PreMed with Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FloralLove

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi ! This is my first time posting on this forum and I'm probably going to sound crazy with all the questions I will ask .
Before I ask my questions , I'm going to tell you all a little about myself .
I'm 19 & a college Sophomore. I am a biochemistry major and my gpa stands at a 3.91.
I haven't taken an MCAT and I don't plan to take it until my senior year ( ill explain why in a few) . I am a member of 2 school clubs & I received an offer to be treasurer in one and Public relations person in the second .
I'm going to start a 6 month pre med program in a few weeks
I'm also doing post sandy hurricane cleaning this week with a school club
I plan on doing more volunteer work in two more hospitals, a nursing home , research with the biochemistry professor in my university .
I've done tutoring in various subjects
Oh ! & I'm a New York Resident
The reason I'm not taking my mcat earlier is because I want to be very prepared for it and I want to complete some of my goals before doing so.
Now my question is , am I on the right track so far for medical school ( specifically SUNY downstate, SUNY upstate and SUNY stonybrook) . I would also like to know if there are any extra curriculum's that I can do that would boost my chances.

Members don't see this ad.

Woah that is a lot! (well for me that is).

I think the main thing is keep up the good GPA and really do well on the MCAT. These are really the two factors that are most important. Your GPA looks fantastic!

As for the extracurriculars, do what interest's you. Most SDNers here have the motto "depth" of your ECs are more important than "breadth." Don't take on your ECs like a check list but take on your ECs because you are interested in them. It is better to have 2 ECs that you are really involved in than 5 ECs just to put on the record. This will help generate an experience you can talk about at your interviews and even help you gain LORs that have substance.

So if you like to do research, then go for it. If you want to be student leader of your club, then go for it. Just make sure you are not doing too much at once, otherwise even your GPA will suffer. Main thing is have a balanced college life and don't stress out too much.

Also, take the MCAT whenever you feel ready. Don't rush into anything and do things at your own pace.

Good luck to you!

Island's advice is pure gold. Its hard to add anything more than what he/she said. The depth is especially important and be able to talk about them and have LORs for them.

My two cents added is that you start to look for a few mentors (faculty and/or outside of academics) whom you can really connect with and develop a great relationship with them. Don't do this solely for getting into medical school but for developing yourself and learning from these role models. For me, developing maturity and having their guidance really helped me with application as well as during interviews.

Ooh also, why the specific interest in SUNY schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much both of you ! I appreciate your advice and its really clarifying what I need to do . & I'm interested in SUNY schools because I'm in the SUNY system now & I really like it. I've also heard very good things about them :) plus they're not too far from home & I've done a bit of research in tuition costs and it seems as it won't burn a hole in my pockets as much as other schools .

So far, so good! Think about Cornell with that GPA.

Hi ! This is my first time posting on this forum and I'm probably going to sound crazy with all the questions I will ask .
Before I ask my questions , I'm going to tell you all a little about myself .
I'm 19 & a college Sophomore. I am a biochemistry major and my gpa stands at a 3.91.
I haven't taken an MCAT and I don't plan to take it until my senior year ( ill explain why in a few) . I am a member of 2 school clubs & I received an offer to be treasurer in one and Public relations person in the second .
I'm going to start a 6 month pre med program in a few weeks
I'm also doing post sandy hurricane cleaning this week with a school club
I plan on doing more volunteer work in two more hospitals, a nursing home , research with the biochemistry professor in my university .
I've done tutoring in various subjects
Oh ! & I'm a New York Resident
The reason I'm not taking my mcat earlier is because I want to be very prepared for it and I want to complete some of my goals before doing so.
Now my question is , am I on the right track so far for medical school ( specifically SUNY downstate, SUNY upstate and SUNY stonybrook) . I would also like to know if there are any extra curriculum's that I can do that would boost my chances.