Premed Major = Stupid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alexander99

Ghetto Fabulous
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK. So I know that when most people say their major is "premed," they actually mean that they're majoring in some science discipline and they intend to apply to med school. Why is that necessary to mention?

For example, if you're a Lit major and you intend to teach at the college level, when people ask you what your major is, you say Lit. You don't say, "I'm a pre-professor." They're asking you what your major is--not what your career plans are.

I mean, do students ever say their major is pre-pharm, pre-dental, pre-nursing, etc? I've never heard of it.

I realize that some schools actually made a premed major but that doesn't make any sense for two reasons:

1. If the major is pre-medicine, what is the focus or their classes/studies? Is it the study of being a premed? For example, if you're a bio major, you study biology. If you're a premed major, do you take classes on the MCAT, AMCAS, personal statements, interviewing, etc? The major would only make sense if you studied courses that would help you once you're in med school but I doubt schools offer classes like pharmacology, pathology, etc at the undergrad level.

2. What use is your major if you graduate and can't get into med school? Are you limited to a profession that requires any bachelor's degree (basically a lower paying job)?

I'm going to make a point about how ridiculous it is to say you're a premed when someone asks your major by saying "I'm pre-surgery" the next time someone asks me what my major is. Why not go a step further and tell them exactly what you intend to do in your career when asked what your major is.

Some other ridiculous ones:

"Pre-pro athlete."
"Pre-CEO"
"Pre-newscaster"
"Pre-Senator"
"Pre-organized crime boss"

Members don't see this ad.

Do people actually say that their MAJOR is pre-med?

I did not know that....well if they do, yeah that is stupid.

I mean, i've heard people say "I'm pre-med"...and that's fine...but "My MAJOR is pre-med" sounds ridiculous. There's a big difference between the two.

Or maybe you have a problem with the "I'm pre-med" statement as well? I wouldn't be able to understand why though...

"Pre-organized crime boss"? my school didn't offer that major. I knew I should have gone somewhere else.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think some schools do have a premed major. Why schools do this is beyond me, because:

1. what happens if you don't get in?

2. you're not going to impress med schools with a premed major, I doubt

3. premed isnt a real discipline

Its ridiculous, I dont even know why that major exists.

I also thought most schools phased out the so called "premed major"

At my school I was a Biology major with a premedical concentration. That is what is says on my transcript.

UCdannyLA said:
Do people actually say that their MAJOR is pre-med?

I did not know that....well if they do, yeah that is stupid.

I mean, i've heard people say "I'm pre-med"...and that's fine...but "My MAJOR is pre-med" sounds ridiculous. There's a big difference between the two.

Or maybe you have a problem with the "I'm pre-med" statement as well? I wouldn't be able to understand why though...

Of course I have no problem with the statement that someone is premed. If someone asks what you intend to do after you graduate, it's only normal to say you're premed and are going to apply to med school.

But at our school for example, we don't have a premed major (like most schools.) I've asked several students what their major is and they say, "I'm premed." I normally tell them that our school doesn't have a premed major and they say, "Oh. Well I'm a Bio major/premed." That's not a major either but at that point, I give up.

PublicEnemy said:
"Pre-organized crime boss"? my school didn't offer that major. I knew I should have gone somewhere else.

That's my minor. :thumbup:

Amy B said:
I also thought most schools phased out the so called "premed major"

At my school I was a Biology major with a premedical concentration. That is what is says on my transcript.

Isn't that sort of redundant as well? Doesn't the bio major satisfy 95% of premed requirements? Would the classes you took have been any different had you just been a straight Bio major without a premed concentration?

Alexander99 said:
Isn't that sort of redundant as well? Doesn't the bio major satisfy 95% of premed requirements? Would the classes you took have been any different had you just been a straight Bio major without a premed concentration?

A Bio major with a "premed concentration" likely just has the other non-bio prereqs in it. I really have no idea, I didnt know premed majors or premed concentrations or premed minors still existed.

Gleevec said:
A Bio major with a "premed concentration" likely just has the other non-bio prereqs in it. I really have no idea, I didnt know premed majors or premed concentrations or premed minors still existed.

At some universities, there is a distinction between biological sciences: Ecology, Environmental Biology, Zoology...etc...

So I have heard of Premedical biology or Prehealth Biology to indicate the course diffs. from other bio. majors.

gioia said:
At some universities, there is a distinction between biological sciences: Ecology, Environmental Biology, Zoology...etc...

So I have heard of Premedical biology or Prehealth Biology to indicate the course diffs. from other bio. majors.
At my school, all the "life science" majors (Psychobio, Microbio, Molecular Bio, Physiological science, neuroscience, and evolution/ecology) all have to take the pre-med req. I mean these are usually all just lower-div classes anyway.

I still see no point in having something like Pre-med major or concentration.

Alexander99 said:
but I doubt schools offer classes like pharmacology, pathology, etc at the undergrad level.

My major in undergrad at Texas A&M was Biomedical Science. It is basically what most people that want to be doctors, vets, nurses, PA's, etc. major in. The advantage is that it is in the College of Veterinary Medicine at A&M, so we do take Anatomy (as a separate course with dissection lab), Mammalian Physiology (again, separate class), and electives in Pharmacology, Pathology, etc. Most of these classes are taught by the same professors that teach at the Vet. School.

-Scott, MS2, UT-Houston

stw2361 said:
My major in undergrad at Texas A&M was Biomedical Science. It is basically what most people that want to be doctors, vets, nurses, PA's, etc. major in. The advantage is that it is in the College of Veterinary Medicine at A&M, so we do take Anatomy (as a separate course with dissection lab), Mammalian Physiology (again, separate class), and electives in Pharmacology, Pathology, etc. Most of these classes are taught by the same professors that teach at the Vet. School.

-Scott, MS2, UT-Houston

That's pretty damn cool. See, with the courses you got to take, I'd say that's an actual premed major (it's preparing you for med school).

Members don't see this ad :)
stw2361 said:

-Scott, MS2, UT-Houston
My major allows me to take certain public health classes from the School of Public Health to satisfy my electives...so I took Biostat and Epidemiology. Epi was really interesting though

Alexander99 said:
I mean, do students ever say their major is pre-pharm, pre-dental, pre-nursing, etc? I've never heard of it.

I agree that saying that you are "Pre-med" is ******ed, but people all the time refer to themselves as pre-pharm and pre-optometry at my school and it makes some sense. You must not know any pre-pharm, pre-opt, or pre-nursing students. The reason it makes sense for them is because that is their major. At my school, you take 2 years of science classes before applying to pharmacy school. You don't get a degree of any kind, not even associates. The only thing these people can say is that they are pre-pharm. Not meaning pre-pharmacists as you seemed to imply, but actually prer-pharmacy students or pre-pharmacy majors. The same goes for pre-opt. At my school, you take 3 years of science classes before applying to optometry school. Pre-law students are pre-law majors, not pre-lawyers.

So, I think when people say pre-med, it actually means they are pre-medicine majors, but I still think this is ******ed in the case of medicine because in this case you actually have another major. You actually have something else that you are shooting for. I try not to tell people that I am pre-med, if they ask me what I plan to do after graduation I tell them that I plan to apply to medical school.

it's funny. you ask somebody their major and they say "pre-med" because they think saying biology or chemistry just isn't prestigious enough. i came across several people while taking my pre-req classes that said their major was pre-med.

their parents are usually even worse. i know a couple people at work with kids entering college so i asked "what's his/her major?"... answer: pre-med. like saying biology would make me think their kid is dumb. i usually came back with, "oh, i thought most schools didn't offer pre-med as a major since not many companies recruit people with pre-med degrees in case you don't get into med school." at which point they usually said "well, biology is his/her major, but he/she is going to med school"

as for me, i thought i was in engineering but "pre-deskjocky" would have been a better answer

The phrase "I'm studying pre-med" exists solely for the purpose of shameless self promotion. People who say that know that invariably they will get replies of "ooh! ahh!" "wow you must be smart", or "what a genius!", "Impressive!". It is amazing how many of these so called "pre-meds" ended up not going to medical school. I just find it a little pompous. A premed is someone that wants to go to medical school and is taking the prerequisites, but its not by any measure a major!

Whats your major?
"pre-med"
So what do people with pre-med majors do?
"they go to med school"
Dont the vast majority of "premeds" never get in med school? What if you dont get in?
"...."

How about "Pre-College Graduate"?

When people ask me what my major is, I get a little flustered, because I'm post-baccalaureate pre-med, so I really don't have a major at all. So I say things like "I am currently seeking a degree at this institution." And then explain.

gdk said:
it's funny. you ask somebody their major and they say "pre-med" because they think saying biology or chemistry just isn't prestigious enough. i came across several people while taking my pre-req classes that said their major was pre-med.

their parents are usually even worse. i know a couple people at work with kids entering college so i asked "what's his/her major?"... answer: pre-med. like saying biology would make me think their kid is dumb. i usually came back with, "oh, i thought most schools didn't offer pre-med as a major since not many companies recruit people with pre-med degrees in case you don't get into med school." at which point they usually said "well, biology is his/her major, but he/she is going to med school"

as for me, i thought i was in engineering but "pre-deskjocky" would have been a better answer

my grandparents think i'm already a doctor. they go around telling anyone and everyone that their granddaughter is a doctor. it's kinda funny though, because they don't realize the distinction between being an undergraduate student, a med student, and an actual doctor. as soon as i decided to go to med school, i became a doctor to them. and they'll even ask me medical problems, like i'm supposed to know the answer to. i'm only in undergrad! i usually tell them they should see a doctor who has been to medical school first.

Hah, that's so funny, my grandparents are from Cuba, and they also don't really get the difference. They do know I'm not in medical school though, but they also tell people I am going to be a doctor thinking I'm already in. They sent me a USMLE study book for surgery a few months back they picked up from a friend. Have to love them though :)

i agree completely with the OP. u know, i actually got into an argument with someone on whether premed is a major or not. it's not a major, it's the program youre in! everytime i ask someone what their major is, they say premed. im like ok so what's your major? i think some ppl actually know better, they just wanna be cocky like "look at me im gonna be a doctor!!!"

I got a flat tire the otherr day, and had to go back to NTB to get it fixed because that's where the warranty is. The guy asked me where I thought it go the screw stuck in it, and I said because of all of the construction at UMCP. He was like "I go there too!" so I asked him his major. His response? "Pre-med" Yeah, no such thing. So I asked where he wanted to go for med school, he replied Meharry. Okay, you know they've been having some serious issues there?! No, he just wantes to go there because his parents did.

I expect to be seeing him at NTB for a looooooong while :eek:

tae1703 said:
i agree completely with the OP. u know, i actually got into an argument with someone on whether premed is a major or not. it's not a major, it's the program youre in! everytime i ask someone what their major is, they say premed. im like ok so what's your major? i think some ppl actually know better, they just wanna be cocky like "look at me im gonna be a doctor!!!"

I'm glad people are agreeing with me on this topic. A major is what shows up on your transcript. Premed is what your career plans are. Surprisingly, many people that identify themselves as premed can't seem to distinguish the two.

I also don't like the fact that a lot of premeds are so into going to med school that they lose sight of the fact that their undergrad degree has a point. I'm a bio major and I take pride in the fact that I study biology and know a bit about it. I think it's a shame that so many premeds see their major as pointless once they get into med school.

If you guys are talking about people who are asked about their majors and answer, "premed" then you're probably talking about me. But this is not because I actually think that "pre-med" is my major, nor do I believe it makes me sound distinguished...it's just that most of the time when people ask you something like that, all they want to know is your career direction...for example:

Case 1

stranger: So, what's your major?
me: oh i'm a biology/chemistry major
stranger: oh..i see...do you like science or something?
me: oh no, i actually want to practice medicine
stranger: oh dumba$$ why didnt you just say so?? i don't give **** if you're a bio major

Case 2

me: oh i'm premed
stranger: oh ok, very nice

PublicEnemy said:

Thats a pretty common major... they just usually call it "Pre-law."

My transcript says "BS Biology/Pre-med" or "Pre-medical curriculum" or something like that. I dont see a problem with it... although, it would probably be better to make the official name Biomedical sciences or Cell/Molecular bio curr - something less likely to look bad if students never go to med school. Thats what the degree was - a curriculum tailored FOR med school prep. rather than one of the other areas of Bio. like Environmental Bio, wildlife, etc.

I think that in a lot of cases when you ask underclassmen what their major is they say that they are pre-med not because they believe it is a major but because in a lot of cases freshmen and sophmores have not yet picked a major so it is easier to say "I'm pre-med" then it is to say "I don't know what I want to major in but I want to go to medical school" I think in a lot of cases when someone says the former you can interpret that as the latter. Of course there are exceptions but I think most people understand that pre-med is not a major.

ifailedmcat said:
If you guys are talking about people who are asked about their majors and answer, "premed" then you're probably talking about me. But this is not because I actually think that "pre-med" is my major, nor do I believe it makes me sound distinguished...it's just that most of the time when people ask you something like that, all they want to know is your career direction...for example:

Case 1

me: oh i'm a biology/chemistry major
stranger: oh..i see...do you like science or something?
me: oh no, i actually want to practice medicine
stranger: oh dumba$$ why didnt you just say so?? i don't give **** if you're a bio major

Case 2

me: oh i'm premed
stranger: oh ok, very nice

yeah, i'm sure this is exactly how these conversations go. :rolleyes:

it's actually more like this:
stranger: what is your major?
me: biomedical engineering
stranger: oh, what do you do with a degree like that?
me: well you can make artificial limbs, do drug research, etc
stranger: oh, so is that what you're going to do?
me: no, actually i'm hoping to go to med school

when i ask people their major, i want to know what their major is. if i wanted to know what their stuck up a$$ wanted to do after college i would ask what their career plans are. i typically ask people what their major is and then what they plan to do with it. please stop running around telling everyone you are pre-med. it is irritating and makes you look conceited.

I know that's actually not how the conversations go :rolleyes: . I was just trying to emphasize a point. Actually I think biomedical engineering/pre-med sounds more intimidating than just pre-med. Anyways, where I'm at, everyone and their mom is pre-med, so I don't think it's conceited at all. And if you truly want to become a doctor for the prestige it gives you, to be able to brag about how you're going to become a doctor, then I'm not too sure those are the right reasons. The other day, I was asked by about 5 different nurses what my major was, knowing that it would lead to the inevitable, "what do u plan to do?"

hey ifailedmcat,

just wanted to say sorry... i reread my post and i feel like i sounded like a total jerk. people saying they are pre-med to try and intimidate you or impress you is just one of my pet peeves.

Totally depends on who you're talking to. If you're talking to a business major:
First off, use small words. Then, just tell them you're a pre-med. On the other hand, if you're talking to a science or math major, tell them you're biology.

(I couldn't pass on the opportunity to rip on business majors.)

UseUrHeadFred said:
Totally depends on who you're talking to. If you're talking to a business major:
First off, use small words. Then, just tell them you're a pre-med. On the other hand, if you're talking to a science or math major, tell them you're biology.

(I couldn't pass on the opportunity to rip on business majors.)

What's wrong with business majors? A lot of them have high goals and ambition. I think it's the comm majors you're thinking of.

It's tradition. I just rip on 'em because a friend of mine is a business major. Prototypical, movie-style frat boy.

He actually complained to me once about having to get a "C" in a class to get his degree ("even though it's not in my major! I'm so stressed out!"). Was actually on track for an "A" in his English class, but figured he'd just ignore the last assignment and take a "C".

Actually showed up for a class drunk... more than once! It was a morning class!

I saw him outside his house one day with an old stereo he was throwing away. Did he just put it in the dumpster? NOOOO.. he decided to fling it around his head by the cord a couple times. Ended up putting a dent in his own BMW.

Alexander99 said:
2. What use is your major if you graduate and can't get into med school? Are you limited to a profession that requires any bachelor's degree (basically a lower paying job)?

engineering pays really well as does comp sci. the combined management route through this can be lucrative.

in general though, you are correct. bio majors can't do too much with just a BS.

LauraMac said:
hey ifailedmcat,

just wanted to say sorry... i reread my post and i feel like i sounded like a total jerk. people saying they are pre-med to try and intimidate you or impress you is just one of my pet peeves.

Don't worry about it :thumbup:. I know what you mean though, most students who do that are first year pre-meds at my school. Most of them have no idea what they are getting themselves into. It's funny because instead of being impressed, most people feel sorry for you when they hear you're pre-med :( .

UseUrHeadFred said:
It's tradition. I just rip on 'em because a friend of mine is a business major. Prototypical, movie-style frat boy.

He actually complained to me once about having to get a "C" in a class to get his degree ("even though it's not in my major! I'm so stressed out!"). Was actually on track for an "A" in his English class, but figured he'd just ignore the last assignment and take a "C".

Actually showed up for a class drunk... more than once! It was a morning class!

I saw him outside his house one day with an old stereo he was throwing away. Did he just put it in the dumpster? NOOOO.. he decided to fling it around his head by the cord a couple times. Ended up putting a dent in his own BMW.

Lol, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It?s even better when your major is Information Technology?..so you?re going into the computer field?..no, I?m going to medical school?? :cool: