relate to patients.

Agreed, and I never claimed otherwise.

Edit: actually all medical decision making is tinged with bias. Without making judgement calls based on past experiences, you cannot be a physician. Lesson brought to you by the Dean of Admissions at the University of Pittsburgh on interview day during our PBL session.

Disagree, While bias is inevitable, you are making a claim that bias can be a source of good outcomes, which doesn't make any sense. Experience and bias are not the same thing, don't conflate the two.

It's not reasoning, it's you making up the idea that kids from state schools are more financially responsible. A definite prejudice, not a bias and certainly not informed by reasoning.

On the contrary, my idea about selecting for students from better institutions is not because the name "Stanford" is magical, but rather because they tend to on average recruit better students than less well known schools.

Disagree, While bias is inevitable, you are making a claim that bias can be a source of good outcomes, which doesn't make any sense. Experience and bias are not the same thing, don't conflate the two.

I chose my state school over some top schools expressly because of money. In fact, almost our entire honors college chose our state school over top schools because of money. So, yes, kids from state schools often are more financially responsible. Second, how are you defining "better student"? You just said these two students are equal in all respects... Their MCAT scores, grades, EC's are all relatively equivalent. Why is one student better than the other just because he went to Stanford? There's a hole in your reasoning. You're trying to cloak "prestige" with your words. What you're essentially saying is that Stanford is a more prestigious school.

Keep in mind that, a private school is less out of pocket for some students than they would spend to attend their state school. So, we can't always assume that a student who attended a state school is smarter about money.

Also, it was not clear to me whether the OP was referring to U of South Carolina or University of Southern California. My first thought was Southern California but that's my bias. ;)

Reactions: 2 users

They aren't? http://www.boston.com/news/science/...ur-own-minds/7x5K4gvrvaT5d3vpDaXC1K/blog.html
Adcoms are humans and humans are biased. Inherently.

Keep in mind that, a private school is less out of pocket for some students than they would spend to attend their state school. So, we can't always assume that a student who attended a state school is smarter about money.

Also, it was not clear to me whether the OP was referring to U of South Carolina or University of Southern California. My first thought was Southern California but that's my bias. ;)
You're right--that is true! My friend went to So Cal for a lot less than she would have paid at U of South Carolina. I would just perceive the state schooler as financially sensible because that's been my experience. The majority of people I know going to private schools are paying a pretty penny and vice versa for the majority of people I know going to state schools.

The OP is referring to So Cal but I made the whole thing confusing because I go to U of South Carolina :p

You're right--that is true! My friend went to So Cal for a lot less than she would have paid at U of South Carolina. I would just perceive the state schooler as financially sensible because that's been my experience. The majority of people I know going to private schools are paying a pretty penny and vice versa for the majority of people I know going to state schools.

The OP is referring to So Cal but I made the whole thing confusing because I go to U of South Carolina :p

Sometimes it is who you know -- students from low income families who are admitted to top tier schools often get a free ride (with no loans). Students from more affluent families often pay full-freight and for them a private school may be more than a public school.

The direction of this thread has compelled me to chime in. I transferred from an honors college in SC to a top5 school so I've seen both sides of this discussion. There is zero doubt in my mind that the academic environment here at my current top5 pushes students to work harder than back where I transferred from. The grade inflation is warranted and had I started at my current institution I have serious doubts that I would have the 4.0 after 2 years of core sciences that I had coming from my SC public. That isn't to say many of my peers back in SC weren't smart or just as capable but they'd be completely average here in a sea of overachievers. They could likely outperform the bottom 10% here, but beyond that everyone is so capable, with some of the top scorers here being veritable genius'. I know multiple people with 40+ MCATs while back home a 35 was a remarkable score. The expectations are simply higher and everyone holds themselves to a higher standard. The grade inflation rumors are true, however, I also feel 90% of my peers could be 3.9+ students at most all public schools.

Regarding cost of attendance...privates are incredibly generous. All of my expenses here are fully covered room/board/food/living allowances - I am paid to attend while back in SC I was paying 15k/yr out of pocket with loans.

Congratulations on drinking the ivy league kool aid. Remember Bush went to two ivy league schools? Getting into a college only means you are either rich or you could walk on high school water. Once in college, that all goes down the drain. You need to prove yourself still, and the MCAT will help level that out relative to others.

If you want an anecdotal story, one of the investigators I worked with went to CSU then UCI for PhD. He competed at UCSF for a post doc position. He beat Stanford and Harvard graduates for the position.

Real world is something traditional students need to try because you'll be humbled badly come work time.

derp. Okay. I mean...I made a 2290 on my SAT, which is higher than the average at Harvard. So...I'm not sure that I scored lower than the bottom 10 % at Harvard and I'm definitely in the top 90% at my school... The IQR at the honors college at U of SC is 1390-1470. In 2011, the average SAT score for freshmen at SC honors college was a 1427. So that kind of kills your little theory there.
And why do Harvard students deserve their grade inflation? Because they had higher standardized exam scores? How does that relate to what you're supposed to be learning in college? http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...at-harvard-is-a-big-problem/?tid=pm_local_pop
This just means that they're not being given a great education. They're being lied to...

Because they are the most elite of the elite. These kids are phenomenal even outside their scores. And it isn't an auto A, rather, the class is curved to an A-. If your doing average at Harvard, you are msot likely learning the material very well.

And while your SAT scores are higher, you'd probably be in the top 98+% of your SCHOOL. Even your upper 75% for your honors college is significantly lower than Harvards average (25% 1410 75% 1590).
I'm not saying kids at state schools are ruled out of being Harvard material. I'm just saying that most of Harvard students would excel everywhere.

I chose my state school over some top schools expressly because of money. In fact, almost our entire honors college chose our state school over top schools because of money. So, yes, kids from state schools often are more financially responsible. Second, how are you defining "better student"? You just said these two students are equal in all respects... Their MCAT scores, grades, EC's are all relatively equivalent. Why is one student better than the other just because he went to Stanford? There's a hole in your reasoning. You're trying to cloak "prestige" with your words. What you're essentially saying is that Stanford is a more prestigious school.
You should keep in mind that due to the opportunities and networking at a top university, it can very often be well worth the extra say $200k in undergrad tuition when that means you can get much better internships, much better jobs, much better grad schools, etc on average than someone who goes to their state school and saves the money upfront. For example, see this list: http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2013/05/20/25-colleges-with-the-best-return-on-investment/. Most of those schools are very expensive to attend initially, but the bonus really pays off in jobs and opportunities down the line as well as overall money made in a lifetime.

Of course this isn't as relevant for med school admissions as for the rest of the workforce, but how many people who go in thinking they want to be a doctor and actually finish undergrad and actually graduate with that bio/etc major, much less end up applying and getting into schools? Since it is very common to switch to a more "conventional" major/career, quite often that expensive high-end university is very well worth it, and indeed a "smart" decision.

Alright, let me put this another way.

You think you have made a better choice, by choosing the school you did vs. Those other spendthrifty students who went to private schools. The underlying basis of your argument is that there's no advantage to attending a HYPSM school, therefore the additional expenditure is a waste of money -->> therefore students at state schools are better at managing money.

Contrast my argument where I do think the extra money is worth it, and therefore in my eye's I've made the better choice because I saw value where you didn't.

The choice had little to do with your superior understanding of the value of money and much more to do with the fact that your VALUATION of Ivy/Top School education is much lower than that of the people who choose to attend those institutions.

Now in the hypothetical, I proposed, your choice of "I would pick the state kid because of better financial understanding" falls flat, in face of the knowledge that your reasoning started with a chicken and egg problem. ie. I don't think Stanford is worth it, so therefore this other kid from state must have made a better choice -->> Kid from state is better with money.

Contrast this with the following progression:-

1. I don't think Stanford is a better college
2. But I won't punish the student for what he thought was a financial choice that he/she thought was worth it.
3. Applicants from both Stanford and state look identical
-->> I'll flip a coin

In conclusion, I would say that your bias stems from the fact that you think No-name state is the same as top school, which was the debate at hand in the first place, before this detour of state school kids are better with money.

You're trying to cloak "prestige" with your words. What you're essentially saying is that Stanford is a more prestigious school.

Are you claiming that the University of South Carolina and Stanford University recruit the same caliber of student? Becuase they don't, and I was pointing out that they don't and that forms the basis of "prestige".

They aren't? http://www.boston.com/news/science/...ur-own-minds/7x5K4gvrvaT5d3vpDaXC1K/blog.html
Adcoms are humans and humans are biased. Inherently.

I'll just re-quote myself.

You should keep in mind that due to the opportunities and networking at a top university, it can very often be well worth the extra say $200k in undergrad tuition when that means you can get much better internships, much better jobs, much better grad schools, etc on average than someone who goes to their state school and saves the money upfront. For example, see this list: http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2013/05/20/25-colleges-with-the-best-return-on-investment/. Most of those schools are very expensive to attend initially, but the bonus really pays off in jobs and opportunities down the line as well as overall money made in a lifetime.

Of course this isn't as relevant for med school admissions as for the rest of the workforce, but how many people who go in thinking they want to be a doctor and actually finish undergrad and actually graduate with that bio/etc major, much less end up applying and getting into schools? Since it is very common to switch to a more "conventional" major/career, quite often that expensive high-end university is very well worth it, and indeed a "smart" decision.

This is key. While it may be cheaper to attend a lower ranked state school, top schools are often worth the extra price tag due to much better opportunities for graduate/professional school, networking, internships, and jobs.

Congratulations on drinking the ivy league kool aid. Remember Bush went to two ivy league schools? Getting into a college only means you are either rich or you could walk on high school water. Once in college, that all goes down the drain. You need to prove yourself still, and the MCAT will help level that out relative to others.

If you want an anecdotal story, one of the investigators I worked with went to CSU then UCI for PhD. He competed at UCSF for a post doc position. He beat Stanford and Harvard graduates for the position.

Real world is something traditional students need to try because you'll be humbled badly come work time.

Dude, all I'm saying is that on more than average, a IV league students will wreck a state student on both academic and social metrics. That doesn't mean the opposite isn't true.

Bush went to two iv leagues and I'm still sure he's smarter than most of the kids on this board. Not a Bush fan by any means, but being President is a tough/scapegoat kind of job, doesn't mean hes objectively stupid.

I would choose the Stanford student because he picked a higher caliber school and rose to the challenge, rather than become a shark in a pond full of guppies.

Bush went to two iv leagues and I'm still sure he's smarter than most of the kids on this board. Not a Bush fan by any means, but being President is a tough/scapegoat kind of job, doesn't mean hes objectively stupid.

This might actually be true, whilst everyone agrees that he was under-qualified for the job, we must all recognize that it's a hell of a job.

i do want to add one thing. while those kids at the IVYs/top programs are either very bright/rich (wanna make that bush argument or w/e fine), but i have found (n=1) that many lack the social/street/everyday life skills i developed going to my state/"party" school.

discuss

edit: one to clarify that, of course, this is not an always/absolute thing, but more often than not thing IMO

i do want to add one thing. while those kids at the IVYs/top programs are either very bright/rich (wanna make that bush argument or w/e fine), but i have found (n=1) that many lack the social/street/everyday life skills i developed going to my state/"party" school.

discuss

edit: one to clarify that, of course, this is not an always/absolute thing, but more often than not thing IMO

Doesn't really make sense to me. Harvard kids usually have both high SAT and crazy leadership positions (good social skills needed?) whereas a non-competitive state school doesn't screen for either of those metrics. I think its just chance, some will be more akw at IV , some more so at a state school.

Thats like how people assume premeds are akw at interviews because they're all such great students. Premeds at interviews have been some of the most social vibrant people I have met, and its because many of them have done hundreds of hours volunteering with random people, held leadership positions, etc. Those things build up social skills

Doesn't really make sense to me. Harvard kids usually have both high SAT and crazy leadership positions (good social skills needed?) whereas a non-competitive state school doesn't screen for either of those metrics. I think its just chance, some will be more akw at IV , some more so at a state school.

Thats like how people assume premeds are akw at interviews because they're all such great students. Premeds at interviews have been some of the most social vibrant people I have met, and its because many of them have done hundreds of hours volunteering with random people, held leadership positions, etc. Those things build up social skills

good point. do you think there is any independence/social skills that may be acquired by students at less known/state schools b/c opportunities may be less available/well established and they may need to take more initiative? I know "normal" and "awkward" students from both types of schools and the lack of everyday skills is what i have notice more in those IVY types

The correct answer is clearly Stanford. How is it that this thread is still alive?

The correct answer is clearly Stanford. How is it that this thread is still alive?
b/c we have gone off on several tangents. but yes that is the answer

good point. do you think there is any independence/social skills that may be acquired by students at less known/state schools b/c opportunities may be less available/well established and they may need to take more initiative? I know "normal" and "awkward" students from both types of schools and the lack of everyday skills is what i have notice more in those IVY types

I think that state students are probably better at budgeting time etc, while there are certainly many students who have to work at IV leagues, I'm sure there is a higher proportion at state schools. But this is something that I think is learned easily at their first job, or, maybe potentially (just theorizing here) as a 3rd year med student.

I think your experiences have been more due to chance than any conclusion between distinguishing IV and state students.

Overall, fun discussion though!

Dude, all I'm saying is that on more than average, a IV league students will wreck a state student on both academic and social metrics. That doesn't mean the opposite isn't true.

You are going to be very surprised come time to be in the real world. I'm not saying ivy students don't have their merit, but you think they're on a level which they are not.

You are going to be very surprised come time to be in the real world. I'm not saying ivy students don't have their merit, but you think they're on a level which they are not.

I'm just saying that having an IV degree generally tells a story about your characteristics that doesn't appear from a stateschool. Obviously, if I knew both individuals well, then that would be much more impactful than their degree.

For anyone who goes to USC, is it considered "dangerous" to go there? I know it's not in the best kind of neighborhood. I've always kind of wondered about this.

You pretty much have to decide on gang affiliation the day you arrive if you want any hope of surviving to graduation. May the odds be ever in your favor.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm just saying that having an IV degree generally tells a story about your characteristics that doesn't appear from a stateschool. Obviously, if I knew both individuals well, then that would be much more impactful than their degree.

Truth. Having that sucker injected into your veins is pretty damn impressive. Also, Stanford isn't a part of the Ivy League. Still an excellent school, though.

Alright, let me put this another way.

You think you have made a better choice, by choosing the school you did vs. Those other spendthrifty students who went to private schools. The underlying basis of your argument is that there's no advantage to attending a HYPSM school, therefore the additional expenditure is a waste of money -->> therefore students at state schools are better at managing money.

Contrast my argument where I do think the extra money is worth it, and therefore in my eye's I've made the better choice because I saw value where you didn't.

The choice had little to do with your superior understanding of the value of money and much more to do with the fact that your VALUATION of Ivy/Top School education is much lower than that of the people who choose to attend those institutions.

Now in the hypothetical, I proposed, your choice of "I would pick the state kid because of better financial understanding" falls flat, in face of the knowledge that your reasoning started with a chicken and egg problem. ie. I don't think Stanford is worth it, so therefore this other kid from state must have made a better choice -->> Kid from state is better with money.

Contrast this with the following progression:-

1. I don't think Stanford is a better college
2. But I won't punish the student for what he thought was a financial choice that he/she thought was worth it.
3. Applicants from both Stanford and state look identical
-->> I'll flip a coin

In conclusion, I would say that your bias stems from the fact that you think No-name state is the same as top school, which was the debate at hand in the first place, before this detour of state school kids are better with money.

Are you claiming that the University of South Carolina and Stanford University recruit the same caliber of student? Becuase they don't, and I was pointing out that they don't and that forms the basis of "prestige".

I'll just re-quote myself.
No, that is absolutely not my reasoning or my thought process.
1. I think that an Ivy League is a waste of money FOR AN AVERAGE PREMED STUDENT THAT IS CERTAIN ABOUT HIS OR HER CAREER PATH for the most part (unless you are getting a scholarship or are very very wealthy). Not true if you want to go into almost any other field.
2. I think that much of learning the basic sciences is up to self motivation and being able to teach yourself. I never studied for an A. I studied to understand the material.
3. Stanford and U of SC CAN have the same caliber of student, although the average student is not of the same caliber. IE a top student at U of SC will be about average at Stanford. those at the very top of Stanford are extremely intelligent. I.E. I am not a genius, but had I gone to one of the other schools I got into, I probably would be around average. I'm arguing that I would have most likely ended up at the same medical school. I saved hundreds of thousands of dollars. The two students we're talking about in this hypothetical -- one is obviously at the top of his state school. The other is middle of the deck at Harvard. We are talking about the SAME caliber student. Each just made a different decision of where to go. I think that the student who chose the state school made the better decision because I think he saved a ton of money while ensuring an environment where opportunities would be easy to reach. Basic science education is generally similar wherever you go because of the self teaching component. This is smart, in my books.
4. At schools like Harvard, most classes are taught by TAs. At my school, they are taught by professors.
5. If the state school kid had gone to Harvard or Stanford, he would be in the SAME position, but just from Harvard.
6. Say I had gone to Duke. I would not be a public health major. There is no undergraduate public health major at Duke. So, in this case, I actually gained an opportunity from going to my state school. Mentors and Professors were easily accessible to me. I had an easier time getting resources and gaining experiences that would have been harder to come by at a top tier school. This is true, because I know students who chose these schools. The resources were snapped up by those at the top. In other words, I had a better experience at U of SC. I got a practical education here that I wouldn't have been allowed to have at a top tier school. I designed my own research project and started my own organization. I WOULD NOT have been able to do that at a top tier university. Because I would have been average. In other words, this state school education was more valuable than an Ivy League education.

I AM NOT arguing that the average student at Carolina is the average student at Harvard. I AM NOT arguing that I am as smart as someone at the top of Harvard. I AM NOT arguing that an Ivy isn't sometimes worth the money. I AM NOT arguing that I don't value Ivy League schools (just not in this case and not in the case of someone average like me). I AM arguing that an average student set on being premed is better off at a state school because of the money, the accessible resources, and the accessible professors.

Last edited:
No, that is absolutely not my reasoning or my thought process.
1. I think that an Ivy League is a waste of money FOR AN AVERAGE PREMED STUDENT THAT IS CERTAIN ABOUT HIS OR HER CAREER PATH for the most part (unless you are getting a scholarship or are very very wealthy). Not true if you want to go into almost any other field.
2. I think that much of learning the basic sciences is up to self motivation and being able to teach yourself. I never studied for an A. I studied to understand the material.
3. Stanford and U of SC CAN have the same caliber of student, although the average student is not of the same caliber. IE a top student at U of SC will be about average at Stanford. those at the very top of Stanford are extremely intelligent. I.E. I am not a genius, but had I gone to one of the other schools I got into, I probably would be around average. I'm arguing that I would have most likely ended up at the same medical school. I saved hundreds of thousands of dollars. The two students we're talking about in this hypothetical -- one is obviously at the top of his state school. The other is middle of the deck at Harvard. We are talking about the SAME caliber student. Each just made a different decision of where to go. I think that the student who chose the state school made the better decision because I think he saved a ton of money while ensuring an environment where opportunities would be easy to reach. Basic science education is generally similar wherever you go because of the self teaching component. This is smart, in my books.
4. At schools like Harvard, most classes are taught by TAs. At my school, they are taught by professors.
5. If the state school kid had gone to Harvard or Stanford, he would be in the SAME position, but just from Harvard.
6. Say I had gone to Duke. I would not be a public health major. There is no undergraduate public health major at Duke. So, in this case, I actually gained an opportunity from going to my state school. Mentors and Professors were easily accessible to me. I had an easier time getting resources and gaining experiences that would have been harder to come by at a top tier school. This is true, because I know students who chose these schools. The resources were snapped up by those at the top. In other words, I had a better experience at U of SC. I got a practical education here that I wouldn't have been allowed to have at a top tier school. Because I would have been average. In other words, this state school education was more valuable than an Ivy League education.

That's quite specific to your situation. So you shouldn't have the same idea fitted on all ivy grads.

1. What happens if someone didn't figure out they want to be premeds till junior year? It wouldn't be fair to penalize because they went the ivy route.
2. Conflict with 4. If true, why does TA vs professor matter? at least in science?
3. My state school was more expensive than my OOS private school education. Not everyone fits that mode. Are you going to tell me that I was financially irresponsible because I went to a school that had a higher advertised tuition?
4. similar to 2.
5. Are you sure? The state school near my house had 500+ class size for chemistry + orgo. My private school had 50. I knew all the professors really well. I think I had better opportunity to connect, and they wrote amazing LOR that was mentioned in multiple interviews.
6. True but same thing can be said of the reverse, Harvard could've had some weird major that was not offered at the state school, Yale might've offered better faculty access, it might've had more student resource. You have no idea if you had a better experience at UofSC because you never attended those institutions.

To think that all ivy grads are *****s flushing money down the toilet is simply stretching it to the extreme.

Disclaimer: Not an ivy grad.

That's quite specific to your situation. So you shouldn't have the same idea fitted on all ivy grads.

1. What happens if someone didn't figure out they want to be premeds till junior year? It wouldn't be fair to penalize because they went the ivy route.
2. Conflict with 4. If true, why does TA vs professor matter? at least in science?
3. My state school was more expensive than my OOS private school education. Not everyone fits that mode.
4. similar to 2.
5. Are you sure? The state school near my house had 500+ class size for chemistry + orgo. My private school had 50. I knew all the professors really well. I think I had better opportunity to connect, and they wrote amazing LOR that was mentioned in multiple interviews.
6. True can be said of the reverse, Harvard could've had some weird major that was not offered at the state school, Yale might've offered better faculty access, you have no idea if you had a better experience at UofSC because you never attended those institutions.

To think that all ivy grads are *****s flushing money down the toilet is simply stretching it to the extreme.
Did I say that all Ivy grads were *****s? I absolutely did not. I said from the get go that I was biased. BUT there are adcoms biased I the other directions. Choosing the Ivy student is also assuming some very specific circumstances. I know many people who will make the same points that I do about a state school education. EITHER way you are biased. Unless you flip a coin.

And yes, of course your state school had large intros level classes. So did mine. (Well...not the honors courses) But I stood out in a 600 person class. I stood out in nearly all my classes. Why? Because I was the cream at my state school. I had access to professors and mentors bc these people respond to the cream of the crop at their institution. I just wouldn't have had this access at an Ivy (at least I think not....)

Last edited:
Did I say that all Ivy grads were *****s? I absolutely did not. I said from the get go that I was biased. BUT there are adcoms biased I the other directions. Choosing the Ivy student is also assuming some very specific circumstances. I know many people who will make the same points that I do about a state school education. EITHER way you are biased. Unless you flip a coin.

If I were ever to pick two applicants with same credentials, it would come down to the PS. That's the one thing that's guaranteed to be different. Problem solved!

I would choose the applicant who shows curiosity, maturity, deliberation/thoughtfulness, and passion/tendency to pursue her passions whether they are in research, community service, or whatever else. I would also look to make sure that his reasons for pursuing medicine sounded like they would weather the test of all the crap that doctors have to do. Because I think that said person will advocate for her patients and be a dedicated physician who is happy with his career. Now, if that person comes from Stanford, great. If that person comes from a state school, great.

As I wrote before, I agree with you and would only make the decision thus if ALL ELSE was equal.
If I were ever to pick two applicants with same credentials, it would come down to the PS. That's the one thing that's guaranteed to be different. Problem solved!

And yes, of course your state school had large intros level classes. So did mine. (Well...not the honors courses) But I stood out in a 600 person class. I stood out in nearly all my classes. Why? Because I was the cream at my state school. I had access to professors and mentors bc these people respond to the cream of the crop at their institution. I just wouldn't have had this access at an Ivy (at least I think not....)

I think we have a problem where both of us think our side was better even though neither of us experienced the other. And I also think not all state/private schools are created equal. I heard of state schools where TA taught the course and professor having 1hr of office hour/week, and yes I also heard of the Harvard undergraduate education being not so great, that it's name only.

My best recommendation letter came from my political science professor where I got a C+ (there goes law school possibilities :p), but he still saw me trying and was impressed that I had the guts to take something new and unfamiliar (Obviously a 40 people limit helped). Doesn't always have to be the cream of the crop to stand out in some cases.

P.S., might've skimmed through a good chunk of this thread.

If that's how you want to see the world, go ahead. When it comes to the real world hiring, you read the entire resume, and I'm not hiring 3.4 Dartmouth over U of New Mexico with 3.4 + work experience. Only when things are more or less equal about the candidates is that you may see a marginal advantage for where your degree came from. Lets get personal with this. I went to a top 50 undergrad. I have done research at a 20 and a top 5. I didn't get interviews at every place I applied, yet people from state school did get some where I didn't. You've drank the ivy league kool-aid. The only thing your ivy league degree says is that you had a strong high school career (or rich parents) and managed to at least get the 2.0 to graduate. If you want your degree to be more than that, you build a resume. If you've really gone to college, you wonder how some people get there. I have at all institutions I've studied or done research in.

Everytime you say IV school I wanna ask "What is this intravenous school of which you speak?"

I believe you mean Ivy.

If that's how you want to see the world, go ahead. When it comes to the real world hiring, you read the entire resume, and I'm not hiring 3.4 Dartmouth over U of New Mexico with 3.4 + work experience. Only when things are more or less equal about the candidates is that you may see a marginal advantage for where your degree came from. Lets get personal with this. I went to a top 50 undergrad. I have done research at a 20 and a top 5. I didn't get interviews at every place I applied, yet people from state school did get some where I didn't. You've drank the ivy league kool-aid. The only thing your ivy league degree says is that you had a strong high school career (or rich parents) and managed to at least get the 2.0 to graduate. If you want your degree to be more than that, you build a resume. If you've really gone to college, you wonder how some people get there. I have at all institutions I've studied or done research in.

Didn't go to an Ivy League, I went to USC (Cali), and obviously a 3.4 + work experience at state > 3.4 no work experience IVY.

But all being equal, I choose the IVY leaguer, ALL BEING EQUAl

I was a terrible student growing up, turned it around in community college, and transferred to a decent Top 25 school, I didn't drink the IVY cool-aid, I simply respect the amount of stuff a student had to do to get accepted into an IVY league (or equiv school) while I was slacking off. Thats all!

Im going to chime in late here because nobody has really said this but the real advantage of Ivy League Tier schools is not because they are supposedly superior at teaching, not because HYPS automatically means every student is exceptional and deserves to go to medical school, the real advantage is *the people*

HYPS type schools attract more ambitious high achievers, both faculty *and* other students, than other schools would. That in itself affords you more oppourtunities. An extreme example: your roommate could be the next Zuckerberg and they might ask you to help them. And don't forget alumni connections, especially in selective schools, alumni are more sympathetic to their fellow classmates.

It's about who you know and there just happen to be more "who you knows" at top schools.